• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery tomorrow

It's my birthday!! Woohoo!!

Surgery tomorrow, peri-rectal abscess. Hopefully it's not bad. He thinks
I have a fistula and may have to put in a seton. Wish me
Luck guys!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Good luck and Happy Birthday! My colonoscopy was on my birthday Feb 2nd,,,nice.

Hope all goes well and keep us posted! Healing hugs.

Thank you guys, I am home now. Trying to force myself to eat the soup my mom made me. It is so good but I have no appetite.. Homemade vegetable soup.. My favorite.

The doctor did find a fistula. I'm pretty sure I have a seton in. I'm pretty sore but it's time for me to take my pain pills. I guess I'll eat some soup and pass out. I still haven't slept since I came home. I wanted to but my little girl was being so sweet.

I'm pretty sure he put a seton in. I'm pretty sore today. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon. Abscesses hurt!! Thank you. :) I go back next Wednesday for a check up on it.

Thank you, me too! I've been in pain from it for months. :( its really extremely sore still. I am tempted to call my surgeon and see if he can get me stronger or different medicine..

hi im about to have a similar operation i think. ive got a fistula too. how long did u stay in hospital and how bad is the pain after? worse than before the op? i personally am not in that much pain at all. i had an absess removed below to fistula and it never healed so thats how i found out it was a fistula. im due to see my surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss what to do. but im terrified! i was told that if the spinkter is cut i can have big problems like using a bag. what happened with u? im also so scared to stay overnight and of throwing up

hi im about to have a similar operation i think. ive got a fistula too. how long did u stay in hospital and how bad is the pain after? worse than before the op? i personally am not in that much pain at all. i had an absess removed below to fistula and it never healed so thats how i found out it was a fistula. im due to see my surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss what to do. but im terrified! i was told that if the spinkter is cut i can have big problems like using a bag. what happened with u? im also so scared to stay overnight and of throwing up
Sorry to butt in on the conversation, but I thought I might be able to offer you some advice.

I had a peri-anal abscess which was drained and turned into a fistula. I was put on Infliximab and was hoping that would help heal the fistula, but it sort of fumbled between opened & closed for a few months. It got to the point where I had another build up in that same spot, and so my Surgeon decided that a seton was the next best option.

As far as I know the placement of a seton is a pretty minor procedure in most cases and the recovery very quick. I went into hospital and came out of hospital the very same day. Most hospitals will want you out of there as soon as possible anyway.

Normally prior to your surgery the anaesthetist will ask you questions about your post-anaesthetic recovery with any previous surgery and I explained to them that I felt quite nauseous afterwards last time. So this time round when I woke up I was pain free and nauseous free because the anaesthetist had given me some really good drugs, which was really good for me because I hate the thought and feeling of vomiting.

If you have concerns or questions about the procedure, don't be afraid to ask your doctor or surgeon. Good luck!

Like I said, I am pretty sure I have a seton. Mine was a fistula wrapped around spinkter. I was in a considerable amount of pain before surgery. I'm pretty freaking sore now too. My pain pills don't help much but they have had me on Percocet for about a month. Maybe I have started building a tolerance to it. It's not unbearable, it's just in such an awkward place I suppose. I just have to lay down a lot. He said I would probably be feeling better aroun a week post op. I'm 3 days post op now. I will keep you updated so maybe you will know what to expect a bit.

Thank you very much! I feel pretty decent at the moment. *knock on wood. My doc called in some lortabs for me and I took that with my other pain medicine. Hopefully I can stay feeling okay. :)

Well I was diagnosed in November and had immediate surgery and i have a bag that will be reversed in may...?not bad at all....I stay depressed and exhausted. Do u guys have any advice for me?

Hi Kristenwl
I am sorry that you are struggling. I do not have a bag so I don't have advice for you - except to suggest that you post in the general area or the stoma forum. I think it will be more likely to get you help than posting in the fistula forum. Good luck!

thankyou everydaysahollyday and gabismom. i appreciate it. its made me feel a bit better knowing what im up for. thankyou both so much. gabismom i really hope u get better asap! ill keep checking on here to see ur updates to see how u r doing.

It's no problem, if you have any more questions let me know. It's gotten a lot better. I think the most incovinient thing for me now is going to the bathroom. It's pretty painful but bearable. I just feel sore afterwards and my doctor directed me to shower everyone I go. Gets kinda old. Haha.

I had a fistula that went through a sphincter - nothing like it!! It helped me to soak my butt in hot water several times a day. BM's were excruciating, with or without pain meds. Hope you heal quickly.

Thank you! Mine was wrapped around the muscle. I bet that was terrible!! How are you now? My surgeon keeps saying no baths but everyone else says do it..

I'm fine now - that was a few years ago, never had another fistula, thank goodness!

I'm not sure why your surgeon would say that, but I guess if that's what my doc said, I would do what he told me.

My surgeon insisted on frequent soaks - had to have a clean tub of course, but his comment was that there are already a lot of bacteria there, and that area is naturally equipped to deal with it. I agree with that!!

I agree as well, at first he said no because I had just had my gall bladder removed and he didn't want the incisions gettin infected. Now he still says no. I'm going to ask him again this week. Maybe I can pester him into saying yes!! Haha. They used to be like therapy to me. I miss soaking. :/ I may do it and not tell him but I'm kind of nervous to.

Yes, the long soaks were a nuisance until I got into the tub, then it was such relief!! The hot water took the soreness away for a while, and I believe it helped the wound to heal faster.

Different surgeons have different ideas. I know after my ab surgery (big scar) the surgeon insisted on a wet dressing, and the nurses disagreed. The nurses would wait until the Dr. was gone, and then used the dry dressing. When the surgeon changed the dressing, the nurses made faces behind his back.