Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diets and Supplements for Crohn's Disease and other IBD

09-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Kristin1979

My Support Groups:
Also...in addition to Vitamin B6 I take iron and Vitamin C. I've also been thinking about taking krill oil because of the omega-3 fatty acids benefits. Should I do this, or be careful about mixing these vitamins/supplements?

RX: Lialda, Fluoxetine, Lisinopril, Novolog
OTC: Vitamins B-6, C; iron, Centrum multivitamin

10-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Rickyjames123

Follow a systematic routine and avoid junk food. Drink lot of water minimum 5 liters a day.take a proper sleep of min 8 hrs.
use a nice shampoo and avoid your hairs from dirt and dust. Oil your hair regularly.
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
GI-Jane

I have been having a hard time figuring out which diet ( scd, fodmap, gaps etc) to try as they as mentioned above contradict each other. I have uc and can't be on 5-Asa's and my prednisone is almost done its cycle but have no back up and am not in remission yet. I am making bone broth, have started juicing (esp with cabbage) and am wondering if anyone has had success with:
l glutamate
Serraptese
Boswellia
03-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #34
hugh

My Support Groups:
I have been having a hard time figuring out which diet ( scd, fodmap, gaps etc) to try as they as mentioned above contradict each other.
I've never found the SCD/Paleo/GAPS/Primal diets contradictory, they vary in a few minor details (dairy, peanuts, tubers) but they are 90-95% the same diet.

I've found paleo works best for me and is easiest to follow, but GAPS and SCD have introductory diets aimed at an easier transition for people with digestive trouble so i would recommend starting with one of their introductory diets whichever diet you try.
All will need a little tweaking and some foods may not be able to be introduced until later for many and you will find some 'legal' foods just don't agree, while some 'illegal' foods seem fine.
FODMAPS is based on a different theory to the others and is different (but complimentary), it may be best used in conjunction with Paleo/SCD/GAPS if Paleo/SCD/GAPS don't work on their own.

After a couple of years of paleo i have found that the "perfect health diet" [1] works fine for me, and is an easier diet than paleo (white rice is allowed) but stresses the importance of fermented foods like GAPS. His theory on IBD makes more sense (to me) than the SCD/GAPS, but you may need to restrict carbs for a while ( like SCD/GAPS/Paleo) to bring gut flora back under control

It might be an easier way to start off and you can keep moving to stricter diets if needed, ending up with the Paleo Auto-Immune protocol[2], which is not easy to follow but thankfully only used for a limited time.

Others like to go for something extreme like the AI protocol and then work their way back to a paleo or primal diet.

Horses for courses, your choice.

[1] http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07...g-gut-disease/
[2] http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmun...mmune-protocol
03-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #35
Annika

... but you may need to restrict carbs for a while ( like SCD/GAPS/Paleo) to bring gut flora back under control
Thanks for the info, Hugh.
Where can you get 'good' carbohydrates from, in order not to be underweight?
I understand wheat, potatoes etc. are 'forbidden'.

My husband has lost a lot of weight before and after surgery, only eats liquids now, chicken or vegetable soups - with cabs like potatoes.
If he leaves out also the potatoes, he will be far underweight in no time.

Protein drinks could help, but I suppose you also need some cabs.

Thanks
03-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
hugh

My Support Groups:
I wouldn't worry about 'getting enough carbs', we've been brainwashed into thinking that we need them but once your body adapts it can run just fine on fat and protein with very few carbs.
I went from eating huge amounts and loosing weight to eating less and gaining weight when i gave up carbs because my intestines healed and i started absorbing what i was eating.
Many people find that Very Low Carb diets (like SCD and GAPS and low-carb paleo) are fine for the long term. Short term there will not be problems, and then carbs can be added slowly. All vegetables contain carbs, just not in the quantities that potatoes and grains do, so well-cooked vegies are usually enough.

If you go paleo then tubers are 'OK', sweet potatoes, pumpkin, turnips etc.
On SCD i'm not so sure, many will not be legal.
On the perfect health diet white rice is allowed.

You will have to find out for yourself what works, but i would recommend trialling one diet at a time (if you're trying SCD then eat SCD, if you're trying paleo then eat paleo). Probiotic foods are avery good idea but start slowly.
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
Annika

Thanks, Hugh.
04-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #38
chicky402

My Support Groups:
Here is my question for everyone. I had a right colectomy and part of my intestines removed at the end of January. The doctor currently says I am in remission. Since I have gained weight and it is a challenge to get it off. Is anyone experiencing this as well, or have any suggestions? also, I am always in the bathroom so I am wondering why I am gaining rather than loosing.
07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #39
Irish86

My Support Groups:
Doesn't everyone have there own thing that works for them but not you. Try all see what works for you. My thing is I stay away from a lot of certain foods . When I'm out I eat differently than the way I eat at home where I cheat a bit more. Done different things it's always been hit or miss. I exercise very active and sometimes that hurts you to because cause you always can't drink what you need because of possible flare ups.
11-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #40
Aimee Cook

Hi,

I've been dieting based of an MRT test that I had done and it seems to be making things better, but I was also reading about supplements. Currently Im taking fish oil and, and a probiotic with a daily vitamin to make sure that Im getting all the needed vitamins. I was wondering about Clay supplements usually used for healing and detox. Is there anything I should know about that could be putting me at risk of health complications? I've come so far.
11-03-2014, 03:04 AM   #41
hugh

