• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Relationships for YA with crohns

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had insight / advice regarding romantic relationships for young adults living with crohn's. I'm 20 and have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. I started having a flare up about two months ago, this is the first time I've been sick since we've been dating. Recently he's been saying things like "well don't come if you don't want to". I don't know how many times I've explained that it's not because I don't WANT to go out and do things. It's because I feel like crap, and if I don't feel like crap I'm worried that I might start feeling like crap when I'm out and have to go I the bathroom every 5 minutes, then have to explain why I'm going to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

Any advice? Thanks!

KWalker

hey! you're from Guelph? I'm from St. Catharines! I'm only 21 so I know what you mean when people think it's because you don't want to do something because people think we're too young to not feel well or something. They don't understand. I would hope that since you've been dating for that long he would be atleast a little understanding. Does he know that you have crohns?

Hey! Yes I am from Guelph. :)

He knows I have crohns (we live together), but I don't think he's really taken the time to educate himself on it in depth. I feel like whenever I talk to him about it, he's not really listening. He knows he basics of the disease, but he hasn't really taken the initiative to try to understand what I'm feeling.

I lived in Waterloo, Ontario for one year. here is a tip.. you live together right. Leave articles open on your computer ( if you share one ) I accidentaly left on open on fatigue and crohns and my boyfriend looked at it and didnt realise It affected my energy levels so much. It helped