• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and diabetes don't mix!

I have been on the pred for three weeks now at 20mg twice a day and I am diabetic! Yes, you guessed it my bg levels have skyrocketed! Last Wednesday my endocrinologist added 5mg of glipizide to my Victoza injection and 1000mg of metformin twice a day, but bg levels are still so high! In the 300s and 400s. I will start my taper once I start Humira. Of course there have been a few insurance issues to deal with, so the earliest I will start will be the end of next week. I am also so dehydrated and constipated, but manic at the same time! Crazy lol! So I am trying to hydrate, watch what I eat and drinking benefiber. I might be taking a trip to the ER later if I can not hydrate myself! Just needed to vent! Thank you!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
YIKES!!! :eek2: I bet they did!

When do you start Humira? Not soon enough I bet! I hope you are able to keep a balance and don't end up at the ER. Good luck hun...:goodluck:

Dusty. :heart:

Terriernut

Carol, that is just dangerous! I'm no expert, but it seems like you should be monitored very closely! Bless you. I wonder you arent in hospital right now!

So I did go to the ER. They hooked me up to an IV, increased one of my diabetic meds and told me to take some miralax when I got home. Oh, just hydrating I feel so much better! ER doc said it was all due to the pred and to also push liquids! Come on Humira, I am so ready to get rid of the pred!

So I did go to the ER. They hooked me up to an IV, increased one of my diabetic meds and told me to take some miralax when I got home. Oh, just hydrating I feel so much better! ER doc said it was all due to the pred and to also push liquids! Come on Humira, I am so ready to get rid of the pred!

David

Co-Founder
Awww, sorry you've been having troubles Carol :(

*hugs*

Please take no offense but I merged your two threads into this one since they were the same. :)

Argh I'm so sorry! That must be so frustrating. I hope they get you off of the dreaded Pred soon. Come on Humira do your job!

Hope you are feeling better now, or at least feel better soon. *big hugs*

Nic, it has been so frustrating! I now have a repiratory infection! So I have no idea when I will start the Humira, hopefully this will not put it back to far!

Terriernut

Carol, hope you are antibiotics for that infection! You'll prevail and get over this and Humira here you come.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh gosh, you really can't catch a break! Hang in there. It might be a while but it will all get sorted. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Do something nice and take some time for yourself if you can, you deserve it.

Thank you everyone! The support has been greatly appreciated! I am going to the Dr. In the morning to get some antibiotics. I know in a week or so, I will be looking back and laughing at my week from hell!

Well it just took all week to get in touch with the endocrinologist's office and I will be starting insulin on Monday. No small feat! They wanted to schedule my appointment for March 12th, I went pred on them! Explained how long I had been on the pred, how high bg levels have been and that I can not wait, it worked! My husband suggested I find a new Dr in the future.
Took my last antibiotic for the pred induced respiratory infection, feeling a little better. I get to start Humira in 2 weeks if the infection goes away! I am so ready!
I hope to never take pred again, once I taper off this regime. Which sounds like it is going to be at least 2 more months of this fun drug!

Thank you everyone for the support, it has been greatly appreciated!

Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice work standing your ground. I think getting your blood sugar under control should be a top priority. Hope they have you feeling much better soon.