Share Facebook

02-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Gabismommy

Okay.. Dumb question..

I hate to sound like an ignorant idiot but what is a fissure guys? I have a peri-rectal abscess/fistula. I had a seton placed on Valentine's Day. Is a fissure something I should be aware/cautious of? Also, any advice on the seton,etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, you're the best!!

Loving my little girl and hoping to get into remission soon!

Add me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1756286518
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Slim Johnson

A fissure is something akin to a crack in the skin. Not a real big deal It's more of an annoyance that leads to itching and bleeding.. Of course, I am speaking from my experience. Others may have it worse.
02-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Like Slim says, tho I know some people here have problems with nasty, persistent ones. I believe sitz baths help, like they do with setons, abscesses etc to soothe and keep the area clean and that doctors can prescribe creams to help them heal if they are bad.
How is it going with the seton? Is it giving you some relief? There are quite a few threads here on how to handle them.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
PaulsPain

My Support Groups:
Fissures = Hell. My starting symptoms of Crohn's started with chronic fissures. When a fissure gets deep enough, to the muscle, it will make the internal sphincter muscle spasm. This sets off a vicious cycle since the spasm reduced blood flow to the area not allowing it to heal. I compared the pain to having a charlie horse in the arse that lasted 8-12 hours for me. Once the fissure is chronic(after 6 weeks) most of the time some medical intervention is required to help relax the sphincter muscle. They use meds - nitro paste, nefidiine, etc. or surgery - Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS). After 5 years of suffering I finally had a LIS. This is what set off the events for me being diagnosed with Crohn's.

Current Meds: Azathioprine 25mg every other day.
Remicade - Dose every 8 weeks.

Surgeries: Lateral internal sphincterotomy, skin tag removal, 2 fissurotomy, and fistulatomy - Jan 2010, Abscess drained and draining seton for fistula - Sept 2010
02-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Slim Johnson

Jeez Paul, that sounds horrible! I never thought that fissures could be so horrible.. Then again, some people don't think CD is a big deal.....
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Gabismommy

Wow that is terrible!! :/

I had a check up on the seton today. Looks good he says. Says he may take me back in to surgery to turn it later since my fistula is really complex and wrapped around the spinkter muscle. Also said he sees signs of cervical cancer..
02-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Gabismommy

He did change me to Cipro and Flagyl, maybe they can kick this thing's butt.
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am so sorry to hear that he saw signs of cancer. Is it certain? As if Chrons doesn't suck enough on its own.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Gabismommy

He said see a gynecologist before the end of the year. I have had diaplaysia symptoms before but they left it because I was pregnant at the time.