• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi I'm new! 22year old with Colitis.

Hey guys I'm new here, just wanted to introduce myself! I recently joined the Colitis UK website and realised its bloody great getting to chat to people with IBD that understand what I'm going through so thought I'd join on here too :)

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis back in 2003 after suffering for about 6 months with diarrea, pain & blood. I was 14 at the time (I'm 22 now) so it was very scary for me as I had never heard of IBD before! Admittedly over the years I have been AWFUL with my meds. Going through periods of being really good with them then going months/years without taking anything. Because of this I have essentially been in a constant flare (with the odd good day/week here and there) until this year!
I had an awful flare at Christmas time 2011, had to take a trip to hospital as I was on the loo every 20mins in excruciating pain (bum & stomach) bleeding/mucus and intense nausea everytime I had a BM :(

I was in so much pain I literally wanted to rip the bugger out! Fortunately I responded well to Pred within a few days (40mg) and am still tapering slowly. I cant seem to get below 12.5mg at the mo without flaring!!

I was also on 4.8g Asacol daily - which I have stopped as I don't think it did anything! Also Azathioprine 150mg but was getting nauseous and flu like symptoms from it so have recently stopped that too and have just started 6-MP (literally 2 days ago!)

I have also tried pentasa, clipper and some other drugs I can't remember since diagnosis - which did not work!

I also have suffered with severe depression which I think began from being on a high dose of pred a few years ago. I was on 40mg prozac for about a year and a half for depression which really helped, but since being on Pred again I feel like I am slowly starting to go mental again! Damn mood swings! I also was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (M.E) last year but I have changed jobs/lifestyle/meds etc all in the last 7 months and since doing so feel as if the CFS has just disappeared! Which is fantastic!

I work full time as an office receptionist/ administrator in Reading. I LOVE music. Especially electronic music and bands and frequently go to gigs/festivals all over the country and am going to Hideout festival in Croatia this year! (EXCITED!) :dance: I don't follow any special diets at the mo but just try to eat relativly healthily. I drink alcohol on occasion too. But not all the time...

Anyways I've blabbed on for ages! Hehe. Nice to meet you all and look forward to chatting with you!

Steph

Welcome to the forum Steph.
You will find many like minded people here. Hope you haveing a good day today. Music is the food of life and just like food i cant get enough >

Astra

Hiya Steph
and welcome

It's fab to have you here with us!
Lotsa Crohnie friends for you.
Enjoy! Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Steph and welcome :) I'm really glad you joined.

That you've been in a near constant flare for so long makes me sad. Have they brought up the idea of trying another med? Maybe a biologic?

See you around the forum!

Nice to meet you all! Thanks for all your replies! :)

David - The constant flare was my fault really. I hadn't come to terms with colitis at all and didn't really understand it, I didn't think that medication would help me (because several meds that I did try didn't help!) so just tried to carry on as I was before Colitis - Unsuccessfully of course, as I was in pain on the loo & bleeding 20+ times a day! It was really awful but now I've seen that meds can help me and now my BM count is down by a lot I just wanna focus on getting better! I've just started 6-MP as I am steroid dependant , I'm on my 4th day and feeling really run down!
Sorry what is a Biologic?

Also I notice in your sig you have Lymphocytic Colitis - what is that?

Steph

David

Co-Founder
Hi Steph,

Biologics are a class of drugs that, in part, include Remicade and Humira. A lot of people with UC have done especially well on Remicade. It's expensive and not without risk, but that you have never not been flaring made me think maybe something stronger was in order.

Lymphocytic Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease that is microscopic in nature, meaning it can only be seen and diagnosed by intestinal biopsy. The most common symptoms are chronic diarrhea and abdominal pain.