Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #121
Snoflayk505

I'm going to get some information from the Chinese Medicine College where I go on the fish thing. Will update soon, I am getting a refill on herbs soon.
Ostomy placed, Rectum removed 2010 etc etc etc..

MED FREE! Working with GI on the SCD Diet to manage my Crohn's =D
I'm VERY new to the diet. Seems certain foods cause my symptoms. Testing that theory!

My recipe blog
www.foreverscd.blogspot.com

SCD site (food list, beginners guide)
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm
08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #122
Txgirl

Thinking about doing this but I'm not much of a cook!! Not much for veggies either other than green beans, sweet peas and corn ......I know I'm in trouble lol but do like a lot of fruits.

Please tell me what y'all eat? What do your meals and snacks consist of? Thanks
08-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #123
Tantija

Hi! I am the diet from December 2011 and I am doing very well. My blood test is absolutely normal. I had MRI on 03.08 but will know results only on my next visit to doctor on 24.09.
I was a chocoholic. But not any more. I eat meat, fish, eggs, butter, salads, fruits, nuts and honey. I make yogurt from almond milk (what I make myself also), I bake bread from grounded nuts, I cook the “jam” from berries with honey. I do not like cooked vegetables so I eat only salad, tomatoes and cucumbers. I am not a fan of difficult cooking, I prefer the simple taste of meat and fish: roasted chicken or meat, pan fried fish. It might sound boring but comparing with the fact I do not use any medication and feel better I am sure this worth it. I have to admit that I do not think about the food as a treat anymore just food to eat. What maybe sad
I had cravings for bread for a long time but not anymore. I did not cheat on the diet even once for the last 9 month. I definitely feel better. I heard the noises all the time when food was passing through the intestine but not anymore. I had a painful spot I assume where small intestine connects the large and where i had the operation. The place was hard and painful but not anymore. I do still have diarrhoea time to time but to be honest could not understand what it causes.

So all the best. When you are ready. You have to be ready to refuse all the food you like and what it makes you feel good: chocolate, cakes, crisps, flakes, bread, pastries and ect. I did not want to use very strong medication so I have chosen the diet but it is up to you 
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #124
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Tantija, I seriously cannot believe what you manage to digest!!! seriously, you make your diet look like a christmas binge for some of us, lol. But if its working for you then great. I swear i'm going to do the potatoes and salmon diet and let go of my liquid feed. I just don't get rid of the crohns and all its implications on other aspects of my health. I am a crohns wreck!
08-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #125
Tantija

Hi, Spooky1!
But potatoes are full of starch waht is polysaccharide and it's dificult to digest.
Maybe my stage was not so bad comparing with some of you.
08-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #126
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know, but i have to nibble on something, can't manage too much else really. Great name, can i ask where you're from?
08-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #127
Tantija

Hi, I have for snacks walnuts, dates, honey. If I do not feel well enought to eat nuts I just eat 2 spoons of honey to remove the feeling of hunger.
My name is Татьяна (Tatjana in Lithuanian spelling). I am Russian from Lithuania. And my nick name is a name of the Indian woman ringleader from 15th century.
09-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #128
bettyboop12

My Support Groups:
Does anyone have any suggestions on a typical meal I could I have that I don't have to make before hand? For example, just getting home after a long busy day and just want to make a quick meal.

I understand that preparing meals day before is a good idea and I will do that but what food is the equivalent of popping something in the oven on this diet?
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #129
KatyBuckeye

Does anyone have any suggestions on a typical meal I could I have that I don't have to make before hand? For example, just getting home after a long busy day and just want to make a quick meal.

I understand that preparing meals day before is a good idea and I will do that but what food is the equivalent of popping something in the oven on this diet?
I was trying to think of something that would constitute a meal, but to be honest, I can't really think of anything. Pretty much everything requires some sort of preparation. Even when you get to the stage where you can eat raw vegetables and salads, you still have to throw it together. Some things certainly take less time than others though. Eggs and ground meat/patties don't take that long to cook. The best way to go is to prepare food ahead of time on the weekend. I make large pots of chicken broth and bone broth and freeze it in smaller portions. I always keep some ground meat in the fridge, which only takes a few minutes to cook.

I'm also very busy during the work week. What I sometimes do is come home and have a snack to fulfill me until I can relax a bit and then cook a larger meal. Snacks are easier on this diet (depending on what stage you are in). I'm well past the intro, so I can eat almonds, banana/coconut "ice cream" (my new favorite- just freeze some sliced bananas, add a little legal coconut milk into the blender, and blend), a piece of fruit, sardines, homemade sauerkraut, etc. It gets easy once you get into a routine. I spend a good amount of time on the weekends prepping for the week. Good luck.

