• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've got crohn's, can I give it back please?

I was diagnosed last summer with crohn's colitis following a referral to a GI and a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I had been admitted to hospital earlier in the year and after testing for a huge range of illnesses was told it was probably a one off. Everyone told me a diagnosis was good but it was a case of "thanks but can I have something you can cure with a tablet?". Anyway, after reading a lot about the disease, I was hoping I would be one of the lucky few who lived without any problems (MAJOR denial).

My crohn's was flaring slightly when I had my first GI appointment and was put on azathioprine. After a couple of weeks I started to feel smug because I had no side effects and thought I was in the clear and then I started to throw up big time, developed skin nodules, sore eyes, fever. To cut a long story short, I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with a big flare on IV steriods, plus a diagnosis of pyoderma gangrenosum (yay, another autoimmune disease!). My small intestine was very inflamed - gave the kids a laugh as lying down on the bed I looked like one of those poor whales which had landed on a beach by mistake!

Now out of hospital, I am on prednisolone (have every side effect known to man) and mercaptopurine (no throwing up from this) and back at home trying to get back to normality with my husband and children and hoping to get back to work soon.

The next step is to hope the steroids sort out the inflammation and the mercaptopurine starts to kick in. My GI appointment is in 3 weeks when I will find out the small bowel MRI scan results and pray he doesn't start talking about surgery. I think I haven't quite got rid of that denial yet?

It's good to write this all down to offload on a forum where people have a shared interest as I think I am at risk of boring my friends and family even though it feels like the centre of my world at the moment. When someone asks me how I am feeling I think I can't keep telling them the truth as it sounds really miserable and they expect me to say I am getting better at some point.

To finish on a happy note, I love this joke one poster has on their profile:
My bum is broken - it has a big crack in it :blush:

Welcome Scoob you have come to the right place. Here you can find tons of advise, hundrends of shoulders to cry on, all kinds of jokes and many many men and women who are, or have been where you are. Jump right in and start reading/posting.

You have no idea how many times I asked my doctor "Can I give crohns back and get my money back?" Nope I cant, booo to Crohns.

Again welcome

Hi and welcome Scoobie
It lovely to have you here with us, we will never tire of your worries, chats or jokes, so post as much as you like and when you like as we are everywhere hahaha and there is always someone online. I pray your meds will kick in soon and give you a rest, life can be back to normal or as close as you can get it. Never give up on meds and keep researching until you find something that works or a combo of meds to work and very importantly keep your family and friends informed as it can help you as well as them understand that there are times you just need to slow down and rest, never feel guilty for trying to make yourself better.
PS if you find out the address to send back crohns can you let me know.
Gwen xxx

Welcome Scoobie! I'm new to the forum, as well. My 10 year old was diagnosed last month with Crohn's. It sucks! I told my husband yesterday that I want a do-over. I have to keep reminding myself that it could be worse!

Take care of yourself and remember you are not alone. We are here for you!

Glad to have you here, Scoob! Fairly new to the forum myself, but not to Crohn's. 24 years with it. Wish we had all been in the computer age back then, but still glad for it now.

Welcome, Scoob!

With this disease, a sense of humor is a must.

Make sure you get the blood tests for mercaptopurine. I was on it for six months, doing fine. I went in for my 3rd blood test and my liver enzymes and kidneys were NOT happy, so they immediately discontinued it. The last blood test showed some improvement, but the kidneys and liver are both working under 50%.

It is very important you stay on top of things because, as you know, it's a powerful drug.

Angrybird

Hello Scoobie and :welcome: Really glad you have decided to join us, there is a lot of info and advice here from a great bunch of people.

I hope the new med does the job so you can start to feel better really soon.

xxx