• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Homeostatic Soil Organisms as Effective for Treatment?

I have been reading this book written by a man who has Chrons and recommends HSO's (Homeostatic Soil Organisms) which are a probiotic. They are different from the traditional probiotic. It sounds very promising as it cleans out waste stuck along your inner linings and gives you more energy.

I did a little research online but I see the author of the book Jordan Rubin is the one who sells one of these products online. Every research article seems linked to him as well. I don't want to waste my money or take another pill so I am playing skeptic. Does anyone know anything about this or have experience with HSO's? Can anyone recommend a good brand?

I don't trust much what comes out of Jordin Rubin's mouth. I went to his doctor which he is based right out of where I live and it was just an infomercial session. It was terrible. But saying that probiotics do seem to work for some people. It's also always good to take them while on anti-biotics as it gives your system good bacteria when finally off of the anti-biotics.

I do like Jordin Rubin's product Primal Defense and use it when I use probiotics but I don't see that it helps me much. I was reading somewhere that taking individual probiotics, such as acidopholus(sp.), is better than taking multi forms.

Jeff thanks for your reply the way Jordan Rubin talks about these and his product make it sound like a god send. I am pretty sold on wanting to try them out. The benefits sound so wonderful, probably a load of crap.

I thought primal defense had the HSO's and probiotics in them?

Probiotics and HSO's are pretty much the same thing. They are both bacteria that is good for our intestines. They are great but it won't get rid of all of your symptoms. I noticed that I wasn't as gassy but that's about it. It also takes about a week up to two or three weeks to feel the benefits from it. During this period you may actually feel worse with more gas and more D as you are now having a fight in your intestines between bacterias.

Q

quick

I agree probiotics are good for balancing our digestive systems and is very important especially when coming off or taking antibiotics.

I took the HSO Probiotics (Primal Defense) for a full treatment course. I took it exactly as directed, you start out with one pill a day and then next day you take two until you reach a certain level and then maintain that for a few months.

I even quit smoking to give it every chance to work, ate very well etc... and it not do anything for my Crohn's. I was extremely disappointed after taking this with the time and money spent, and was one of the first alternative things I tried for my Crohn's...

Just a side note for what it's worth other things i tried that did not work:

Whipworm eggs (cost me over $5000 for 6+months imported it from Germany no results or even slight effect from it whatsoever)

Probiotics (all kinds with no effect)

Pig duodenum powder (no effect)

Bovine Colostrum, accupuncture w/ chinese herb supplements, MSM, FSO, etc, many many more...

One substance I found that provided a moderate effect on inflammation was some thing called Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), which is a liquid used as an industrial solvent actually. You put it on your skin (carefully) and it absorbs into your skin into your blood/system and has a decent anti-inflammatory effect, which I've used on and off but it is not a practical treatment for crohn's and while it has no real side effects it makes you smell like garlic for a while after taking it :/