• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new :)

Hi!

I was diagnosed with Crohns/Colitis in 2000, but I suspect that I have been suffering with it most of my life as some of my earliest memories are of "tummy troubles". I have a second cousin with very severe Crohns (maybe it is genetic?)

I have been on Mercaptopurine and Effexor in the past. But now I'm on Balsalazide only. Since going off the Effexor in 2010 (which was the hardest thing I have ever done) I have been plagued by low-grade consistent flares for over a year. Prednisone helps but as soon as I drop the dose below 7 mg, it's right back to the symptoms.

I used to :heart: my gastroenterologist. But recently I feel that he is not taking me seriously or helping my situation. When I do manage to see him it's a quick 10 minute appointment where he seems to laugh at my questions and just prescribes an increase in prednisone and/or Balsalazide. He then tells me to come back if it doesn't work. After suffering this roller coaster of prednisone and mild-flares for over 6 months, I'm really just sick of it. I don't want to go back on Effexor after the horrible process of getting off of it. But I do want my remission back- desperately!

Right now my symptoms are bleeding and mucus every day and several bouts of diarrhea daily. Mornings are the worst. No one at my work knows what I am dealing with, as it is very important to me to not seem 'disabled' or 'sickly'. But each morning I suffer multiple trips to the toilet and varying degrees of pain. For the past two days I have been feeling 'shaky' and light-headed with some sensitivity to light, so back on the prednisone am I. Usually this will stop the above symptoms in a day or two, but bring along with it the nasty side effects that only prednisone can bring.

I have an appointment with my gastro for March 7th (his first available appointment) and I know that I'll have to be more forceful with him this visit. I have 'fired' two gastroenterologist already and really don't want to begin again with a forth doctor. All the gastroenterologist in this town work together and I fear I am developing a reputation for being 'difficult'. You should see the size and notes in my file! :ytongue:

Anyway, I'm really happy that I found this board. It's been a great help this morning reading everyone's stories and questions. It makes me feel not so alone. Thanks!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with getting your GI to help, it is definetly time to get tough with him if you don't want the hassle of looking for another one, do not leave that room until you have an action plan that you are happy with. Also has any type of tests been done recently to check for disease activity/inflammation levels etc? There are a fair few meds that could still be tried for you and I am not sure why he seems happy to keep you on something like the pred for all this while - I assume he has made sure to prescribe a calcium supplement whilst you are on this? Will keep my finges crossed that things go better for you on the 7th, let us know ow you get on.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Caldotis and welcome! I completely understand your not wanting to go on Effexor again. However, since an anti-depressant helped you in the past, you may want to research Amitriptyline. Given in a VERY low dose, it has been shown to reduce symptoms a significant amount in many people. We even have a club dedicated to it.

I wish you all the best :)