• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is my dosage to high for me?

Hi,
I have been on remicade for 5yrs and 3 months...everything was going good until about 6 months ago. I started having major flare ups and I wasn't able to eat and I got down to 105 lbs. I was at 125 lbs and my dosage is 600 mg. I lost the weight so my GI put me back on Imuran and steroids. Well my right shoulder and forearm started to hurt real bad. It was like a real sharp pain stabbing my shoulder and forearm, so I asked my nurse while I was receiving my infussion if I could get off the steroids. She had discussed it with my GI and he said to go ahead a wean off of them. So I did....hoping that the pain would go away, and it didn't. So I am wandering if my dosage is to high for me now, since I lost the weight. My nurse believes I should have it lowered and she discussed it with my GI and he told her no. He feels that the dosage is fine. Does anyone have any idea if the dosage is causing my pain?
Thank You
Edna

I'm not really sure myself, but a 20 lb weight loss seems like it would warrant some tweaking with the dosage. I am on 5mg/kg, so I am weighed each time I go in. The nurse puts it in computer and the pharmacy mixes it up then.

If it were me, I would ask to speak to the doctor myself and get a reason behind the no.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.