• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all....

N

Nick

...my name is Nick, 40, from the sunny UK.

Became ill on Nov 6 08. It was scary because I'm never ill, I mean the odd cold and sniffle, but nothing like this. I'm the sort of bloke that laughs off illness and just gets on with things.

I guess vomiting blood gave my an indication that something was up:) , I mean I thought it was trapped wind:smile:

Spent a week in hospital recovering and was told they suspected that I had Crohn's. Had the usual tests, there's a life experience, and was confirmed in Jan this year that I have a 20cm inflammed bowel in the right iliuem (Sp?) area, which was nice.

The Doc and I decided that we'd try for remission with a low fibre diet first, yeah right. Was admitted again in Feb and stuffed full of steriods, now on 100 press ups a day, ok maybe not:tongue:

Started on 10mg of Prednisolone daily, now down to 5mg every other day and 150mg of Azathioprine, pretty standard I guess. All blood tests are so far normal.

Feel good at the moment, back in the gym doing the usual 10 press ups!! and playing football (soccer).

I realise that I'm very lucky at the moment, as there are alot of people worse of than me and I'm able, due to the drugs, to lead a normal life. I'm just aiming to be in remission for as long as possible.

Anyway nice to cyber meet you all.

I

Isla

That I think it is everyone's goal, to be in remission as long as possible. But don't feel bad if you are better off then others as everyone's experience can be different. I seem to think that the emotional difficulty is virtually the same. We have have all gone through the same emotions. Anyway, glad you are doing well and wlecome!

hi Nick, welcome :)

that must have been a very scary intro to Crohns for you! i think i would totally freak if i vomitted blood. you've done really well to go from that to how you are now, though :)

glad you joined us. :D

N

Nick

Isla- My main emotion is I hope my 10 month old son doesn't grow up to have a IDB. We have a history of stomach problems in my family, though I'm the only one to be diagnosed with any form of IDB.

Jeff D- Shrewsbury Town, ever heard of them? Who you follow mate?

dingbat- Like I said I'm lucky, but fully prepared for the worst.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Nick. I am glad that things are going well now. I improved greatly after my surgery, and hopefully you will be able to remain in good health for quite some time.

Shrewsbury town, what division are they in. I've been a supporter of West Ham for years. My dad got me into them. Too bad the past few years haven't been great though.

N

Nick

Jeff D. said:
Shrewsbury town, what division are they in. I've been a supporter of West Ham for years. My dad got me into them. Too bad the past few years haven't been great though.
The fourth tier of English football, ie League 2. Type in Shrewsweb on your shearch engine.

Back in the 80's we used to play West Ham, Trevor Brooking and all and beat them. Ask your dad if he remembers that.

Yeah I don't follow the English second division very much, Germany and Denmark is a different story. Yeah I'll defitely do a search on them. My dad only started getting really into football in the late 80's and in America we didn't get much press on games. Maybe the occasional Man U game or Chelsea. My dad started following West Ham though in the early 90's. West Ham's my English team I follow other teams a little more though. The past few years have been a bit disapointing.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi Nick,

Good to see you found us! You are not alone in trying several things til you get some relief and it usually ends up a combo.

Look forward to seeing you post.