• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Had my egd yesterday

Ugh. I wish the sedative worked the way it was supposed to. They had to give me 2 doses to sedate me in the beginning and I became very alert in the middle and was trying to pull the scope out and tell them it hurt. They must have given me another dose because I don't remember anything between that and waking in recovery. Dr said he did see some redness and inflammation in my stomach, but that could be from me trying to throw up to get the scope out, he isn't sure. He said everything else looks fine, but he took biopsies from the stomach and the small intestine and I'm to call his office next week to get the results. Not very hopeful at this point that I'm going to get any real answers.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That sounds awful, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I hope the biopsies can shed some light on what's causing your illness. If not, though, don't give up hope. If it is Crohn's, it can manifest anywhere from mouth to anus. The scopes only see a very small bit of either end of the small intestine, which means that there's a whole lot of small intesine that hasn't been examined yet. If this comes back normal, you might want to ask about the pill cam. It can't take biopsies, but can see the entirety of the small intestine. I'm trying to remember, have you had any imaging tests like CT or MRI or small bowel follow-thru? Those can get an okay look at your small intestine as well.

I've had a colonoscopy and a ct scan with contrast. Colonoscopy was with previous gi and ct scan was last week in the er. Both were normal. I know it can take a while, my sister was sick for years, but was heavy like me and kept getting told she was just big. Then she was diagnosed crohns, had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction, was told that there was no sign of crohns during surgery and that wasn't it, then had the biopsies from the surgery confirm it was crohns. I'm just hoping the biopsies show something.