• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new here

I've had GI issues for years. I was having nausea and severe pain. Most of the pain was on the left side. I went to the ER. The CT scan showed "thickening of the distal descending colon and the proximal sigmoid colon." It also said the thickening "can be seen with infectious/inflammatory process." My WBC was also high. The ER doctor said it was colitis. She gave me some pain meds and said to follow up with my primary care doctor.

My symptoms got worse, and I went back to the ER the next day. My WBC was still high and some of my other labs were off. They decided to admit me. I was given Flagyl, Senokot-S, Zofran, and pain meds. They did some stool tests, which were negative. One was not ran because it was not collected properly. The other did not come back yet.

One doctor I saw seemed to think some of the pain is "in my head." She said it could still be IBS. They didn't want to do a colonoscopy or upper endoscopy. Because the one I had a few years ago did not really show anything. They did not do any blood tests for inflammation or anything. Also, I had foot surgery in October 2011. I was on oxycodone. She said the constipation from that could be causing some of the issues.

I stayed 3 days. I'm on the same meds. I see my primary care doctor Friday. I wasn't sure how to talk to her about my GI issues. I'm afraid she may also think it's "in my head." A nurse called me after I was discharged. She said the thickening could cause that much pain and nausea. She also said I could still have an infection/inflammation.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! I'm glad you found your way here but I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems. A couple things:

1. As soon as a doctor says, "In your head" be sure to find another doctor. Your head does not cause what your CT scan showed.

2. DO NOT let your GP diagnose you with IBS and send you on your way. Ask for a referral to a GI.

Again, welcome! Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I know it will be hard but please get straight onto your GP and make them do a referral to a GI, you have the CT result so I don't think there is anyway the can say it is all in your head. Up to date bloods need to be done and the doc who said you don't need a scope is an idiot! Just because a colonoscopy from YEARS ago was clear does not mean one now will be. If they had a stool sample come back negative where on earth do they get the idea of an infection?? Really hope you can get onto the right investigative track with this, keep us updated :hug:

Thanks for the responses.

The nurse who called after I was discharged mentioned a possible infection. She said the stool samples don't show all types of infections. Also, I could have overgrown good bacteria. She may have also based it on some of the blood/urine results. She said to keep taking the Flagyl.

The blood tests I had in the hospital were: CBC, differential, renal, liver, blood gas, hemostasis, and prealbumin. They did not perform any specialized blood tests. They did run urine tests.

The hospital has a GI clinic. I do not want to go back there. They brushed me off in the past. I heard other patients complaining that they had trouble with the GI clinic. There may be another GI I can see. I don't have insurance, so my options are limited.

I think it's strange they wont do another scope. Especially since my recent symptoms.

David

Co-Founder
If you don't have insurance you may want to see if your state has assistance. This may be quite a journey for you so it's best to start looking for that help now. If you let us know your state, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

I wish you well.

I don't think I'm eligible for Ohio state assistance. I have financial assistance through the hospital. They have different clinics. The assistance is also used for various hospital services.

There is another hospital with a GI clinic. I may be able to see them.