Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

05-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #241
$erendipitou$

I think ALL the mums out there deserve MAX respect for trying to help their kids back to great overall health!

My mum has always been there for me and she rox !
05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #242
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It feels like a great amount of cooking at first (and it is!), but it lessens with time. Not only do your options open up, but you get more accustomed to a new way of eating. As you adjust, you stop trying to create substitutions for your old food loves. You change with time and those things you thought you couldn't live without are simply not a big deal anymore.
Enteral Nutrition
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #243
Amy2

My Support Groups:
I'm not even cooking much. So far the diet seems easy, but we've been homebodies, which makes it easier.

Yesterday son ate:

B: 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, toast and half a cantaloupe.
L: Cream of mushroom soup, steamed spinach, slice of cheese bread.
D: Zucchini pasta with marinara, 2 poached eggs, fresh squeezed OJ, lots of watermelon.
Dessert: Yogurt with honey and pineapple.

100% SCD and 100% organic. I've been a long time proponent or organic food, though, so my son got sick eating organic food.

He used to eat this way:

90% organic:

B: Cereal, juice, tempeh bacon.
L: Pb&j, fruit, cookies or chips.
D: Tofu/beans and rice (often brown rice) or white pasta and Amy's marinara sauce with parmesan, veggie burgers, Tofurky sandwiches, vegetarian chili, pizza, homemade lentil soup and vegan lasagna. I usually made a big green salad every night, which he'd usually take a pass on. He used to eat a lot of whole wheat, now he eats none. He LOVED vegetarian sushi (nori, white rice, avocado, vegan seafood and cucs...) and I would love to find an a reasonable facsimile for him!
06-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #244
Amy2

My Support Groups:
My son asked for "something warm" so I made him SCD Tomato Soup. Took literally 2 minutes to make and he said it was better than Campbell's.
06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #245
Job

Hi all, I've been on the SCD for 2 1/2 yrs now, so I'll give you my journeyman's opinions.

I've been on all the meds, from Pentasa to Entocort to Remicade. They all did fairly well in controlling the symptoms, but could not stop the damage. I've had 3 surgeries, which prompted desperation to try sumthing different. Homeopathy & Naturopathy failed miserably. I stumbled across the SCD searching online, & thot I'd give it a try (that nothin 2 lose stance).

Against the urging, I did not start out with the intro diet, or even strictly adhering to the legal/illegal list. I still had sandwiches w bun, an occasional ice cream or bowl of cereal, but I stayed away from most of the bad stuff, like fries, bread, sugary drinks, etc. I noticed a difference in about a week. Since I was feeling much better, I put it 2 the test by decreasing my sulfa pills, which progessed to being off all meds within 3 months.

That lasted for about 1 1/2 yrs, which is amazing being drug-free (take that, idiot Drs!). But for nearly the past yr, my symptoms have been slowly returning. & now, I need 2 add sum other treatment.

So.....my personal conclusion: SCD is not the cure, but it does provide a significant benefit.
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #246
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Daughter diagnosed at 24. Went on SCD after achieving remission with Prednisone. She has been symptom free ever since. She's 32. She sticks mostly to the diet, but "cheats" a lot, too. Often eats whatever she wants on the menu. If she does it too much, she begins to feel mild symptoms. She works in a hospital and has an aversion to them and drs, so she's not being monitored or tested, but she feels normal.

Son diagnosed at 16. Went into remission after doing EEN for 6 weeks. Started SCD April 6, but unfortunately he hasn't been as lucky as my daughter. He has had a couple of stomach aches, trouble with certain foods...etc., but we're hanging in there.

I really don't want him to have to take strong drugs, if they can be avoided. He is a fragile person, at a fragile age, but we won't be sticking our heads in the sand. He just had his fecal calprotectin test done. Best part about it was, he didn't even need to see a doctor!
06-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #247
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi all, I've been on the SCD for 2 1/2 yrs now, so I'll give you my journeyman's opinions.

I've been on all the meds, from Pentasa to Entocort to Remicade. They all did fairly well in controlling the symptoms, but could not stop the damage. I've had 3 surgeries, which prompted desperation to try sumthing different. Homeopathy & Naturopathy failed miserably. I stumbled across the SCD searching online, & thot I'd give it a try (that nothin 2 lose stance).

