• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So many questions

Hi there, I am a 37 year old mother of four recently diagnosed with Crohns. I was given Lialda and not sure how much its helping. I am still trying to figure out what triggers a flare but so far I think oranges and nuts are on the list for sure. But I was wondering, how fast after I eat a food can it bother me? Are we talking minutes or days? I am having pain now and after reading posts I do think that it was the darn pecans...:frown: Do many people have a problem cooking with soy sauce or teriyaki (sp) sauce? And what do you take to help with a flare? Any advice for a newb would be great lol.

Food can affect you within minutes, hours or days. It will depend upon your sensitivity level to the food(s). Can be different for different foods. One can trigger D and others can trigger constipation; depends upon your body and its sensitivity. Soy sauce negatively affects me. Certain nuts are triggers as well.

I found digestive enzymes help with getting belly back in line, if foods begin stomach distress. Probiotics are also helpful.

A good allergy profile may help you determine your diet.

Hope this helps!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! I'm so glad you joined but I'm of course sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

As mickey stated, timescale for foods and their affects can vary wildly and it's so incredibly complicated. But make no mistake, diet is an incredibly integral part of managing your disease. Be sure to check out our diet and fitness forum as there is a wealth of info there. And of course, ask any specific questions you have.

Again, welcome, I hope this forum helps you a lot :)

so many questions

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and helpful replies! Its so crazy to me how fast this all seemed to come upon me though its most likely been there longer than I realized. Ithis forum has been so helpful already and I know I will be on it often.thx again!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome! If it helps I have always been told that nuts (all of them) and foods with little pips and seeds are a definite no no as these aggrivate the bowel. After that is does depend on the individual, looks like you may be like me and acidic things are not good either. The diet forum will be of a big help in this area. How long have you been on the Lialda? What symptoms are you getting at mo and how severe would you say they are?

soo many questions

Well I am feeling better atm. I was having D and cramping for a few days. I was wondering if it may have been the potato skins instead of the nuts...I am so new to this and forget that skins arent the best. I have read much of the forum and it was so helpful and will give me an idea what to watch out for. I have been on Lialda for about 2 months now and it has helped the blood and mucus go away. Are there any other diseases or health issues that seem to be connected to CD? I had a test come back positive for an autoimmune disease and have problems with my thyroid too. Thanks again all for the help and patience!!!

soo many questions

Well my oh my...that explains a lot. I have been fighting fatigue, aches and pains, weight gain, hair loss for a long time. I have an appt to see an RA doc in a few months and have seen an endocin. who says I most likely have subacute thyroiditis....pfft. No help for that. I dont know what to think...that list is scary and depressing. Guess maybe I will browse this forum a little more. Thanks so much again.

Fatigue, hair loss, weight gain can also be signs from your thyroid trouble. Make sure you see a good endocronologist to address the thyroid issue(s). good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Based upon your extraintestinal symptoms, I would STRONGLY suggest getting your vitamin D, vitamin B12, and folate levels checked if you haven't recently. People with Crohn's Disease are commonly deficient in them and such deficiencies can lead to the exact symptoms you are reporting.

Please do this if you haven't recently. You'll be glad you did.

sooo many questions

I sure will and thanks for the recommendation! I am so tired of being tired and if this will help I will do it asap!!!!!!!
Thanks so much for all your information!!!