• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi i am 21 years old and my boyfriend of 3 yrs was diagnosed with crohns last year, it was a huge shock and has meant that our relationship does not feel like an ordinary young relationship, we talk about his illness but it scares me more than i let him know and it is good to know that there are forums like this available, its difficult for us because our friends and family who would help us through most problems have very little understanding about what this illness means for a young male who now finds it difficult to deal with the pain an can't do all the things he used to, i am also aware that however bad it seems now it will continue to get worse, there is no "getting better" as such and this is alot to take in, and i want to help but other than talk about it with him and help him monitor his diet there is very little i can do and i feel kind of helpless...he recently got told that he will be starting intravenous medication, what does that involve? how often will he need to do it? what does this mean for him? any thoughts would be really appreciated, thanks :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and a most hearty welcome to you. I'm so glad you sought us out :) A few things:

1. Yes, a diagnosis of Crohn's Disease will no doubt change your relationship forever. However, it doesn't have to be for the worse.

2. While there is no cure at present, he can "get better" in that he can go into remission. The key is finding the means necessary for him to achieve that goal.

3. Intravenous medication means that he will receive medication directly into his blood via a vein. What it involves depends on the type of medication. What medications is he on currently? Do you know what type of medication they're planning on giving him?

I suggest really working to educate yourself about Crohn's Disease. There's a tremendous wealth of information on this forum that can help you become an advocate for your boyfriend. This can make all the difference in the world.

I wish you both nothing but the best!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome :) I am really pleased that you have taken the time to find out more about the disease. With regards to intravenous drugs I think the docs will do what we call 'loading' doses which are only perhaps 2-3 weeks apart, if they get a good response they will most probably try and taper these to being further apart, maybe eventually being every 8 weeks or so. Is your boyfriend interested in looking on the forum with you? There is so much info available here so it may help for him have a look as well. When does he next have an appt to discuss this new treatment?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! You may not realize it, but you are doing a lot for your boyfriend. Simply supporting him and showing him you love and care for him is so important. It's easy to become depressed when dealing with a chronic illness, and it is so important to know your family, friends, and significant other love you no matter what.

Crohn's can cause more complications in life, but it's certainly not the end to life. There are so many forum members who have very happy, productive lives. There will be challenging times, but with the right treatment, there can be long periods of remission where symptoms are so little or non-existent.

I sure hope your boyfriend's new treatment plan (perhaps Remicade??) will get him feeling well soon!

Welcome! Crohn's is certainly not a death sentence. Of the 9 years I've been diagnosed, I've spent 6 in perfect health with NO symptoms! Remissions are possible (though sometimes difficult to achieve). The most common IV drug is Remicade/infliximab. That's the one I'm on and it's helping somewhat. I haven't been on it long, though. My diagnosis came at age 23 and was a shock to me and my husband. There's definitely an adjustment period, and I did go through a major depression after diagnosis. We got all that straightened out (thanks to zoloft and therapy) and we just take things a day at a time. It will be ok!