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
09-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #130
hugh

My Support Groups:
Does anyone have any suggestions on a typical meal I could I have that I don't have to make before hand?
Unfortunately real food is usually slow food.

Try a google search, there are a few ideas out there.
A slow cooker is handy, you put the meal on when you leave in the morning and it's waitng for you in the evening.
For me the best thing is making alot when i do cook and freezing in portions.
Mince or sausage meat is handy, or tinned fish

Meatza - mince spread out flat, cooked for 10 min
top with tomato paste, herbs, pinaple, olives and cheese and grill

Chicken scnitzel (paleo but not SCD) -
pound chicken thigh flat - easier if you leave it in a plastic bag,
add arrowroot, garam masal and salt to bag, shake in bag,
roast in coconut oil.
09-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #131
Tantija

Hi.

It is much easier for me as for the last 15 years I trained myself not to eat in the evening. It was difficult for me to digest food before going to bed, not enough time I guess, so I could end up with the pain and cramps in the middle of the night. All I eat in the evening are 2 slices of the nut bread with butter and cucumber on the top and tea with lemon and honey. I also could eat pear before that (love pears ). So my main meals are actually breakfast and lunch. For breakfast I have 2 scrambled eggs, 4 table spoons of nut yogurt with 2 spoons of my “jam” and teaspoon of honey, 2 slice of nut bread with butter and cucumber and tea with lemon and honey. I eat the same breakfast every morning for the last 9 month. Tried to cook pancakes with almond flour and ripe banana but it was so sweet and also takes more time for preparation. I used to cook oatmeal porridge every morning, really miss it.  Also do not feel well eating banana.
For lunch I usually take salad and leg of chicken roasted in the oven or veal shoulder also roasted in the oven (piece of 700gr gives me lunch for 3 days) or fish. Fish is very quick to cook, it takes just 15 minutes to pan fry fish.
I always eat fruits for snack in between breakfast and lunch and then I have snack at about 15:30 nuts with honey or dates and then evening “sandwich” at home. Yes, it’s sound boring but look what I gain! 
09-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #132
Tantija

I'm also very busy during the work week. What I sometimes do is come home and have a snack to fulfill me until I can relax a bit and then cook a larger meal. Snacks are easier on this diet (depending on what stage you are in). I'm well past the intro, so I can eat almonds, banana/coconut "ice cream" (my new favorite- just freeze some sliced bananas, add a little legal coconut milk into the blender, and blend), a piece of fruit, sardines, homemade sauerkraut, etc. It gets easy once you get into a routine. I spend a good amount of time on the weekends prepping for the week. Good luck.
Love the idea of “ice cream” of fruit with coconut milk but I thought that all coconut milk from cans and packs is illegal, do you make your own coconut milk, please?
09-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #133
bettyboop12

My Support Groups:
Hi

Thank you for your responses and ideas. Seems a little less harder now.

Organisation is the key here I think in planning what meals I am going to have during the week and make sure I have a few nibbles at the ready, less likely to head for the illegal foods then.

Looking forward to trying this diet and starving off the bacteria. My aim is to come off all my medication completely.
09-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #134
KatyBuckeye

Love the idea of “ice cream” of fruit with coconut milk but I thought that all coconut milk from cans and packs is illegal, do you make your own coconut milk, please?
I have made my own coconut milk, but it gets pricey and is very time intensive for the amount that you're able to get out of a few coconuts (not very much). I found an SCD-legal brand that is just coconut milk and water. No guar gum/other gums used or any other additives or preservatives. I see you are located in the UK and I don't know if you have Trader Joe's there, but I'm guessing probably not. That is where I buy this canned coconut milk. It is a canned Trader Joe's brand. I have not been able to find any other brand that does not have preservatives. The carton coconut milk always has carrageenan, which should never be used by those with IBD. If you don't have access to a Trader Joes's, you can buy "Natural Value" coconut milk on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-.../dp/B000LKVIEG.
09-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #135
Tantija

Thank you very much!!! I will try for a change.
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #136
karj

My Support Groups:
I found this link with a lot of recipes - maybe someone posted already but just in case! I want to try this diet too. I have been experiencing a bad flare on a lot of meds at the moment. I have been keeping a food diary for almost a week now religiously. I was told to eat oatmeal for breakfast but i saw on the diet that all grains are on the illegal list and i have been experiencing very bad wind in the back left which I put down to pentasa suppositories but you know it could be the porridge too!!! Anyway here is the link, loads of stuff there I think to give us ideas. And guess what we can have pancakes for breakfast
http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #137
Tantija

