Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Good Travel Insurance with Crohns?

02-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Liverpool FC

Good Travel Insurance with Crohns?

I'm trying to find a travel insurance provider who covers crohns. A bit of detail here; I'm going later this year from the UK to Australia for a year hopefully and have had two companies say they will not cover the crohns so far.

I also have incredibly mild (thankfully) asthma and hayfever but neither are really an issue.

I've never really had any bother with my crohns (well not enough to require hospitalisation - but it did affect me) until my stricture really started playing up in about March or April and I had a resection & stricureplasty which unfortunately ruptured. This meant another op for a temp ileostomy and then a subsequent reversal in June. These were the first times I had ever been a patient in a hospital.

Since then I have been fine and I'm worried that my previous years of not needing operations even when I was relatively bad etc will be overlooked and the fact that a procedure (the strictureplasty) that was not mentioned until post-op and effectively caused the resultant 2 further operations will somehow be used to judge the seriousness of my condition.

Anyway I'm putting this out there for any help, tips or advice and hopefully some reccomendations of insurers!

Thanks!
Calcium
B12

SB resection 2011
Reversed lleostomy 2011

Last edited by Liverpool FC; 02-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.
02-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
rygon

My Support Groups:
If you join the UK forum area http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=30910 this gives you more info on UK specific proble

There was a post about this just last week ... heres the info....

heres what crohns and colitis UK say
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/d...el_and_IBD.pdf

and a list of insurers
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/d...Qinsurance.pdf
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Rebecca85

I went to the Dominican republic a few months after being diagnosed. I found that most insurers were only interested in whether you had been hospitalised in the last two years or not.

The majority would not touch me, but I found a company called flexicover which insured me for around 350. This may sound like a lot, but given the cost of the holiday (3000), my recent diagnosis and the fact that it was a 'world wide' holiday (a lot of insurers charge extra for the Americas, Carribean etc), I thought it was pretty good. The next cheapest insurer was over a grand!

Crohn's and Colitis Uk have a fact sheet on insurance with some helpful company names too.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Liverpool FC

Thanks Rygon - I joined and see the thread you were referring to!

Yeah Rebecca I will check them out for a quote and see what they say.

The insurance & IBD pdf is great - good list of companies there to work through to hopefully get some competitive quotes!

Thanks guys!
02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Its so easy travel insurance..you can do it all on line. Even after hospital stays etc with crohns you can get a quote on line. I have used several times and hey are recommended by the scottish patients association and NACC.
It only cost me about 30 pounds for a 2 week trip to America! They won't give me annual trip cover though, whereas they did my family.

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
rygon

My Support Groups:
Forgot to say check this site out as well for some good info http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...avel-insurance
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Liverpool FC

Has anyone got any experience with this company?

http://www.world-first.co.uk/home/tr...ms/crohns.aspx

Still gathering up info on different companies
08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
kat-y

My Support Groups:
I used World First after being refused by lots of other companies as I was travelling 9 months after surgery + numerous hospitalisation ( albeit for the wrong things before my Crohns diagnosis). They were very efficient - I got an annual cover for the whole family & they cover me as well in the event of Crohns related issue. Cost was very reasonable and I renewed again this year as they were excellent to deal with even when I mislaid my documents the day we were flying . Would recommend. Had to do it by phone though as website didn't cover the more complicated medical situation..I got their name from NACC.
Good luck on your trip
Now on Azathioprine, VitD, B12
08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Liverpool FC

Just an update World First did provide me with a quote for cover at almost 800 for the year, so many more have refused that I have lost count but World Wide Insure have given me a quote for less than half of that.

I've went through it all and it seems to be fine so that may be an option for others

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Good Travel Insurance with Crohns?