• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet advice and new symptoms.

Hi everyone, I am still struggling with huge digestion issues coinciding with major back problems. I am working towards an official diagnosis but am struggling to alleviate my current "flare-up" symptoms (if indeed it is crohns). I am lactose intolerant and am looking for a smoothy or something that I can keep down that will give me much needed energy. I have reduced my junk food intake to almost nil, still eat sugar cereals though with almond milk. Surprisingly can keep that in me. Does anyone have any suggestions for more energy intake with a lactose free diet? Yesterday made the mistake of trying to eat a healthy dinner of home made chef salad. Wow, was that a mistake! Sweating chills dry heaves, pain, pain, and more pain in abdomen. The nausea is the most difficult for me to deal with. Woke up with slightly less pain and still very nauseas but had to go for scheduled CT scan.
Did not know that lettuce would create such a reaction (assuming that was the culprit). Other ingredients are, toasted almond slivers, hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, red onion, thinly chopped salami.
Other symptoms in last two months include: psoriasis, mouth ulcers, L3 vertebra slipping/rotating out of joint, huge indigestion after eating a small "real" dinner such as belching (wake the neighbor kind of belching), vomiting and dry heaves with nausea, a lower and upper abdomenal pain, back pain and Sally peeling skin and toe nails. That pretty much covers it, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Matisse (painter?)

I think a low residue or liquid diet may be in order for you. It sounds like you may have some narrowing from your symptoms. High fiber foods are a real problem (nuts, salad etc.)

The back issue can be connected. Often the gut issues cause poor posture (guarding of the area) and a lack of restful sleep (tossing and turning) which aggravates the back - not to mention the heaving! Psoriasis and mouth ulcers can be from iron deficiency (and other nutritional issues.)

Hope you get your results from the scan soon, and a treatment plan.

All the best.

Wow, sounds like you are having a hard time. I hope you get a proper diagnosis soon! Have you tried making smoothies with almond milk or soy or rice milk? i know someone who does fruits with almond milk and loves it.
Also, if you are having severe reactions to foods like you described, try avoiding raw fruits and vegis, nuts, popcorn, and stick to softer cooked vegis, apple sauce, (you can also get Ensure or something to drink if you are concerned about nutrition). Cooked chicken is usually easy to digest. Try that for a day or two and see if you feel better. Think soft, simple, easy to digest cooked foods. I would avoid salami (highly processed with lots of additives and spices) and eat a lean, well cooked meat instead.
Good luck!