Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » For the Ladies (Menstrual)

02-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Kris

For the Ladies (Menstrual)

Before i had my colon removed my periods were getting heavier, but weren't that bad. I'm 34 years old by the way. Anyhow, after my colon was removed a year ago, my periods are very heavy for three days and I have bad cramps. I can't even make it through the night without bleeding through my underwear. It seems like I need to change my tampon every hour or two throughout the day. I never used to have periods this heavy. Has anyone else noticed a change in thier periods since surgery or is it that I'm just getting older?

Crohn's Diagnosis: 1996 at age 19.

Current Diagnosis: Unknown. Might be Colitis as of March 2011.

Past Medications: Prednisone, Asacol, Pentasa, Canasa, Entocort, 6mp, Humira, Cimzia, Flagyl, and Cipro.

Current Medication: 6mp

Surgeries: Total removal of colon (rectum was saved) with temporary ileostomy in Feb. 2011.

I'm sorry, but I can't be a ray of freakin sunshine every day of the week!
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Hmmm I don't have the before and after comparison since I never had my period before my colon was removed but I always have heavy periods... I don't know if there is a link with the surgery to be made though. Good question.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
02-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Mine became more irregular and heavier after surgery. I had thought since its been over a year now, they would've gotten normal, but not for me. Bear in mind only part of my colon was removed. However I had a really large fistula through my left fallopian tube, so I always put it down to that. (and my age, pushing 50) But now I wonder..............

I have to wear pads now, no choice in the matter at night. I would be asking for an ultrasound from a gyno to see whats going on with you Kris.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
02-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Mine are really heavy now too, but don't seem to last as long (I guess I've traded one thing for another). I too have to change tampons every hour or two for about 2-3 days, but then it tapers for the next day and I'm done. Prior to my surgery I'd have my period for a week or so, but not as heavy (except on the first day). I just wear a tampon and a pad and get on with it. Fortunately I don't have the cramps to go with it, but I do get diarrhea sometimes - and having a colostomy I don't get that often so it upsets me....lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

02-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've not noticed a change with mine, but I'm on the contraceptive pil so my periods aren't "real" periods anyway.

Like Misty said, I would go and get it checked out.

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Kris

Thank you ladies. I'm going to call for an appointment soon. So sick of it. For the entire week before my period I am exhausted and feel and look like hell. It never used to be this hard on me. I wish they would have yanked my uterus when they took my colon.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » For the Ladies (Menstrual)