Against the urging, I did not start out with the intro diet, or even strictly adhering to the legal/illegal list. I still had sandwiches w bun, an occasional ice cream or bowl of cereal, but I stayed away from most of the bad stuff, like fries, bread, sugary drinks, etc. I noticed a difference in about a week. Since I was feeling much better, I put it 2 the test by decreasing my sulfa pills, which progessed to being off all meds within 3 months.

That lasted for about 1 1/2 yrs, which is amazing being drug-free (take that, idiot Drs!). But for nearly the past yr, my symptoms have been slowly returning. & now, I need 2 add sum other treatment.

So.....my personal conclusion: SCD is not the cure, but it does provide a significant benefit.
Thank you for sharing your story. I don't think it is fair for anyone to conclude that SCD is not an answer when they didn't strictly stick to the diet. You can't throw a little SCD in the mix (and still eat normal here and there) and then conclude that it isn't an answer. While I understand the difficulty in sticking to such a strict diet, the diet is meant to be strict so unless you remain on the diet 100%, you can't conclude anything about it. While your personal experience is appreciated, it isn't valid experience because, as I understand in reading your post, you were never committed to the diet.
Where is Hugh when we need him? I rely on him to say the hard, but obvious, things!
06-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #248
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

Son diagnosed at 16. Went into remission after doing EEN for 6 weeks. Started SCD April 6, but unfortunately he hasn't been as lucky as my daughter. He has had a couple of stomach aches, trouble with certain foods...etc., but we're hanging in there.
Amy, I can't remember how long your son has been on the diet? I am sure that at some point I have shared E's experiences with you. We had to alter the diet and keep it low reside at first but as he healed we were able to add in foods. E still doesn't consume any dairy, legumes (even peanuts -we use almond butter), or beef. I guess we accidentally followed more of a GAPS/paleo diet. For us, we had to realize that D was the symptom of E's insides being messed up. In order to keep him off the toilet, we refrained from many fruits and veggies at first but were able to slowly introduce them as he healed. We tried dairy at first and E really began to make great improvements when we completely removed it. We use an SCD safe acidophilus instead of yogurt.
06-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #249
hugh

My Support Groups:
Where is Hugh when we need him? I rely on him to say the hard, but obvious, things!
sorry, i'm keeping quiet or i'll explode
SCD with buns and ice cream?
06-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #250
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
sorry, i'm keeping quiet or i'll explode
SCD with buns and ice cream?
Hugh quiet? Is this a first?

I'm just kidding!

Last edited by Charleigh; 06-19-2013 at 04:26 AM.
06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #251
Job

Well, 2 keep Hugh from exploding, here's been my diet for the last 2+ yrs:

baked chicken
grilled pork chops (gotta admit, w BBQ sauce)
grilled hamburger (no bun, but w ketchup)
green beans & peas (frozen) w cheddar
broccoli & carrots (fresh) w colbyjack
mashed cauliflower w butter & parmesan
bananas, apples, strawberries, pineapple, raisins, dried apricots
hardboiled eggs, peanuts, almonds, sunflower kernels
orange juice (diluted to 60%) & tea w honey

95%+ of the time. I eat these in small meals thruout the day. I hardly ever eat out, & if so, i will eat a sandwich w a bun. My sinful indulgence is a bowl of cereal, maybe once a week. I've noticed rice crispies r the ezest on my tummy. If we have treats @ work, i might nibble on a cookie all day, a donut or a small slice of cake. I'm human!

Doin this 95% worked for about 1 1/2 yrs, with very mild symptoms if any. All crohns sufferers r in diff stages, & as we have read, sum say its a miracle, others dont. Mayb it works 4 those w mild crohns & not for mod-severe sufferers? Mayb I'll bite the bullet & go 100%, just 2 say i did? But how long 2 determine it works or not.....4 me?
06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #252
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Following the SCD 95% may be helpful to you, but falling short of 100% means that you are not on the SCD.

You have to make your own legal ketchup and BBQ sauce...and no cereal.
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #253
hugh

My Support Groups:
I was just kidding, i'm not going to explode,
I long ago worked out that what other people eat doesn't affect my digestion.

Glad you got some benefit from doing some of the diet, but you might be surprised at the effect of tiny amounts of grain [1]

Really, try the SCD diet and then let people know, but if you have never tried it then you can't really tell people that it doesn't work.

