Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Natural alternative to Ensure or Boost

03-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Barnacle

Natural alternative to Ensure or Boost

I've been reading about this enteral nutrition a bit and it sounds pretty neat. But when I went to Walmart today to get some Ensure, I was flabbergasted by the ingredients. Boost wasn't any better. Does anyone know of any good, natural alternatives to these products that avoid all the terrible ingredients but serve the same purpose?
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Pita

I've used a product called Absorb plus by Jini Patel which is much better and without HFCS or those types of things. However, it's very expensive, especially if you are doing total enteral nutrition. It's worked really well for me and actually doesn't taste bad.
03-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

This is something I've been looking into a bit but have a lot of learning to do. So far this is what I've found that I like the idea of the most: http://myvega.com/products/vega-one-...tures-benefits but it's still imperfect in my opinion.
03-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
SarahC

There's terrible ingredients in Ensure? :/
03-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
David
Co-Founder

Sarah, if you do well with Ensure, then pay no attention to any of this. But a quick search found these to be the primary ingredients for Ensure Plus:

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate.

Those may be fine for many. Others of us have dietary theories and/or sensitivities that necessitate that we stay away from such ingredients.
03-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
SarahC

Oh okay! Thanks for clarifying David! Currently on 6 bottles a day!
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
kiny

http://www.nutricia.com.au/clinical/...l028extra.aspx these things are really really expensive though. I don't user enteral nutrition myself.

They also have carbs btw, even though they're supposed to be for crohn..so idk what to think of that.
03-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
http://www.nutricia.com.au/clinical/...l028extra.aspx these things are really really expensive though. I don't user enteral nutrition myself.

They also have carbs btw, even though they're supposed to be for crohn..so idk what to think of that.
This is what I am having as sole EN.

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
wolfem

I've tried lots of different ones and also found Vega to taste the best. lol. However, I don't like the fact that they put maca root in it :/ Can't they just leave out some of the herbs in these drinks?
Current meds: Sertraline, Seroquel, Lorazepam (as needed)

Supplements: Trace min EOD, Fish oil, calcium+D, B12 sublingual + B complex, goat yogurt

03-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
community

I've tried lots of different ones and also found Vega to taste the best. lol. However, I don't like the fact that they put maca root in it :/ Can't they just leave out some of the herbs in these drinks?
Why don't you like maca root? I've never tried it myself.

Is the Vega drink good to gain weight though? It seems too "healthy" to be a weight gainer but I could be wrong.
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
mreyn

My Support Groups:
My son's natural dr recommended him Ultra Clear Sustain

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Natural alternative to Ensure or Boost