• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What next?

Ok, so i've been having these more recent flare ups, back a few weeks ago.
After a particularly bad weekend in bed, i started feeling better only to discover the most excrutiating pain in my groin. So bad i had to go to the emerg.
After a brief and condencending appearance by a dr (told him about my bad weekend in bed with Crohn's, he said matter of factly that i have a urinary tract infection. NO connection.) Sorry doc, but i wanted to let you know all my symptoms..you know just in case. Anyhow this guy puts me on a sulphor based antibiotic. Well after a few days pain is gone and all seems fine.
A few days slip by and i'm feeling better. I still had an appointment to see my GI, you know concerning the bad flare ups. (background. i am currently only taking 4grms of Pentasa per day). After a brief meeting with my GI he feels that it might be best to set me up for some blood work, and a TB test. Possibility of adding Predisone to the mix.
The weekend comes and goes and i decide to mow my front lawn, now i don't normally have bad allergies, just the mild runny nose and itchy eyes. Well that day my eyes wouldn't stop watering. By Monday they were quite irritated. Tuesday they were so bad i thought i had pink eye, just no crusting though all watery. I went to the local afterhours clinic and was given a eye drop and a nasal spray, told to take some benadryl and that should do it.
Went home took the benadryl, and went to rest. Oh yeah i forgot to mention the antibiotic i was taking, now on day 7 of 10. I forgot to take my evening dose.
Good thing too.
Woke up in the morning with a rash over 80% of my body, all but my face, palms and my genitals. I was having difficulty breathing. So i got my wife to take me into emerg. After being rushed right in to a room, i was left to sit for an hour. Docs said it was allergy related, gave me some predisone, and told to go home come back and be re assessed in the am. Well that was what i want to call hell night i spent the whole time awake in severe pain from the rash, felt like my skin was on fire. And at this point the whites of my eyes were now red as blood, and the skin around it was starting to crack.
The next morning at the reassessment the doc conceited she was not sure what i had, and sent me to an Dermatologist right away. My first question was is this Stevens-Johnson syndrome. At that point it couldn't be ruled out.
The dermatologist proscribe, predisone for the next week, and some strong type of benadryl type pill, cortizone creme and special eye cream for the cracked skin.
Then i was sent for chest exrays.
Well things have started to straighten up, and go back to normal now. Its' been 3 days on the predisone, the skin is almost back to normal, eyes are all they way back to normal, and my breathing is fine.
I'm tired like never before.
And now i still have to go for my TB test.
When will this horror end!!!

what the hell is it with this disease???? if its not a flare up its some other damn thing our bodies are reacting to due to our comprimised immune system!

nice weekend you had there ITSME, feel for ya matey!

omg - what a scary experience, Meagain! thank goodness your symptoms have reduced in severity, it sounds absolutely awful.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this was just a one-off allergic reaction to something, and nothing too worrying.

just as a by-note, whether this is to do with my Crohns/immune system i don't know, but as i get older i get allergic to more and more things, and now carry an Epipen in my handbag, just in case.