• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

For the Ladies (Menstrual)

Before i had my colon removed my periods were getting heavier, but weren't that bad. I'm 34 years old by the way. Anyhow, after my colon was removed a year ago, my periods are very heavy for three days and I have bad cramps. I can't even make it through the night without bleeding through my underwear. It seems like I need to change my tampon every hour or two throughout the day. I never used to have periods this heavy. Has anyone else noticed a change in thier periods since surgery or is it that I'm just getting older?

PsychoJane

Hmmm I don't have the before and after comparison since I never had my period before my colon was removed but I always have heavy periods... I don't know if there is a link with the surgery to be made though. Good question.

Terriernut

Mine became more irregular and heavier after surgery. I had thought since its been over a year now, they would've gotten normal, but not for me. Bear in mind only part of my colon was removed. However I had a really large fistula through my left fallopian tube, so I always put it down to that. (and my age, pushing 50) But now I wonder..............

I have to wear pads now, no choice in the matter at night. I would be asking for an ultrasound from a gyno to see whats going on with you Kris.

Nyx

Mine are really heavy now too, but don't seem to last as long (I guess I've traded one thing for another). I too have to change tampons every hour or two for about 2-3 days, but then it tapers for the next day and I'm done. Prior to my surgery I'd have my period for a week or so, but not as heavy (except on the first day). I just wear a tampon and a pad and get on with it. Fortunately I don't have the cramps to go with it, but I do get diarrhea sometimes - and having a colostomy I don't get that often so it upsets me....lol

I've not noticed a change with mine, but I'm on the contraceptive pil so my periods aren't "real" periods anyway.

Like Misty said, I would go and get it checked out.

Thank you ladies. I'm going to call for an appointment soon. So sick of it. For the entire week before my period I am exhausted and feel and look like hell. It never used to be this hard on me. I wish they would have yanked my uterus when they took my colon.