• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 5 cents for how to deal with crohn

I started SCD 2 years ago when I started having issues with stricture in small intestinal.

Background
My crohn was diagnosed 13 years ago. First I had only diarrhea & bloating, nothing really serious and I though that Crohn is just with me but doesn't bother me badly. I was skinny as ski jumper and I could eat anything without getting any extra weight. Many colonoskopys went and doctors said just eat your meds(150mg Azathioprine) and have fun with your life.

Few years ago I started univercity in different city and got involved in partying & fast food regularly. Got some weight and I really enjoyed my life. Well obviously that was too much for my stomach and Crohn got more foothold.

Getting better
I went to hospital when I had been awake for 40 hours because abdominal pain but doctors didn't find anything and only gave me painkillers. All they could do was to relieve symptoms. I got really pissed off and when I was home, I went to internet to seek any information about how to deal with Crohn, not only symptoms. I encountered Finnish SCD-diet pages and tried it for 2 months, really precisely(lost 10kg same time when played soccer 5x week). After that my crohn has been under MY control. ;)

Diet & stuff
After 2 months of SCD, I changed to paleodiet, which I have been running now 2 years. Only things Im adding to those diets are some dairy products, sour milk or raw milk from farmhouse(not quite sure if these are 100% good). I eat lot of meat, fish, fruits, vegs, eggs and my favourites, berries which I picked up last summer :)

My bloodvalue p-CRP and poopvalue F-calpro are now same as normal people, first time in 14 years. So I think there are no inflammation in my system. As by-product, my asthma and hay allergy are gone also. Im now 40% better soccer player than 2 years ago.

There is way to stop crohn, its only up to you
Thats my 5 cents. :soledance:

edit:
forgot to mention that I have been completely without meds 1,5 years now. And I have been taken 5000 UI d-vitamins per day in winter time(important!).

Last edited:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome jussip!

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am glad you have found success controlling your Crohn's Disease through diet primarily.

I am also taking 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 in the winter. Today was a real treat though as it was a record breaking day in terms of temperature and I got to spend some time outside getting some natural Vitamin D from the sun. I am looking forward to more sun ahead over the spring/summer as I am sure you are also.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!