By the way, I'm human too, and i didn't eat any cereal or grain for almost two years with no drama at all. (paleo not SCD)
Now i have modified my diet to include white rice as it is not toxic like wheat and corn

[1]Coeliacs can show symptoms from as little as 1/233,333th of a slice of bread per day, and intestinal damage from as little as 1/8,750th of a slice of bread per day
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Pr...ke-Me-Sick.htm

Last edited by hugh; 06-25-2013 at 06:47 PM.
06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #254
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was just waiting for Hugh to post so I could say....what he said

I do agree completely that you should try it 100% before you judge. I can't be 98% paleo or I still have symptoms. I have to be 100% and you might be the same way.
08-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #255
Tantija

Hi, thank you very much for that. I have completed survey. I am big fan of the diet and believe that positive is much more important than the negative side. It is just inconvenient.
SCD Diet since December 2011
B12 one injection in 3 month
Vitamin D, Zinc
Medication free
08-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #256
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
In fact the SCD diet helped me a great deal but not until I started to do it 100%. Then I started to get benefits. After that I still was not right and I had already had advice from Charleigh to consider stopping dairy. I was very reluctant to give more up.

Fast forward a bit to finding a naturopath here in France who - amongst other beneficial things like colonic irrigation and cognitive behaviour therapy - put me on the Seignalet diet.

This is not in the English language but is an ancestral diet which excludes dairy and cereals (unmodified rice is allowed though and quinoa etc) excludes also all processed or adulterated foods and prefers uncooked or lightly cooked proteins. I am nearly 100 % bio now. I eat lots of fruit, nuts, seeds, soya yoghurt, spiruline for breakfast, momma's chicken broth for lunch and light meats and veg in the evening. Banana cake and chicory at coffee time.

In addition to taking on board the Seignalet protocol I have continued to eliminate the bad starches (potatoes etc) which Is a more recent approach. A good local bio shop is helpful.

After 7 weeks I feel much better and despite ongoing minor problems I think in a matter of time I will cleanse my system completely. Having already eliminated Humira, I have reduced Prednisone from 20/25 mg p d to 5 mg p.d., eliminated Amitrityline, eliminated painkillers ( my arthritis is unbelievably better though the summer helps), avoided taking any of my 5 or 6 occasional medications.

After the colonic irrigation cycle the diarrhea was completely eliminated. It is now back a bit and I will soon have another round as it takes a few to cleans completely, since I did not stop the dairy until later on. My head was clear and is now slightly less so, but ditto. The next round will help to clear remaining toxins.

The usual years of disappointment had left me feeling like a prisoner waiting for the torturer to come around again and inwardly I had lost some hope. Now I believe firmly that I am on the right path and that I will regain a more normal existence. Still plenty of work to do but at last I have a clear path.

Having somebody (naturopath) actually listen to all your symptoms and history and fears etc and address this all holistically in partnership with you has been major for me as I was losing effective dialogue with the medical community.

Being diagnosed with Crohns (perhaps wrongly) I have 100% medical cover here. Humira at €25k per year was all free, but it was making me worse. I pay the naturopathy treatments myself and the cost is not small but it is giving me back my life.

If anybody is interested in hearing more just ask. Maybe I am a bit " born again" in my head but that's no bad thing.

My life lacked a spiritual dimension as I am not a traditional monotheist of any kind but 'The Power of Now' had already helped me and is much in tune with behavioural therapy.
09-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #257
GypsyRay

My Support Groups:
Hello all

I'm really finding strength in reading this SCD diet thread!

My big question for you SCDers is... have you found that SCD can reduce a stricture?

I've Crohn's and I've been diagnosed for 15 years. I've played around with different diets through the years.

I'm lucky in that I've had no surgeries and haven't had to take any drugs stronger than flagyl, mercaptopurine and very occasional mild steroid usage.

I was even medication free for two years which I attribute to following the "four-hour body diet" rigorously for a year. After I left the 4HB diet I had a healthier concept of what to eat and cooked for myself more, yet I started cheating bad and symptoms returned.

After a colonoscopy and an MRI my GI says I've a stricture in my small intestine and wants me to return to mercaptopurine and also Remicade at the same time!

I accepted the mercaptopurine prescription (as I've taken it before) but refused the Remicade (I'm too scared of the side effects).

I'm committed to making myself healthy again through diet and after Google researching testimonials I've chosen SCD as my new diet.

I started it a few weeks ago but I didn't do the intro diet and had a flare up. Re-started the diet 5 days ago and have spent all 5 on the intro diet and feel great!

