• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member with Crohn's.

M

md87

Hello,

I am 21 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn’s in March 2008, but have had the symptoms for about a year.
I have been on Prednisolone since March and I am also on Pentasa - 500mg tablets 8 times a day (4,000mg daily) . I have felt much better since being on the Prednisolone as they are helping the inflammation, but I still do not feel 100% in myself.

I was just wondering, once I am fully off Prednisolone and just taking Pentasa, will I still get the stomach pains that I was getting? or is a lot different once the inflammation is gone?

I am also on calcichew tablets. Do I only take these whist I’m on Prednisolone or are they permanent tablets like Pentasa?

I would be grateful if someone could help me.
Thanks.

Kev

Pred can cause calcium issues, that's one of the reasons we can't stay on it long term.. least not without bone density scans. so taking extra calcium while on it is a good thing. However ,depending on where your GI tract is inflamed, it may not be able to absorb calcium as efficiently; so tho u stop the pred, your body maybe unable to get enuff calcium from your diet. many of us take it even tho not on pred.

coming off the pred MAY result in the pains returning. Pred is usually a stopgap treatment.. sometimes it can cause a remission that lasts, other times just a brief vacation till your doc finds a drug or treatment that works. don't be too upset if it does return.. there are other ways to treat this.. just read some of the posts here as to what others are doing that's working for them, okay?

Last edited:
hiya Md and welcome :)

i think i can honestly say too, that i haven't felt 100% in years, some days are better than others, some weeks of feeling yuk drag on and on..

i am completely with Pen on the stress issue - it does make us worse, and so does lack of rest/relaxation.

i'm glad you found us - everyone here is very supportive and informative, and collectively have a lot of experience with Crohns, the various meds, and diet etc..