Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » How many of you know your Crohn's Disease Activity Index (CDAI)

View Poll Results: Has your CDAI ever come up in discussion with your Gastroenterologist
Yes, CDAI has been mentioned 10 7.19%
No, I've never heard of it before 129 92.81%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

11-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #31
Catherine

My Support Groups:
I think maybe I hate this index, Sarah is now 33, maybe not responsive to aza and maybe developing a fissure and at this stage doesnot qualify for biologics?.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
11-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #32
stefan

I think maybe I hate this index, Sarah is now 33, maybe not responsive to aza and maybe developing a fissure and at this stage doesnot qualify for biologics?.
Actually, if she is under 18, Medicare use the PCDAI for paediatric patients, which is a totally different scale, and a much more thorough assessment than the regular CDAI discussed here. We hope to have a calculator for the PCDAI on our site early next year, but for now, you can at least see the paper form at the bottom of http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...gs1/crohns.jsp - I haven't had a chance to check if any of the online calculators for this are valid, but for Medicare you want to have a score of 30 or more to start treatment with the TNFα drugs.

- Stefan
the guy who wrote the interactive CDAI calculator at http://www.ibdsupport.org.au/cdai-calculator
11-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #33
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Catherine,

This is the Medicare application form for Remicade for 6-17 year olds.

It states that the CDAI number is equal to or greater than 30, so Sarah's CDAI is high enough.

Dusty.
11-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #34
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Sorry Stefan, didn't see you had posted.
11-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #35
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Thank Stefan, she is 17. Will test out the calculator. Sorry in a funny mood, just got a sms from the gi that her mri is odd and needs to be discussed with radiologist?
11-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #36
stefan

Hey Catherine,
It states that the CDAI number is equal to or greater than 30, so Sarah's CDAI is high enough.
Not necessarily true, I assume Catherine posted a CDAI result of 33, which has no correlation to the PCDAI which is referenced by Medicare for paediatrics.
11-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #37
Catherine

My Support Groups:
PCDAI score 7.5
11-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #38
Gra

My Support Groups:
Bump for more responses. We have a couple wonderful doctors watching this thread who are hoping to hold a clinical trial and are very interested in whether CDAI should be used or not.

Those of you who DO know your CDAI, if you'd be willing to respond stating what country you're in, that would be helpful as well. If you're not comfortable doing so, that's quite ok
I dont know my CDAI, or how to calculate it - but interested in the study if someone can give me the information.
SURGERY: 6 Aug 2013: Ileostomy, Temporary stoma.
29 Oct 2013: takedown.
23 Jan 2015: in remission - my goal is to stay there.

"What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!"
11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #39
Gra

My Support Groups:
I dont know my CDAI, or how to calculate it - but interested in the study if someone can give me the information.
Since above, have found CDAI calculator online, at:
http://www.ibdjohn.com/cdai/
11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #40
traci0531

My Support Groups:
My dr just did this at my appt last week. He said I was right around 90
11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #41
stefan

I just realised i didn't actually answer the initial question, so since being in drug induced remission I've had CDAI scores of about 70-110 as expected. However at my worst, which was luckily when I was relying on a high CDAI score to get access to the TNF drugs under Australia's Medicare system, I scored about 450, largely due to maximum points for well-being as I was stuck in hospital on hydrocort, and that despite being someone that typically suffers from C, I genuinely had bad D for some reason during that admission too, possibly a medication issue,

So, I have no real problem with the CDAI as one of the many diagnostic tools used to judge illness, preferably alongside IBDQ and others, but due to in particular the reliance on D instead of C, and the subjectivity of the well-being section, I do not believe it should be used as the sole scale to judge illness severity, for a clinical trial or otherwise.

There's at least one promising study taking place at the moment to create a more extensive disability assessment for IBD intended to address these concenrs, and I saw a paper being presented assessing this just last month, I'll try and remember to post it here once it's published.

11-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #42
lowone

My Support Groups:
I haven't heard of this but it is very interesting! It would have been nice to know about it to keep it in a daily log (along with my weight and temp)

102 today, from what I remember 1214.3 at the worst... (Using idbjohn link) amazing what going to the bathroom 3 times a hour * 1week does for that score!

Neat to see something that provides quantification!!

Last edited by lowone; 12-05-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: missed a 1
03-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
JennyT

My Support Groups:
WIKIPEDIA: I had to look it up! .... The Crohn's Disease Activity Index or CDAI is a research tool used to quantify the symptoms of patients with Crohn's disease. This is of importance in research studies done on medications used to treat Crohn's disease; most major studies on newer medications use the CDAI in order to define response or remission of disease. As Crohn's disease is a disease with a variety of symptoms that affect quality of life, the quantification of symptoms may be of secondary importance to a quantitative assessment of the effect on quality of life. This has been addressed by the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Questionnaire (IBDQ) and other indices of quality of life for patients with Crohn's disease

Just completed the CDAI online and scored 253 without the blood results - just sittin here on Axa surviving day to day up and down with noone seeming to be worried about me. Is 253+ good or bad???
Allergies to most painkillers
OTHER MEDS
Cilazapril
Parotatine
Metapropol
Pyridoxine
Asprin
Levothyroxine
Gliclazide
Metformin
Amiodipine besylate
and yes I rattle!

Last edited by JennyT; 03-08-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: More info
03-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #44
T.A.R.D.I.S.girl

My Support Groups:
According to that calculator I'm a 521. Still don't understand what that means tho!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » How many of you know your Crohn's Disease Activity Index (CDAI)