Has anyone else had experience specifically with Crohn's strictures and SCD?
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #258
jamieariss

I tried this diet 100% free for 12 weeks. I stopped as it wasn't giving me the benefits for the effort you have to put in (full time chef).
This diet unfortunately contributed to weight loss (already skinny).
However i do eat a gluten free diet as this helps me and it's easy to follow. But everyone is unique.
12-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #259
sacandalaw

Hi all, recently joined the forum and I am hoping I found the right thread for this...
I was DX'ed with Crohn's about a year and a half ago. I have been on the SCD with basically 100% adherence since. (I am not on any meds) I was doing OK, and had no major complaints. Dr. proclaimed about 3-4 months ago that I had no inflammation, though still had strictures. Anyway, for the past couple of weeks, things are pretty crazy. I am making innumerable bathroom trips, can't really hold down any food. Taking too many painkillers etc. The past couple of days I mostly stuck with chicken soup and apple sauce and have seen some improvement. Any tips from the experts would be welcome!
As a side note, I thankfully lead a full life which can be quite stressful at times, currently my stress level is quite high, hoping that is the only cause of all this stomach ache.
Thanks guys
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #260
GypsyRay

My Support Groups:
OK, SCD update. I've done SCD now for 4 months with 100% adherence.

I feel great!

I can tell that my strictures are minimizing because my poops are so much more round and no longer pencil thin.

I was worried about making it through Thanksgiving because I love pie! And my Southern mom doesn't exactly cook healthy. But I ate Turkey and she made fresh and well cooked veggies for me. I was fine and feel great for not being a glutton.

Larabars have been a godsend! So, has tea with honey. I love making my own yogurt and it's so easy now that I know how to do it.

I can't imagine myself not being SCD now that I feel this great. I used to wake up with constant pain in my side. Now that's gone and I'm so much happier. I think I've Remicade for little linger and that makes me happy too.

I see my gastro next week (she's the type who says diet doesn't matter) and I'm looking forward to teling her about my progress.
12-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #261
Tantija

Hi, great results! My gastro did not believe in diet also but last time I have seen him ( after 1.5 years of diet) he said: " I have reviewed my view on the diet. I think our current medicine is very conservative and if it helps in any way we have to try it on other patience."
12-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #262
Tantija

I tried this diet 100% free for 12 weeks. I stopped as it wasn't giving me the benefits for the effort you have to put in (full time chef).
This diet unfortunately contributed to weight loss (already skinny).
However i do eat a gluten free diet as this helps me and it's easy to follow. But everyone is unique.
Hi, yes, unfortunately diet does not help everyone. I can imagine how frustrated people are after all the effort. I have lost weight in the first month only, I guess it is very big shock for the body but now ( I follow the diet already 2 years) I have to watch myself as put on weight easily.
12-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #263
wildbill_52280

i follow a modified version of SCD diet for 4.5 years and it has reduced diarhea symptoms to where i have one formed stool per day without any medications. only occasionally will i have mucus and almost never see blood, and its usually because i strayed slightly from the diet.

the key for me i have found is reducing lactose and sucrose as much as possible. i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard and i eat grains like wheat and oats and beans, but no corn and only brown rice on occasion. i have to reduce my intake of fruit to almost nothing. i never eat any meat either, bad bacteria seem to like that stuff too. i dont make anything out of nut flours.

although it has helped alot to reduce symptoms like diarhea, its not the best way to treat this disease of course, but for someone who needs all the help they an get, this is something that will help them.
12-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #264
SarahD

the key for me i have found is reducing lactose and sucrose as much as possible. i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard and i eat grains like wheat and oats and beans, but no corn and only brown rice on occasion. i have to reduce my intake of fruit to almost nothing. i never eat any meat either, bad bacteria seem to like that stuff too. i dont make anything out of nut flours.
Out of interest wildbill, what sort of foods do you eat?

