• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and exercise

Hi, I really need some advice. I was diagnosed with Crohn's last year in August, I still haven't found a medication regime that works for me and am currently on the increasing dose of Azathioprine (which as yet is not working). My problem is that I am currently training for a marathon and as most of you will know pushing your body during exercise, when you have Crohn's, can have unwanted side effects. I have searched Crohn's web sites and all they suggest is exercise near to toilets or not pushing your self. I refuse to believe that that is the only options. I don't believe that I should stop pushing myself or doing what I enjoy just because of my diagnosis. The problem is I live in a rural setting and rarely pass public conveniences (and as you can imagine 20 mile on a treadmill is a bit sole destroying). Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hi Paulapossible.
I am UN DX as of yet but I cycle alot and found that I have to plan from the day before diet wise to try to get more control when Im out. I refuse to take imodium because I know it effects my performce( makes it worse). I have to wait till after 11 in the morning as this is always a bad time, but it can be done. Unfortunatley as you know these things are very unpredictable so for me planning my diet for foods that I react least to helps. There are no toilets on mountains where I live either.

Thanks Peter, it's nice to know that there are others out there who have the same problems as me. Like you I find that early morning exercise is a problem. I've tried a variety of diet changes the day before exercise but I train 5 days a week and have to do a lot after working long shifts which can make diet modification difficult. Sometimes the only answer is Imodium, but even then there is no guarantee, and I suffer when it wears off. It's so frustrating.

Pauulapossible I too work long shifts and have recently started cycling to work 20 mile round trip. I eat after the trip each way if you know what I mean and it works for me. I do not eat in the morning at week ends before an outing ,but I eat when on the road during the event. This is mainly sports soluable drinks like high 5 etc.... Energy is always a problem and Im not competitive any more but I still love it , for me its a life saver and helps me through the bad days.
I know imodium works I just hate it as i get very sore from it afterwards
I bought a turbo trainer and it bored me almost to death so rain hail snow ,bring it on ! Im goin out !
I always say everyday is a balancing act, so days we get it right .

David

Co-Founder
Please be sure to let your doctor know if you decide to take it (or better yet discuss it with them first) AND heed the warnings about not taking it anywhere around the time you take your medicine like discussed in that thread.

If you do take it, letting us know how you fare in that thread whether positive, negative, or unchanged would be greatly appreciated and help others after you.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :bigwave: it is great to see that you are determined to continue with your training and to not let this disease rule you, I wish you lots of luck and please keep us updated on how you get on. Fingers crossed the Aza will kick in soon as well, how long have you been on this and what dose are you getting to?

xxx

I find that if I have activities coming up, I will do exercises that will bend and twist my torso before hand. That seems to help move things past any blockage. Another thing I have tried which may sound odd, is to use a massager on my lower right region. Anything to get it over with so I can go into situations where a restroom visit will be difficult.
Something PVail said strikes home. What is it about "after 11". I try to plan activities after that time as well because most of my issues occur 8:30 to 11 AM. That was one of the main reasons I quit corporate world and went into business for myself. Staff meetings and such were always in my worst time slot.

My mornings are usually ok, once I get past the first getting up bathroom visits. But I can plan on being in the restroom after lunch or supper if it's one of those days where the immodium didn't quite work.

Thank you to everyone who has posted I'm so pleased that You all took the time to help me. There are some great suggestions and no doubt I will have a go at them all. Unfortunately my local supermarket does not stock the psyllium (I live in a very rural area) so that's a no go. My husband however does acupuncture as part of his job (he is a physio which comes in handy with the training) so he did some research and we are going to give it a go. Angrybird I am currently on 2mg mesalazine granuals twice a day and 125mg azathiaprine but not much changing. Although that could be due to the fact I'm currently on nights which make things worse too. I'll let you all know how the acupuncture works.
Thank you all so much
Paula xxx