03-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
izzi'smom

My Support Groups:
gummy vitamin alternatives?

Isabelle is currently on Prevacid and another anti-nausea med daily plus Zofran as needed but still can;t stomach any of her supplements (she has to run to the bathroom when she first SEES them (which I think is a stress related reaction...she needs to poop), and when she tries to chew them she gags and runs to the bathroom again. She is supposed to be on a multi, vit d, calcium, and fish oil. Do you do any other supplements that work well?
I HAVE tried a liquid fish oil (It comes in a capsule that you squeeze)...no matter what I mix it with she says it is nasty lol!
Angie, mom to Izzi,10 Crohn's Colitis 1/11 prednisone, entyvio since 2015 Tried: Tacrolimus, Bactrim, simponi, Levsin, Prevacid, Prednisilone, Humira, Remicade, EN via ng, vancomycin, Pentasa, carafate, Sulfasalazine, Cortifoam enemas, dietary changes, fish oil, VSL#3.
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Hi Angie,

I have had a liquid multi-vitamin before. I was recommended this as it was thought to be easier to absorb while I was flaring. I truly do not remember the taste, but it might be something your daughter does not mind.

I have seen liquid vitamin D drops that I imagine are flavorless or a tolerable flavour.

I have also seen chewable vitamins containing Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D all in one chewable wafer. I have seen these in more tasty flavours like chocolate, but they might have also had sugar or sugar equivalents added to them to make them tastier.

I have seen the chewables in many places (including many pharmacys and some grocery stores) however the top two items may be mostly found in health food stores.
03-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
izzi'smom

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I should have clarified it's the chewables she is having such a hard time with. I'll have to check out a health food store next week...thanks!
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Angie,
Liquid vitamin D is easy to find. Costco has a liquid multivitamin. They do make gummy bear multivitamins but when Caitlyn had a colonoscopy they saw them left in her intestines.

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
We all have the liquid Vit. D at home... Our is 1000 IU per drop. Tastes exactly like olive oil. (Let me know if you want me to check the brand...)

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
03-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
MomofIBD's

My Support Groups:
There is a line called Vitafusion I use but they are adult vitamins. It has a great calcium vitamin D gummy. I know they have a gummy fish oil that tastes pretty good. I am not sure what they have in the way of kids Vits. Daniel has taken them & likes them. On the bottle for the Calcium it reads ... Contains NO wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, or soy. It does have sucrose, glucose syrup, citric & lactic acid in them. Daniel likes to swallow pills has no problem but I 1/2 each gummy as they are really high in D. He never had a problem. But I don't worry with him having some extra D as he doesnt have much of an intake of milk products. Good idea about the health food store as they have other Vitamins in liquid. I also have taken a Vitamin B's in liquid that tastes of citrus. I hope this helps some.

Julz...Mom of 4 boys
*John (24) CD dx 12/2006 emergency bowel resec
* Wife of John dx UC 8/2008 Remicade D/C waiting for Colectomy
*Mike (22) 5/2009 emergency surgery IBS dx
*Daniel (13) CD dx 9/2010
Meds taken...Prednisone 60 mg start, ended 12/25
Flagyl (hand Neuropathy) Vancocin for C-Diff, Prilosec.
Current meds, Zantac, Probiotic
Pentasa 1,000 mg 2x a day... since dx
Multi Vit & Cal/D
03-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Chloeem

Chloe and my oldest takes Animal Parade made by Nature's Plus. We get them at Kimberton Whole Food stores. They are chewable but they have a whole line of other vitamins that are kid friendly. They may have Vit D also. If you have trouble finding them let me know I can look into it at my local store.
daily vitamin
probiotic
NG tube feed nightly 550ml

Biaxin antibiotic for 16 days
Fluconazole 40mg for 14 days
03-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
dannysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Have you tried Coromega for the Omega 3? http://www.amazon.com/Coromega-Omega.../dp/B000FFQATA

My kids all liked this ... but we are now taking gummy vitamins ... did not realize they could stay in your intestines ... yikes!

(Danny's story)
03-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
momoftwinboys

After seeing the gummie vitamins in the intestine, did the dr suggest using something other than gummies? That is what we give here.... Maybe should rethink that.
03-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Jenn

Alex takes Centrum kids chewables multivitamin, it's a more complete multi than any gummies I can find. I have him on a taffy-like chewable calcium/Vit-D. I haven't found a fish oil one to do.
other: Centrum chewable multi; calcium-vitD;
Derma-Smoothe for psoriasis rashes; Alrex, Zaditor eye drops for vernal conjunctivitis; history of asthma, ear infections