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
12-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #265
wildbill_52280

Out of interest wildbill, what sort of foods do you eat?

cheese, wheat(only gold medal whole wheat) amde into wheat wraps/tortilla like shape. refried or cooked pinto beans, green olives, an entire bag of cooked broccoli and cauliflower, instant oats, canola oil and corn oil as sources of fat. walnuts and no other nuts. some potatoes.
on occasion 1-2 x per week, small quantities of onions, raspberries, cranberries, green, red peppers.

every great once and a while ill add something totally different like 1 day a month or something. its pretty strict but it helps me.
12-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #266
HARVinTX

Hey GypsyRay,

Not sure why a GI would say diet doesn't matter with a digestive disease. I am happy to hear you have been able to avoid a resection and the heavy drugs over 15 years. I would like to note though that assuming formed stool = shrinkage in a stricture is not correct. The primary function of the large intestine is water absorption so formed larger stool is an indication that stool is remaining longer in the large intestine and the water being absorbed. That may be diet related but not stricture related, even if it is reducing inflammatory stricturing (vs scarred stricturing). So the benefit is there!

I have not tried the SCD diet and had severe stricturing of my large intestine which about 7 inches had to be removed in 2002 (10 years post diagnosis). Even at my worst, I had occasional formed stools.

I also avoided the biologics after my resection and now about half of my ileum is severely strictured (had egg drop soup for dinner). I finally agreed to trying Cimzia after my 5th obstruction in less than 3 years. It failed with me having a 6th (and perhaps my worse) obstruction. Prednisone got me under control so some of the stricture is due to inflammation (our nemesis!). I started Remicade and it did a fair job for the last year but I had two reactions so had to stop. I start Humira tomorrow and hoping that will keep me off the operating table a bit longer. I am mentally preparing for surgery.

I hope you continue to do well!

Darin
12-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #267
Tantija

i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard...
Hi, I make yogurt 2-3 times a week and it takes 3 minutes. I heat the milk up to 85 C in the morning while I am in the shower and leave it to cool on the table. After work when milk is 20 C I sieve the milk, take 3 table spoons of the milk and add bacteria in, then I add this to the milk and put to the yogurt maker. All I do is to check temperature during 24 hours and adjust dimmer switch.
12-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #268
Tantija

Hi everyone, I have other dilemma. I have completed 2 years of the diet and do not know what to do next. I have realised that I am afraid to eat starch or sugar containing food. I have discovered quinoa seeds after i have started the diet so I never tried it. Last week I decided to try it. I soaked seeds for more than 12 hours, washed few times, changed water few times. Then cooked, washed again and did the iodine test, it was still black. So i ate 1 table spoon and discarded the rest.
I also had my MRI test last month and received the following letter from my doctor:"Scan shows that you have stable appearances of the inflammation in your small bowel. There is certainly no worsening of the situation." i am quite upset. I was expecting no inflammation at all especially that blood test does not show any inflammation for the last 2 years.
12-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #269
wildbill_52280

Hi, I make yogurt 2-3 times a week and it takes 3 minutes. I heat the milk up to 85 C in the morning while I am in the shower and leave it to cool on the table. After work when milk is 20 C I sieve the milk, take 3 table spoons of the milk and add bacteria in, then I add this to the milk and put to the yogurt maker. All I do is to check temperature during 24 hours and adjust dimmer switch.
i think you are skipping a step, you must pasteurize the milk before fermenting it, this is to make sure no pathogens will grow in your yogurt. thats why its easy for you to make it, because this is the most time consuming part. if it works for you, thats great. i have always had issues with my yogurt, i will never make it at home again, i will just buy store yogurt and let it ferment slowly in the fridge for 3 weeks past the expiration date to get rid of more lactose, i think that's the easiest way to get over fermented low lactose yogurt. it will continue to ferment in the fridge but very slowly.
12-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #270
Tantija

i think you are skipping a step, you must pasteurize the milk before fermenting it, this is to make sure no pathogens will grow in your yogurt. thats why its easy for you to make it, because this is the most time consuming part. if it works for you, thats great. i have always had issues with my yogurt, i will never make it at home again, i will just buy store yogurt and let it ferment slowly in the fridge for 3 weeks past the expiration date to get rid of more lactose, i think that's the easiest way to get over fermented low lactose yogurt. it will continue to ferment in the fridge but very slowly.
Hi, what do you call pasteurisation then? Pasteurisation is a process of heating food what I do. More of that it is already pasteurized when you buy it the store. I do not think that my yogurt is more dangerous than yours To be honest I really doubt that yougurt continue fermenting in the fridge, it is getting off in my opinion. But if it works for you it's fine.
P.S. Have checked Elaine's book. Page 155 Yogurt, there is no mentioning any pasteurisation, you heat the milk and then you cool it to 20-25C. This is it.

Last edited by Tantija; 12-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support