Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Anyone on imuran & remicade for fistulas?

03-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
dgg

My Support Groups:
Anyone on imuran & remicade for fistulas?

Hi,
I've been suffering from a horseshoe fistula for almost 3 years now and nothing seems to work for it. Had multiple surgeries and have 3 draining setons and have been on remicade at 5 ml every 8 weeks for 2 years now. It seems like the remicade isn't as effective as it used to be and I went to head of GI at a major research center who wants me to be much more aggressive w my treatment now. She wants me on remicade every 4 weeks at 10 ml and to start imuran. My regular GI said he's never had any of his patients on this combination so I'm nervous about this. The plan is to try and close the fistula or at least make it smaller so I can try a plug procedure.
I'm a 36 year old woman and the new doctor prescribing imuran told me that the cancer risk (for Lymphoma) with this 2 drugs together was seen mostly on older men and that in her experience she didn't seem too concerned. I am still nervous. Is anyone on this combo for a fistula? Any advice? Thanks!
03-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I've never taken either so I'll bump your thread in hopes that someone else may be of some help.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

No experience here either but perhaps you could also ask your question in the Fistula, Fissure and Abscess Forum.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
03-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Hi dgg and welcome :-) I have been on the Aza/Remi combo, briefly. I had an internal abscess and fistula. The fistula closed on antibiotics eventually ( Cipro and Metradinazole ) and they also managed to shrink the abscess. I'd been on Aza for 2 months when I went in to hospital fora pre-op assessment to deal with the persistant inflammation, but they decided to try Remi first and after three infusions, it has worked!
I know the med regime is pretty scary, but for me, so were the symptoms of the Crohn's + complications and Remi has a good success rate with external fistulae.
Like Dusty says, pop over to our forum. There are others with similar issues to yourself and you'll be most welcome.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
dgg

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update! I will post on the other thread to see if I get more responses. I really appreciate it. Happy you're doing so well!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Anyone on imuran & remicade for fistulas?