• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Daughter has crohns

daughter has crohns

hi im the mother of a crohns sufferer shes 22 and had bowel resection in oct after a lot of suffering and drug treatment so much better up until this week when acute anemia has started up again and after a lot of trying to get the right answers iv just been told she has to have iron injections is this normal or is it a sign of the crohns flaring up again ? any ideas ?
thanks.....

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there :welcome: I am so sorry your daughter is suffering, no young person should have to deal with this but the 20's are the highest incidence rate. Many people have to take iron or the injections. I would also suggest since she has had a resection to also have b12 injections, I have them once a month.

Also get her vitamin D checked, most people are low in it and young adults dont pay much attention to their vitamins. There is a parents subforum here too and many can help you in your country and with their children's experiences. Would also be great if you could get her to join us as there are alot of people her age here getting help that you dont want your friends to know about or support.

We are here to answer any of your questions, there is alot of help here. Glad you found us. Hugs to you and your daughter!

thanks

thanks so much for the reply i have tried to get her to join a forum of some kind but she wont! to busy being 22! she has had her ilium removed so i thought that it would be standard to have the b12 injections but no one has offered it up to now but will definitely look in to it. she has been offered iron injections this week but i thought that after having the surgery 4months ago she would be symptom free for a while at least. anemia has always been her biggest problem and has really not stopped for the last 2years.
i think i will find this quite helpful for advice thanks again...

Hi this is a normal thing with crohns iron injection takes 4 hours and its totally pain free.. most of the time after a resection the body dosent quite get all its iron also iron levels can become low due to internal bleeding or due to surgery but again this is very normal with crohns.

It is possible for you to have an iron infusion and then make slight changes to the diet to avoid further fusions injections... beef is very good say a sunday lunch with beef... beef fried rice... or beef sandwich dosent have to be beef turkey chicken oysters also have very high levels of iron

You can also get a corse of iron tablets but they can cause lots of stomach pain so the injection is much more easy

its good they are testing for it though and are acting on it

thanks

thanks dan for you response i will pass all this on to her and hopefully it will help, shes due to have an iron injection next week did think it was just an injection but if its an infusion will take longer either way i hope it helps.
thanks again...

there is not much difference to be honest both are better than tablets.. injection is usually weekly for a a few weeks infusion is a big hit at once that can last several months it may just be only one injection needed if iron levels are not to bad but most crohns sufferers i think would usually need a fair top up... blood tests will tell

Angrybird

Hi coopkins, just wanted to say welcome to the forum :) It sucks that your daughter has had to have surgery and now has problems with aneamia again. I hope the injections help and that she is back to feeling better again soon.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi coopkins and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter...:hug:

Both of my children have Ileal Crohns too and have had terminal ileum resections. As has been suggested, also get your daughter to have blood tests for Folate, Iron Stores, B12 and Vitamin D. I guess she has already had tests done for iron but have a look at this article in the wiki regarding anaemia of chronic disease/inflammation...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Anemia-of-Chronic-Disease

...may be something for you and your daughter to look into.

Good luck! I hope your daughter starts feeling on top of things very soon!

Dusty. xxx