• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My doctor doesn't take me seriously?!

So I just got back from my gi, and was excited to finally get put on meds for my recent crohns diagnosis. I came into the office with a fever of 101.3 and blood pressure of 110/60.. He didn't have much to say, ignored that just Sunday I was throwing up bile and having 8 bowel movements. He said must have been food poisoning ..... I was just sitting there thinking doesn't this have to do with crohns.... He prescribed Bentyl 10mg as needed and said to come back in 3 months and if I was wasn't better then I would start a " capsule study" .
I am so discouraged and frustrated!!

You need a new doc. One that understands and listens to you. I ran a fever for the first six months after my diagnosis--I ended up in the hospital with sepsis and could have lost my life. I should have been on antibiotics. If that fever doesn't come down, you need to get help elsewhere. Are there other GIs near you?

Wow I'm glad your okay now! I'm going to do some research, I just want to be taken seriously and more importantly ... Relief

It's really important you get on the right medications. I have learned things the hard way. If you have a fever, take it seriously. There is something wrong. If you're aspirin sensitive--don't take Lialda. Make sure you get your blood test if you go on Immuran. They had moved me from once a month to every three months, and whammo, the drug attacked my kidneys and liver. I'm on Humira and am lovin' it. I can eat french fries now.:dance:

Angrybird

Hi Lindz, I agree about getting to a new GI. With this disease you need to feel that your doc is taking you seriously and will offer a proper treatment plan. Hope you can get to see someone new quickly hun.

AB
xx

You might also try voicing your concerns to your current doc in the meantime. People aren't usually bad at their jobs on purpose, and his response will tell you whether or not he cares enough to pay more attention.
I had a similar problem with my GI and went to someone else, who ended up being worse.. I then went back to my original doc and he seems to have gotten the hint :)

It seems to me that these doctors don't realize that during those 3 months in between appointments you are still suffering tremendously from the issues that haven't been resolved. So frustrating..!!

Ducey99, I got the vibe that he thinking I'm being dramatic and that Im so young. I told him about my severe joint pain..he said well its probably arthritis.. Well I'm 21, he was in a hurry, and just wanted me out of there

Well, I will say that, in the first year of my diagnosis, my Crohn's was in an almost constant fury, and I experienced arthritis symptoms in my knees and ankles every single day for months. I was told it just tends to come along with having Crohn's. It never did that again during a flare, so my first could have been my worst, had it for almost a year before I found a GI.

But your doc still should talk to you more after he LISTENS to you....not acceptable any other way. I was thinking that I knew a good GI near you, but I was thinking wrong, he is in GA, Decatur.