I will try to make the coconut milk from the grounded coconut. I buy all grounded nuts here http://www.naturalchoice.co.uk/acatalog/Coconut.html so next time will buy 1 kg of coconut just to try. Unfrtunately I will not be eating it so it will be a waste.. I make almond milk from grounded almonds and then use them for bread after sieving so no waste at all
09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #138
Candrbeth

Good morning everyone! I will apologize now if this has been asked. My husband and I just started the SCD yesterday. We both started getting pounding headaches. Mine has spilled over into today, whereas he is feeling better. Is this typical? I'm on the verge of punching something LOL.
09-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #139
Tantija

No, never had headaches. But it might be the reaction when you cut off all the carbohydrates. It is a shock for the body. I lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning.
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #140
Candrbeth

Thanks Tantija! I'm hoping the headache doesn't last too long.
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #141
David
Co-Founder

Did you by chance quit soda or coffee or anything with caffeine?
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #142
Candrbeth

Did you by chance quit soda or coffee or anything with caffeine?
I myself had cut caffeine out of my diet last year. I had these same type of headaches for about 3 days back then.
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #143
Mattannika

I have just completed 30 days on the SCD combined with low FODMAPS and am a new member to the forum. I am not on maintenance meds, (due to sulfa allergy) for my Crohn's and more recently developed SIBO flareups twice in the past year. SCD/LFM has made me feel so much better, even in the first few days, and diminished my SIBO in a radical way. When my SIBO is in full bloom, I crave sugars like CRAZY!!!! And I really appreciated the posts here in regard to the fortitude it takes to stick with the SCD in the first weeks. I was so hungry it was ridiculous. I just received my Yogourmet which was something akin to the excitement of picking out a puppy! Trader Joe's Frozen French Cut String Beans, and Dole Pineapple cups in their own juice, or a banana, are now my Go-To for a snack, and I am making legal pesto to throw on just about everything. I love slivered almonds and almond butter, but they tend to become concrete in my digestive system, as did chocolate, and I suppose that means they aggravate my "vowels," so I have to watch the nuts...Bummer! I am feeling pretty good and take some Prune juice each morning to keep regular. Does that sound crazy or what?? Anyone, hmmmm, struggle, with constipation with Crohn's or SIBO? I'm also new to forums...probably obvious!
I see this was posted quite a while ago. I just got diagnosed not even a month ago. After being on a liquid diet for about 2 weeks, I have started to slowly get back to "normal" food and started slowly eating according to the SCD. I have to say, my problem has been C. rather than D., and so it has been difficult to eat some of the things that you are supposed to start with. I assume that is because the SCD assumes you have D., so they have you eat carrots, bananas etc, which help if you have D. And I am sure the almond flour doesn't help. Not getting much fiber seems to be the problem. Drinking prune juice, does that really help? I haven't been able to find any yet, must be looking in the wrong spot. So far I stick to soups, protein (chicken and fish), eggs, yogurt and SCD cheescake. I am not sure what fruit to start with, but I do miss it tremendouly. Any comments or suggestions what are "safe" fruits/veggies that help stay regular?
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #144
KatyBuckeye

Good morning everyone! I will apologize now if this has been asked. My husband and I just started the SCD yesterday. We both started getting pounding headaches. Mine has spilled over into today, whereas he is feeling better. Is this typical? I'm on the verge of punching something LOL.
It could easily be from the grains. There is a definite withdrawal that occurs when you stop eating grains. Gluten actually crosses the blood-brain barrier and binds to opiate receptors...so it is very similar to being addicted to a drug. Give it a week or so to detox. You will start feeling better eventually!
09-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #145
Tantija

I see this was posted quite a while ago. I just got diagnosed not even a month ago. After being on a liquid diet for about 2 weeks, I have started to slowly get back to "normal" food and started slowly eating according to the SCD. I have to say, my problem has been C. rather than D., and so it has been difficult to eat some of the things that you are supposed to start with. I assume that is because the SCD assumes you have D., so they have you eat carrots, bananas etc, which help if you have D. And I am sure the almond flour doesn't help. Not getting much fiber seems to be the problem. Drinking prune juice, does that really help? I haven't been able to find any yet, must be looking in the wrong spot. So far I stick to soups, protein (chicken and fish), eggs, yogurt and SCD cheescake. I am not sure what fruit to start with, but I do miss it tremendouly. Any comments or suggestions what are "safe" fruits/veggies that help stay regular?
I have D. so most of the fruits and veg are not helping me especially mango, grapes, peaches, berries. Maybe it could help you? and row carrots by the way
09-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #146
Tantija

