• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad allergic reaction to prednisone?!!!!

I'm currently having a bad flare to where I was hospitalized for extreme weight loss I went from 130 to 105(very runny bm's), a heart rate of 150 (because of the inflammation), and just an overall sick feeling that's lasted for 3 weeks now. The main reason I was hospitalized was the heart rate but all the tests for heart problems came up negative so I was released yesterday for a total of 3 days in the hospital. To get me out of the flare my doctor prescribed me prednisone 20 mg twice a day for two months. I had my first dose in the hospital yesterday at about 1 and when I was home at about 5 I started to get really itchy, and when I looked in the mirror it was truly alarming my entire neck and face were swollen, red and covered in hives. I called my doctor and he told me to take a benydrl and my inhaler (I have ashma) and also stop taking the medication (obviously) after a half an hour I was better. Ive never had such a bad allergic reaction it was scary! I'm wondering if anyone ever had such a severe reaction i was told it was very rare because they use it for allergic reactions.

I had a bad reaction to some soluble pred, very itchy and even worse stomach pains than the Crohns had been giving me. I've never had a problem with the tablets though. Have you taken them before without problems? I hope you're feeling better now, it sounds pretty terrifying!

When I talked to my doctor after the reaction he told me to stop taking it, but when I talked to him yesterday he said he wants me to try one more dose at 10 mg to see if I react again, needless to say I was not happy, but I understand his reasoning I need to get better quickly from this flare, and at this point it's trying this or go to something like humira or cimzia which are in my mind last resorts. Right now I'm just scared, this is my first time on pred and I've heard there is a lot of side effects aside from my allergic
reaction.

Are they completely sure it was the pred that caused the reaction, or is that why they're suggesting that you try it again? 20mg isn't a particularly high dose for an adult, I think it's quite common for people to start on 40mg+ to bring a flare under control. I wonder whether it would be worth you taking an anti-histamine before taking the lower dose of pred just to be on the safe side, that way if you do react again it won't be as bad?

I'm very lucky that I don't suffer any side effects whilst taking pred, but the benefit is usually worth putting up with a few side effects if they are minor (but obviously not if you're having an allergic reaction like you had!). Hopefully you'll get on better with the lower dose, take care and please let us know how you get on.

I'm almost positive the reaction was from the pred, I hadn't taken any other medicine except for tylenol which Ive taken quite a few times. I think his main reasoning for wanting to retry it is because I don't have many options, and he thinks it may have been a one time thing, the antihistamine is a good idea I think he wants me to try it one more time without it just to see if I have a reaction, but that would definatley be a good idea if I continued taking it. If I do stay on it my dose will be 40 mg but broken up so I have 20 mg two times a day, so I guess it's not as bad as taking the whole 40 mg together. It just seems so weird to have a reaction to a drug that supposed to stop one, but with the way my lucks going I guess it was bound to happen! Lol
I'll defenatly keep everyone posted, hopefully it will be good news!!!