• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1700ml output in 14 hours!

Measured my colostomy output today and from 8 this morn to 10 this evening and it's 1700ml with still the overnight to go which will take it over the 2 litre mark! And this is with loperamide and low res diet do the consistency has been porridge like. I know im only just over 2 weeks post surgery but still seems a lot,any help or advice welcome cos im at my wits end. Thanks Ryan.

I sometimes have more on regular days (7 months post op). Just make sure you are drinking enough. In my case, fruit juices make me run. rice slows it down. sweet potato is also good. I don;t know about the low residue theory - never followed that

Don't know whether Colon is still inflamed after surgery and not absorbing water but it's Definatley behaving like the ileo I had in sept at the min!

Terriernut

I really think you need to consider going back in and getting pred to reduce your inflamation for one thing. Do you have a fever? What colour has your output been? Is there any mucus?

Do you weigh what you are putting in as well?

Nyx

My output was very watery for the first 3 weeks after I got my colostomy. Mind you, for the first 2 weeks I was on TPN, and then went to a liquid diet from there. Once I started eating 'normally' and regularly, my output became very firm and regular.

I always have heavy out take and do not take any meds to stop it. I do not measure docs never suggested that. I was hospitalized and tube fed for going down to 89lbs... and dehydration my second week post-op and got up to 95lbs and I am 97lbs now.... I can never put in what the drs suggest liquid wise it would take me 3 days to get in what they want in a day :( dehydration is what I worry about the most.
I do a lot of ensure and drinks like that for protein and such.... and the gatoraides they say are much better then the water the water comes right back out but the power drinks you keep the electralights in they told me.
I hope you are ok are you dizzy?? Also my pulse was through the roof when I dehydrated in the 140's

Thanks for the replies guys the output has been light to mid brown no mucus I've been having biggish breakfast fairly light lunch ands good evening meal very little snacks between meals and nothing to eat after 6pm.

Hi, first of all do not panic. I recently came out of hospital with a colostomy after semi-acute obstruction of the large bowel just above the rectum; I have Crohn's Disease. My colostomy output reached a whopping 7 litres in a 24 hour period at least twice. Other than that there were loads of 6l, 5l and 4l days. That was the reason they kept me in hospital for an additional 4 weeks. I had TPN like you for a fortnight and packed on a handy 15kg. It was only when I started having infliximab infusions that my output started to reduce. I don't measure it anymore but I imagine it tops 2l fairly regularly. As long as your electroytes are ok, Potassium and Magnesium especially and you are not losing weight then do not worry!