My Support Groups:
Here is my question for everyone. I had a right colectomy and part of my intestines removed at the end of January. The doctor currently says I am in remission. Since I have gained weight and it is a challenge to get it off. Is anyone experiencing this as well, or have any suggestions? also, I am always in the bathroom so I am wondering why I am gaining rather than loosing.
Are you on medication that could be causing this?
Is your diet high in carbs or processed foods.
Those are the first things to check.
Only eat nutrient dense real food (not empty carbs)

Lots of walking and short bursts of intensive exercise (not hours on a treadmill or stupid stuff like that)
05-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #42
MjH

Hello, really have a question that worrys me. Does whey protein along with remicade treatment cause problems or malfunctions to the kidneys and liver??
07-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #43
Madhu

My Support Groups:
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. My husband was dx with Crohn's in Feb 2015. After 2 surgeries for seton placement (2 fistulas), 1 month of latent TB medication (since we are from India), he is now set to start Remicade next week. I've just decided on a semi-bland diet that seems to be working pretty ok with him. He is craving for normal food and it is so heart breaking for me to deny a 28 yr old man what he wants

I have been looking for a good food journal/diary to help me log his diet. Can someone help me find a link or anything that will be helpful?

Thanks
Aarthi
04-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #44
mkjj

Hi,

I'm new to the whole online chat thing and actually stumbled across this site as I was doing some research. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 16. I battled it for many years before having an ileostomy. My life definitely improved after surgery, but I was still having difficulty absorbing all the vitamins and nutrients my body needed. In fact, I was having to go in for iron infusions every six months. About 3 years ago a friend told me about Juice Plus. At that point I was willing to try anything. After taking Juice Plus for 3 years I can honestly say I feel like a new person. I have more energy, I am able to fight off the flu and colds (I teach) and best of all, it has been 2 years since my last iron infusion.
05-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #45
scl

There is a big difference between vegetarian, raw vegan and vegan. I would like to see vegan as an listing on its own.
Currently on: No medication
Supplements: probiotic, bone health supplement, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D
07-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #46
Tommy21bn

My Support Groups:
Hi All, has anyone ever taken electrolyte tablets as a supplement and can share their experiences of them?
09-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #47
CrohnsNo

I would highly recommend incorporating Chia seeds into your diet if you're able to tolerate them. I've been on a flare for about 3 years now, and finally started to feel better because my doctor put me on Humira, which seems to be working. However, my stool still wasn't solid. I've been having chia seeds, soaked in water, every day for about a week now, and the last few days I have noticed I've been feeling a lot better. My stool is more formed, and I've been having less bowel movements throughout the day. Yay!
10-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #48
Jaredj

My Support Groups:
I'd highly recommend trying a gluten free diet. After years of struggling, it wasn't until I cut gluten out of what I ate that I saw a complete turnaround of my disease. Now it wasn't easy by any means, bread/wheat just always sounds so appealing, not to mention it seems to be in almost everything we eat.. But seriously though, if your still struggling with IBD symptoms and haven't tried eliminating wheat/gluten from your diet you really need to.
10-26-2016, 02:37 AM   #49
Jaredj

My Support Groups:
Since were on the topic of supplements here in this thread, I'd like to very much recommend Boswellia Serrata (Frankincense) resin extract. I'm too new to this forum to post any links for you guys, but the wiki briefly mentions some of the Crohn's/Colitis studies that have been done with it. Specifically the Boswellic acids in it, as they exhibit anti-inflammatory behaviour by inhibiting leukotriene synthesis.
I can testify to just how effective this stuff is, and if you haven't used it before then you really should consider giving it a try.
10-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Since were on the topic of supplements here in this thread, I'd like to very much recommend Boswellia Serrata (Frankincense) resin extract. I'm too new to this forum to post any links for you guys, but the wiki briefly mentions some of the Crohn's/Colitis studies that have been done with it. Specifically the Boswellic acids in it, as they exhibit anti-inflammatory behaviour by inhibiting leukotriene synthesis.
I can testify to just how effective this stuff is, and if you haven't used it before then you really should consider giving it a try.
Thanks. Are you using the tincture form like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Frankincense-.../dp/B00R9C6M5E

Here is the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franki...dical_research
06-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #51
Glockola

Hey all!

How come our doctors only check b12 and folate?
Doesn't sound proper to me. Looks like we could miss a lot of mild deficiencies. Which are making us tired.
If we can not absorb them fine.
We can take weekly injections.
Seem really stupid to me.

Anyone can recommmend some good vitamin supplements????

Thank you all!
06-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #52
Glockola

I think B-complex injections is the way to go.
I dont trust pills as we might not be able to absorb them.
Can inject monthly at home. Anyone knows how to approach a pharmacist or doctor about this?
10-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #53
MaryCherub

Still seeking

But so far, I have found the following to be very beneficial:

Barberry - best - but can only use very short term
Vegetable Juicing
Vitamin C
Boswellia
Iron
Zinc
Turmeric
Chia Seed Gel
Moringa
Vitamin D
Holy Basil
Slippery Elm
Udo's Oil
Licorice - the herbal stuff - not the candy stuff

I don't absorb or breakdown pills well (often come out intact; as they went in!), so now only take things in liquid extracts or liquid tinctures or teas, from my herbalist.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3271691/

Anything is worth a try. Some things have worked well and some have not. For example, I found Aloe Vera juice made me worse, whereas some people swear by it.
10-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #54
rawrish

Anyone used CBG instead of CBD with results?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diets and Supplements for Crohn's Disease and other IBD