• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Morning Cough

Hey Guys,

I've had this hacking cough every morning for must be near on a month now. I occasionally cough through the day, but it's in the morning that's the worst. I can feel phlegm rattling in my lungs and I do eventually manage to cough up some of it which is white so not infected. After aboot half an hour the coughing settles down, but my breathing can sometimes be a bit shallow for the next couple of hours. One morning last week I couldn't breath properly because of it for a few minutes.

It's not concerning me loads cos it only happens in the mornings, but as I have an appt with my GI in 10 days I was wondering whether I should mention it to him. Can Infliximab cause morning coughs as a side effect?

Soybean xx

I'm not sure about the Remicade as a source or not. I had the same type of cough last month, I was never actually "sick" but the damp weather and pollen here have made allergies act up pretty badly. My sinuses were draining at night, so I was waking up in the morning hacking like a pack a day smoker!

I would definitely mention it to the GI though, just in case it could be a side effect or some kind of respiratory infection.

Good luck, luck us know how it turns out!

Haha! Hacking like a pack a day smoker is a good way to describe it! I'll mention it to my GI if it's still happening when I go for my appt. Thanks Sarah xx

I had a really bad cold this winter and my cough has never left. I would decribe my cough just like you did Soybean. It sure makes me wonder if it's the remicade !

You should get a chest xray if your symptoms persist for longer than 2 weeks. I had similar symptoms last winter and it turned out to be pnemonia caused by a bacteria that usually only affects small children and old people. A week of IV antibiotics finally cleared it up. (I am on Remicade and Imuran)