• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How much/often do you empty?

Bit of a weird one maybe but how full are your bags before you empty them? I seem to be emptying my bag every 3-4 hours with about 100-200 ml in, when the bag is probably about 1/4 to 1/3rd full. But how much can I get away with if I needed to? I'm basically not sure If I'm just emptying my bag more often than I need to be which is fine when I'm at home but means when I go out anywhere I start to get really anxious if I don't get to a toilet within a few hours to empty, even if I could effectively leave it for longer.

I think you could certainly wait until it has 300-400 ml in it. When it gets 500ml in it it starts to get heavy. I have often emptied mine when it has over 700ml in it but that is usually in an emergency. By which point I am supporting the weight of the bag with one hand underneath it whilst running for the nearest bush! I drive for a living and sometimes when I havent taken my 8 immodium tablets my bag can fill up in less than a minute and I wear a huge bag which holds about a litre!

I have been caught short before and have had to empty my bag into various containers around my van such as pop bottles and sweet bags.

i'm the same as you robbo, i empty every few hours when the bag is around 1/4 to 1/3 full but i think it has been the trick to my success as far as leaks are concerned. however, i have had the bag fill 100% full overnight so much so that as i am opening the seal over the toilet the pressure that has built up in the bag makes the output shoot everywhere.
i would really try not to let it get any fuller than half, especially if it is very watery.

Same as you both Robbo and LFB.
I empty my bag when it's 1/4 or 1/3 full. Anymore full than that and I freak out a little.
It is choc full of air overnight though.
I'm still getting used to how it all works though.
I might get all blasé as time passes.

Emma - you are so kick arse! (it is Emma yes - Fizzifish??)
I admire your style. Nothing seems to hold you back and dent your confidence.
You really inspire me.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
I try to empty it when it is a quarter full. Any more than that and it gets too heavy. On average, I empty it 7 times a day. I keep ziploc bags and wet wipes on me in case I have to empty it and there is no bathroom nearby.

It's about a 1/4 to a 1/3 for me too. Also, it's about 3 to 4 hours for me as well.
Everyone knows the saying that goes something like 'never leave home wearing dirty underwear,' right? Well my saying is "Never leave home (or anywhere for that matter) without emptying your bag first."

ameslouise

If I'm home I let it get pretty full before I empty it, but when I am at work, I empty at least a few times a day, so it doesn't start to show.

Overnight it gets really full of air, and I usually get up twice to empty it over the course of 8 hours.

- Ames

It really depends on what I've been eating/drinking to be honest, and also if I'm out and about or just at home. Normally I'll empty between 4 and 8 times a day.