I have just completed 30 days on the SCD combined with low FODMAPS and am a new member to the forum. I am not on maintenance meds, (due to sulfa allergy) for my Crohn's and more recently developed SIBO flareups twice in the past year. SCD/LFM has made me feel so much better, even in the first few days, and diminished my SIBO in a radical way. When my SIBO is in full bloom, I crave sugars like CRAZY!!!! And I really appreciated the posts here in regard to the fortitude it takes to stick with the SCD in the first weeks. I was so hungry it was ridiculous. I just received my Yogourmet which was something akin to the excitement of picking out a puppy! Trader Joe's Frozen French Cut String Beans, and Dole Pineapple cups in their own juice, or a banana, are now my Go-To for a snack, and I am making legal pesto to throw on just about everything. I love slivered almonds and almond butter, but they tend to become concrete in my digestive system, as did chocolate, and I suppose that means they aggravate my "vowels," so I have to watch the nuts...Bummer! I am feeling pretty good and take some Prune juice each morning to keep regular. Does that sound crazy or what?? Anyone, hmmmm, struggle, with constipation with Crohn's or SIBO? I'm also new to forums...probably obvious!
Hi! Never heard about FODMAP. It does explain why I do not feel well eating onions, asparagus, and mushrooms.
So you do not eat fruits at all?! And you do not use any sweetener, not even honey?!
09-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #147
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Hi Tantija, and welcome! I can eat most of the LFM allowed fruits (not grapes), but only a small "handful" at a time, approx. 1/3 cup, as a snack in between meals. I do not use any sweeteners at all, due to how bacteria loves sugar, except for LFM allowed pure maple syrup, which does not give me any symptoms. The goal is to have sugar/carbs that digest mainly in the stomach vs. the small intestine, where they can ferment and cause trouble.
Here is a link that is helpful:
http://uvahealth.com/services/digest...ODMAP_diet.pdf
And another great link with terrific, easy LFM recipes (author is a registered dietician):
http://blog.katescarlata.com/fodmaps/

You are lucky, there is so much research on this at King's College, UK! And many dieticians well-versed in it as well.(as well as Melbourne, Australia).

Keep in mind it is an elimination diet that grows into more food choices over time, as you determine what you can have, and how much at one sitting, or per day. It's about personal tolerance of certain items, which can also change from time to time. I think Crohnnies need flexibility and to listen to their bodies for individual tolerances vs. one-size-fits-all. It takes patience and time, but it's really worth it! Good luck with whatever you decide.

IBS since my 20's; Crohns 2001 @ 41
Major Flare, ileo-cecal resection 2001
Diag. SIBO 2011; 3 SIBO flareups
Past Meds: Prednisone & Pentasa-allergic (2001),
Entocort (2009), Xifaxan-30 days (2011,12,13)
Current Meds: HRT mitigates my symptoms+
Low FODMAPs Diet, SCD yogurt & broth
Supp: Multivit.; Calcium w/ D/Mag.; B-12 sub-lingual; Nordic Nat'ls Ultimate Omega; Blood Builder Vegan Iron
Vitamin D-50,000IU 8 wks.,now 2,000IU
09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #148
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Oh, and forgot to mention, that since honey is a fructose-load, it's makes me blow up like a balloon, haha. A big no-no for SIBO patients. SCD is a great foodplan but it does not account for fructose-intolerance and all the recent solid research on that. So, I take the best from SCD, like the broth and the yogurt and some other good tidbits, and incorporate the LFM which is absolutely necessary for SIBO patients.
09-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #149
Tantija

Thanks! Believe me all I was suggested is to start using immunosuppressants nobody suggested me try any diet. I found SCD diet myself online.
09-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #150
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Tantija, I just had a chance to review your previous posts and noticed that we are eating very similarly with the exception of the honey. "Hi! I am the diet from December 2011 and I am doing very well. My blood test is absolutely normal. I had MRI on 03.08 but will know results only on my next visit to doctor on 24.09."

I wanted to mention that now that you feel so great, as do I most of the time, it may be that your isolated D is influenced/caused by your hormone shifts, which is very common--and has solid science behind it--among women. In my case, it is the main initiator/driver of my Crohn's, (like a clock!) and any other inflammation such as my arthritis and dry eye issues. You will find more on this in the women's forum...

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support