• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran vs 6MP

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about two weeks ago and my doctor told me they're going to put me on a "thiopurine" after they do some test. I looked this up and it seems like both 6MP and Imuran are thiopurines and both are used to treat Crohn's Disease.

Which is better? What is the difference? Thank you.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't know that one is better than the other. Imuran is the parent drug to 6MP and 6MP is what Imuran is broken down into.

I have read studies that suggest that Imuran has better bioavailability than 6MP at the same dosages. Also that the brand Imuran is better absorbed by the body than it's generic Azathioprine.

If you have adverse side effects to one it doesn't mean you will have the same problems with the other.

The test you had done would have been a TPMT test.

Dusty. xxx

I have read studies that suggest that Imuran has better bioavailability than 6MP at the same dosages. Also that the brand Imuran is better absorbed by the body than it's generic Azathioprine.
I thought that generic medications had to be exactly the same as the brand names? Why would there be a difference is absorption?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I think it isn't so much the active ingredient but its presentation that is different. The generic has a powdery finish whereas the brand has a smoother, but not enteric coated, finish. It would seem that this then results in absorption differences. I imagine the brand passes through the stomach in a more intact state than the generic does??? Just speculation on my part though.

Dusty. :)

I used to take AZA from 2001 - 2003, and then quit taking it. I've tried to resume taking it but it makes me really nauseas and light headed, just all around unwell. I've tried it even as low as 12mg, but no luck, it makes me ill. Anyone ever heard of that - taking it fine for a while then quitting and restarting only to be intolerant?

I'm wondering about maybe trying 6mp. I just read an article on the web saying that 6pm might be tolerated by folks who can't tolerate AZA.

Have not experienced it myself, Mark, but I wondered if I would. I was on Imuran 15 years ago, and wondered if I would respond to it as well this fall when I was put on it again. Am currently on the Azathioprine though. Not completely sure if I was on the brand name years ago, as my GI left the state, and didn't leave me my file (butthead). I think there is logic in what happened to you, our bodies do change, which is why a person can develope an allergy to anything, at any point in their life.