Share Facebook

03-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
rhosymynydd
This member has been approved by an Administrator to post this message.

Book - updating website & ostomy puppets!

If you want a real ostomate manual, for those with crohn's who have a bowel removal, even if it is temporary, then this is the book for you UNWANTED BAGGAGE on www.amazon.co.uk (and amazon.com). It is constantly updated through the website: www.thebowelmovement.co.uk on which you can find ventriloquist puppet videos (with ostomies) - the latest was filmed with the help of he NHS in a local hospital with a puppet having a sigmoidoscopy starring a real Gastroenterologist. There are a lot more "hospital experience" videos under production for children and new Senior Ostomates have their own Gastronaut Puppets as well. All ostomy puppets are available for purchase and a new line of internal bag puppets - with removable catheters and enterostomal feeding tubes is just being introduced. Over 4,500 of these puppets are hard at work at hospitals, with colorectal staff and nurses and have become friends with child ostomates in 15 countries worldwide. All profits from the puppets (£10 ea.) and the book's royalties are donated to the UK's main ostomy associations, crohnsandcolitis.org.uk, and puppets are also being supplied at no charge to Diversions (NW children's Group) and the new NE Group for their use in education and as gifts for new ostomate kids.

Last edited by rhosymynydd; 03-07-2012 at 06:33 AM.
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

I've never heard of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) causing a need for an ostomy.

I've heard of IBD (inflammatory Bowel Disease--Crohn's disease or Ulcerative Colitis) as a cause for an ostomy due to perforations, bowel obstructions, infections, strictures, adhesions,or fistulas.

Too many folks confuse IBS with IBD.

IBS is a disorder that interferes with the normal functions of the colon. The symptoms are crampy abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.

IBS is a common disorder found more often in women than men.

People with IBS have colons that are more sensitive and reactive to things that might not bother other people, such as stress, large meals, gas, medicines, certain foods, caffeine, or alcohol.

IBS is diagnosed by its signs and symptoms and by the absence of other diseases.

Most people can control their symptoms by taking medicines such as laxatives, antidiarrhea medicines, antispasmodics, or antidepressants; reducing stress; and changing their diet.

IBS does not harm the intestines and does not lead to cancer. It is not related to Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.
03-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
rhosymynydd

IBS is totally different to IBD - but did you post this in the wrong section as I never mentioned IBS leading to a bowel perforation etc.?? sorry.
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

"Proving that Gastronauts are not just for kids! By special request we are going to follow Ronís travails from IBS through a successful ostomy and life afterwards."

after reading the above, IBS to a successful ostomy. Never heard of IBS leading up to an ostomy.

If you re read my statement I just used bowel perforation & others as an example. You must have misinterpreted. these things happen.
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
rhosymynydd

Thanks so much for pointing out my typo, I was in a hurry because my stepson had just been diagnosed that morning with IBS and had it on my mind. This is not the first time I have been guilty of a typo but it does not detract from the work of the Gastronauts! They are taking part in a zipwire soon to help raise funds for needy ostomates (NE England) and have just featured once more in The Phoenix (UOAA mag) wih a full account of all their good work in helping STNs, colorectal staff, parents and children revcover from their ostomy, whatever the cause. Ron (the IBD patient) took part in a senior coffee morning at IOSSA (St Mark's Group) and was welcomed by all.
03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

FYI: I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I think it's awesome what you are doing and was just trying to figure out why IBS caused an ostomy as I've been an ileostomate for 25 yrs. and active with the CCFA and ostomy support group where I live and just never heard of such a thing.

I'm glad it was just a typo otherwise I'd be asking my surgeon what's up with IBS and ostomies. lol