• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scared

SHOULD I HAVE SURGERY?

• SURGERY

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO SURGERY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HI MY NAME IS KRYSTAL I AM 23 YEARS OLD AND I WAS RECENTLY DIGNOISED WITH CROHN'S DIEASE. I HAVE THE SYMPTOMS OF CROHN'S SINCE 2005 AND THE DRS AND HOSPITALS COULD NEVER FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME UNTIL THIS YEAR! I AM SO SCARED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! I HAVE MESSED SO MUCH WORK DUE TO HURTING SO BAD NOT BEING ABLE TO GET OUT OF BED AND I BLEED REAL BAD AND ITS HARD FOR ME TO EVEN EAT ANYMORE I HAVE LOST 7 POUNDS IN THE LAST 5 DAYS! ITS BEEN A STRUGGLE TO EVEN HAVE A NORMAL LIFE THESE PAST FEW YEARS IT SEEMS LIKE IT JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE!!! I CANT EVEN PLAY WITH MY KIDS ANYMORE AND IT HURTS ME VERY BADLY! ANY ADVICE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE SOME THOUGHTS ON IF I SHOULD HAVE THE SURGERY OR NOT!? I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD OR NOT!:yfrown::yfrown:

Hi Krystal,
Im sorry you're feeling so terrible. It's hard for me to tell you if you should have surgery or not. I can only tell you what my experience has been.

I was feeling very much the same exactly 1 year ago. Constant pain, couldn't eat, couldn't work. I also lost a lot of weight. 60 lbs in about 3-4 months! Very scary!..Anyways I ended up having the surgery(not by choice though) I had a horrible abcess from my bowel perforating.

Fast forward 1 year and now Im in remisson with the help of Azathioprine. And I feel like my old self again! Surgery pretty much gave me a fresh start. So it was definetly worth it for me.

You should speak with your Dr. and see if it is something that would benefit you.

I hope this helped a bit:)..~Niki

I was forced to have the surgery after an army doctor accused me of faking symptoms just to get pain meds. After I tried to strangle him he set up the apt for the surgery... Even though the army doc butchered my stomach it’s the best thing that has ever happened to me, I’m back on my mountain bike and I feel great.

Relief

Krystal,

I know how scary the idea of surgery can be, but if you can't do anything you want to do, and can't get relief from medication, then you should think about having the surgery. I spent over ten years trying different meds and fighting with the symptoms. It finally got so bad that I MADE my GI doc admit me. After the recovery (which took me a couple months) I felt 110% better. You'll still take preventive medications, but I went another 8 years before I even noticed any symptoms again.

Just my opinion. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya not enough information here. Have you been taking any medication? Did your GI suggest surgery as an option? Surgery doesn't mean you're cured and after you have it you increase your need for surgery in the future so its best to treat it with medication first rather than cutting out the affected portion. If medication does not work then yes surgery is an option.

I had emergency surgery 2 years ago. I was undiagnosed but feeling many of the same symptoms as you. I lost 20 lbs (and Im thin), I was very malnurished, and couldnt eat. When I did eat I threw it up, and what didnt get thrown up came back out very quickly. Anyway I had a bowel obstruction and the doctors cut me open and took out about 2 1/2 feet. Im not gonna lie to you, the surgery sucked, and the recovery sucked more. But two years later and I havent once felt the kind of pain I experienced before the surgery. I would do it again if I had the choice. But that is my crohns and my situation, I dont know yours and cant suggest either way. But if your doctor says surgery, maybe its a good idea.