• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira has stopped working

I have been on Humira for about two years with great results. I would have the occasional twinge in my lower right side and maybe diarrhea once a week, but that is an amazing improvement over where I once was.

Unfortunately, in the last couple of weeks, Humira has stopped working. I'm as bad as I ever was. I have an appointment to see my GI in a few days but was wondering what is next? Can the increase the dose of Humira or am I on to the next fancy drug? Does anyone have an experience with this?

Same happened to me. Your body has built antibodies against the Humira..aka you're becoming immune to it. But yes, they can increase your doses..which they may do. Say if your taking it once a month, they'll make it twice a month. Or they may add methatrexate...write it down and ask your GI about it if he doesnt suggest it. I went to an IBD center at UNC, and thats what they wanted to do for me...these are better experts than your regular GI so I trust what they say..it didn't work for me but thats because I have a rare problem where i'm not responding to ANYTHING. so dont use me as an example. However, I have heard amazing things about Humira and methatrexate together. If he does prescribe you that, make sure he prescribes folic acid along with it because methatrexate significantly reduces your folic acid amounts.

Write all of this down and take it to your doctor. It'll help both of you while you're there. Hope this info helped! Good luck! I'll be praying for you!

Thank you for the information. I was just reading about Methotrexate and it seems like it stops my body from making antibodies against the Humira like you mentioned. But does that mean it stops my body from making antibodies against other things like virus and bacteria?

They will probably move you from every fourteen days to every seven. I started getting symptoms st day ten so energy move me to every ten days and symptom free again.

I seem to be having the same issue with my Humeria injections. I hope its just a fault and will fix its self, I hate these mouth ulcers when they arrive. ugh. Good luck to you though and I hope you and your doctor can get your situation figured out.

Humira suppresses your immune system...you were already having problems fighting off viruses and bacteria and didn't even realize it! lol So yes, you will need to watch being around sick people, touching dirt, trash, cat litter boxes, etc..but you should have already been doing that. Sometimes your GI forgets to tell you that part but it is very much a reality with Humira (and Cimzia and Remicade, etc) So the methotrexate would be worth trying if your doctor wants to do it. And if you're at work and sick people are around, you have an excuse to work in a separate office or take a break...or go home lol (just dont take advantage of that hahaha)

Hope this helps!

Would you like for me to add you to my prayer list? I'm going to start a prayer list on my blog

www.lifeofacrohnie.blogspot.com (please let me know if this link doesn't work)

I have been on Humira for about two years with great results. I would have the occasional twinge in my lower right side and maybe diarrhea once a week, but that is an amazing improvement over where I once was.

Unfortunately, in the last couple of weeks, Humira has stopped working. I'm as bad as I ever was. I have an appointment to see my GI in a few days but was wondering what is next? Can the increase the dose of Humira or am I on to the next fancy drug? Does anyone have an experience with this?
Hi AckMac,

I too was on Humira a few years ago and while in my case it only worked for a month my doctor increased the shots first to two then to three to see if it would begin to work again. In my case it didn't but I guess it shows that it's an option if current Humira dose isn't working. On the other hand it may be that you have built up a physiological defense and any dose of Humira no matter how high wouldn't work?

Good luck to you, I do hope there's a way round this one.
L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't thank you all enough. I really appreciate the information. I'm feeling so much better thank to you all. I thought all was lost :)

When I am having a bad week I inject into fresh meat, the back of the arms, the fat above the triceps. It usually gives me an extra charge than the legs or stomach.

Give it a shot;)

The humira methotrexate combination is working for me. There is a paper war that my GI fights for me to get on the humira.

Remicade would be the next logical option. It is a bimonthly infusion that is basically the same drug as humira.

Since you developed a resistance to Humira, you are susseptable to doing the same to Remicade. This risk can be reduced by never going beyond 10 weeks between remicades and taking benadryl or Zyrtec 20 minutes prior to your infusion.

my little penguin

Staff member
Antihistamines such as Benadryl or Zyrtec do not stop the body from developing antibodies.
they are only h1 blockers.
they can lessen the effects of an allergic reaction but can not stop it.

the only way to reduce the odds of developing antibodies is to co administer an immunosuppressant such as 6-mp, AZA or MTX.

The combo of an anti-TNF plus an immunosuppressant can increase your risk of T-cell lymphoma.
read here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002580/

I going to start Humira in July Dr said that it usually works for about 2 years sometime longer he said that everyone is different on this drug but this will be my second drug in 2 my blood work needs to get back to normal I was on Iruma for 4 weeks to the day I stopped. If this don't work I will have to go to Remicade with the methotrexate!!!!!

Good luck Blessing Lisa

@penguin, you're right on the resistance part. I definitely didn't think that out before I hit enter. The 10 weeks max interval is for both resistance and allergy. Taking benadryl and zyrtec premed will reduce the probability of an allergic reaction while getting infused.

Has anyone had a side effect of numbness in their finger tips and a decreased sense of feeling in their theighs (which is where my son injects his pen) ? Also are the chances of an allergic reaction to Humira higher if their antibodies are high and they have already had an allergic reaction to Remicade?

I disagree with after Humira(Adalimumab) not working to go with Remicade(Infliximab) (or Cimzia). They are all TNF blockers and although different chemistry in each they all work in the same manner. The antibodies may inhibit the TNF Blockers in all.

Humira stopped working for me even though I was on a weekly dose, the maximum. In the office where I go there are 5 Gastroenterologists, in this case they are all prescribing Entyvio which is not a TNF blocker but works on a protein that transports inflammatory cells. I took the second infusion, they say that it may take up to six months to find out if it is working.

Last edited:
Same happened to me. Your body has built antibodies against the Humira..aka you're becoming immune to it. But yes, they can increase your doses..which they may do. Say if your taking it once a month, they'll make it twice a month. Or they may add Methotrexate...write it down and ask your GI about it if he doesnt suggest it. I went to an IBD center at UNC, and thats what they wanted to do for me...these are better experts than your regular GI so I trust what they say..it didn't work for me but thats because I have a rare problem where i'm not responding to ANYTHING. so dont use me as an example. However, I have heard amazing things about Humira and Methotrexate together. If he does prescribe you that, make sure he prescribes folic acid along with it because Methotrexate significantly reduces your folic acid amounts.

Write all of this down and take it to your doctor. It'll help both of you while you're there. Hope this info helped! Good luck! I'll be praying for you!
I am very curious about your rare problem where nothing works....even a place to do more research!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's and NOTHING is working...I feel the exact same as I did when I had the original colonoscopy (GI wanted one to check my symptoms - I wanted my hemroids banded)

Prednisone was the original prescription and now Humira and as I said nothing is working.

Will say a prayer for you! Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give!

I'd look into either upping the dose of Humira, or going with another med to supplement the Humira. I've been on Imuran during most of my time with Humira to stave off the antibodies and assist with knocking down the inflammation. When I went off Imuran for a while, my symptoms slowly came back, however I was not creating antibodies, so they just put me back on Imuran. Things seem to be getting better.

Hcrum87hc - Thank you for your response. I have a followup next week with my GI, I am going to discuss changing up my meds.