Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Prednisone and diabetes don't mix!

02-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Prednisone and diabetes don't mix!

I have been on the pred for three weeks now at 20mg twice a day and I am diabetic! Yes, you guessed it my bg levels have skyrocketed! Last Wednesday my endocrinologist added 5mg of glipizide to my Victoza injection and 1000mg of metformin twice a day, but bg levels are still so high! In the 300s and 400s. I will start my taper once I start Humira. Of course there have been a few insurance issues to deal with, so the earliest I will start will be the end of next week. I am also so dehydrated and constipated, but manic at the same time! Crazy lol! So I am trying to hydrate, watch what I eat and drinking benefiber. I might be taking a trip to the ER later if I can not hydrate myself! Just needed to vent! Thank you!
January 2012: stricture found in terminal ileum, balloon dilation
Remission as of January 2014!
02-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

YIKES!!! I bet they did!

When do you start Humira? Not soon enough I bet! I hope you are able to keep a balance and don't end up at the ER. Good luck hun...

Dusty.
02-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dusty! Hopefully I will start the Humira by the end of this next week, like you said not soon enough!
02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Carol, that is just dangerous! I'm no expert, but it seems like you should be monitored very closely! Bless you. I wonder you arent in hospital right now!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
02-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Misty, I think I will be going shortly! Things are not improving!
02-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Good luck darling, you need to be in hospital.
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
carolhew

My Support Groups:
So I did go to the ER. They hooked me up to an IV, increased one of my diabetic meds and told me to take some miralax when I got home. Oh, just hydrating I feel so much better! ER doc said it was all due to the pred and to also push liquids! Come on Humira, I am so ready to get rid of the pred!
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
carolhew

My Support Groups:
So I did go to the ER. They hooked me up to an IV, increased one of my diabetic meds and told me to take some miralax when I got home. Oh, just hydrating I feel so much better! ER doc said it was all due to the pred and to also push liquids! Come on Humira, I am so ready to get rid of the pred!
02-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear you are better! Hope you are tapering on the pred?
02-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
David
Co-Founder

Awww, sorry you've been having troubles Carol

*hugs*

Please take no offense but I merged your two threads into this one since they were the same.
02-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Thank you David!
02-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Argh I'm so sorry! That must be so frustrating. I hope they get you off of the dreaded Pred soon. Come on Humira do your job!

Hope you are feeling better now, or at least feel better soon. *big hugs*
02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Nic, it has been so frustrating! I now have a repiratory infection! So I have no idea when I will start the Humira, hopefully this will not put it back to far!
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Carol, hope you are antibiotics for that infection! You'll prevail and get over this and Humira here you come.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Oh gosh, you really can't catch a break! Hang in there. It might be a while but it will all get sorted. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Do something nice and take some time for yourself if you can, you deserve it.
02-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #16
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Thank you everyone! The support has been greatly appreciated! I am going to the Dr. In the morning to get some antibiotics. I know in a week or so, I will be looking back and laughing at my week from hell!
02-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
carolhew

My Support Groups:
Well it just took all week to get in touch with the endocrinologist's office and I will be starting insulin on Monday. No small feat! They wanted to schedule my appointment for March 12th, I went pred on them! Explained how long I had been on the pred, how high bg levels have been and that I can not wait, it worked! My husband suggested I find a new Dr in the future.
Took my last antibiotic for the pred induced respiratory infection, feeling a little better. I get to start Humira in 2 weeks if the infection goes away! I am so ready!
I hope to never take pred again, once I taper off this regime. Which sounds like it is going to be at least 2 more months of this fun drug!

Thank you everyone for the support, it has been greatly appreciated!

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
02-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Nice work standing your ground. I think getting your blood sugar under control should be a top priority. Hope they have you feeling much better soon.
02-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I like the "I went Pred on them" !!!

As long as you get it sorted!! Hope this does the trick!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Prednisone and diabetes don't mix!