Share Facebook

07-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #31
pb4

There's a few reasons...1) the area...since feces passes through the rectom and out the anus, with it being full of bacteria this highly increases the risk for re-occuring infections into the wound. 2) the skin tags from my understanding is diseased tissue which is what's attached to the skin tag, if they risk cutting the skin tag off then there's no guarantee they'd get all the diseased tissue therefore making it next to impossible for the area to heal along with the area being "used" since bacterial infested feces would be passing through the open wound on a daily basis (and generally for a crohnie, many times on a daily basis).

This is how it was explained to me by a fantastic colon and rectom surgeon I saw after the damge had been done (the un-necessary hemheroidectomy performed by a stunned colon and rectom surgeon).

07-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #32
Isla

Well I guess I don't understand why they couldn't perform this in hospital on "bowel rest." Which means nothing by mouth with iv fluids. Nothing would be passing while they healed.
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #33
pb4

It could take months of bowel rest and that still wouldn't guarantee the area would completely heal, then once the "area" was "used" it could more than likely open up a whole new can of worms...I know that some people have stated they had theirs cut off but the docs looked at mine and said they were simply too big, and the bigger, the better chance of having disasterous problems.

07-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #34
pb4

Here's a link which shows pics of (first pics) hemmies, under pics of hemmies is perianal crohn's skin tags (aka; elephant ears), even the article states they should not be cut off...mine are bigger than the ones in this pic...

http://www.emedmag.com/html/pre/fea/features/011504.asp

07-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #35
Aenea01

I've got a question about this.

I get these ulcers every 3 to 6 months for the past 4 years or so, they take about a week to ten days to heal up if I'm very careful not to irritate them....they are external in the peri area, and the taint area, and up into the vaginal area. It hurts like hell and I'm a bit unhappy about it

I go to see my OB and get tested for everything under the sun every six months for years - nada. She believes its a Chrohns related event. So off I go to the GI, who believes that because of the area that its in the OB should take care of it. Neither one offeres so much as a pat on the head. I'm totally and completely f*k'd. Oh wait! No I'm not cause I don't dare get near anyone!
07-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Jeff D.

Welcome to the forum. Could it possibly be an abscess. I would go to another GI to get a second opinion and treatment if your GI won't treat you. Best of luck.
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
Isla

Ya you can have 3rd and 4th opinions if you really need someone to take you seriously. Remember not all doctors are created equal!!!!! Passing the buck doesn't seem very professional to me.

You could start with the simple non-invasive serum blood test - pANCA and ASCA and from there decide if you need a colonoscopy or other tests! Hope this helps!
07-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #38

hi Aenea, & welcome

ouch!! that sounds really painful and distressing it seems crazy that neither doctor wants to take charge of this problem and help you out!

i'd agree with Jeff & Isla - it's your body, you have the right to take it elsewhere if these guys are not giving you the care & treatment you need.
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #39
Aenea01

Heh,

Thanks for the encouraging word. These are tiny little things like the mouth sores mentioned in another thread, small actual ulcers - they vary in size and placement but are definately not abscesses (Had one of those one also a few years back - treated with surgery. MY MY what an experience)
05-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #40
Jay Woodman

My Support Groups:
I found this technical article for perianal CD. Remember this report isn't directed towards patients but figured I would at least pass it on:

Perianal Crohn’s Disease
Thanks..The article is extremely helpful. I have Perianal Crohn's & would appreciate any further recommendations from Forum members on other helpful technical articles.
05-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #41
Daisy123
It is very difficult to heal when you are continually going to the toilet. I have lost half my sphincter as a result. When I had a repair many years ago, I had a temporary ileostomy which allowed things to heal properly
04-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #42
Sorebutt26

How do you get diagnosed with Perianal Crohn's?

05-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #43
toesaw

Hello Sorebutt26.
Not sure who you directed this question to. I had a fiscal exam and some blood draw, the blood draw showed the Crohns was active again. The fiscal exam is when the doctor told me that it was Perianal due to the fistulas. Just had another 360 abdominal and pelvic MRI done Friday and go for blood work today, once the gastro doc gets that information, I go back to him to discuss treatment plan. Hope you are doing well?
05-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #44
Sorebutt26

Hello Sorebutt26.
Not sure who you directed this question to. I had a fiscal exam and some blood draw, the blood draw showed the Crohns was active again. The fiscal exam is when the doctor told me that it was Perianal due to the fistulas. Just had another 360 abdominal and pelvic MRI done Friday and go for blood work today, once the gastro doc gets that information, I go back to him to discuss treatment plan. Hope you are doing well?
Thanks toesaw.

I was just asking in general. Thanks for replying. I have many problems in my bum! I've had haemorroids, skin tag, polyp, fissure and now fistula's over the years. I have gastro problems too. Not major, however I do struggle with cramping, urgency and regular bowel movements. Had a Faecal Calprotectin which was raised, CRP and ERS blood tests, both slightly raised. Just waiting To find out if further testing will be done.

I was wondering if I'd be diagnosed with perianal crohns on symptoms alone or if there was a specific test to be done

XxX

05-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #45
toesaw

Sorebutt26, all my problems started out as gastro, pain in my stomach, major cramping, blockages. Last July my colonoscopy came back clean, I was told I was in remission. Within six months, I started having problems with my bum. Burning, itching, redness, bleeding, hurt to sit too long, bathes helped some. The blood work showed the Crohns was active, that is when he did a physical exam and said he could see and feel the abscess and feel the fistulas. So more test are being requested. I am so sorry to know you are having these issues. I hope you find a comfortable way to deal with the daily "pain in the a**". Best wishes