• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Menstruation and Crohns

Everytime I get my period I always seem to flare up. My symptoms are the worst when I am menstruating. Does this happen to anyone else?? :shifty:

Thanks,

Michelle

Yes! Think of it as major inflammation in ovaries when you have menstral cycle. That can then trigger bowel to get swollen; thus causing your symptoms. I found Bikram Yoga, if done week before period, will alleviate a great amount of inflammation, pain and other symptoms. May want to try it!

I have the same thing. The only thing I found to do is take walks, it hurts in the beginning but it gets better afterward. After a walk a hot shower and a great nap does wonders for me.

Hope it might help.
Linsey

Yes, as if one or the other isnt bad enough!
Nothing like having both at the same time.
It was much nicer when I used BC pills, less CD
symptoms!!

It is believed that the hormonal changes, an increase in progesterone and prostaglandin levels, can influence Crohns activity, but no-one is really certain why it happens - only that it does.
(The ovaries do not get ''inflamed" during menstruation - a wild notion only.)
Evening Primrose oil is reported to help with symptoms.

This happens to me as well that was why I was referred to a gynecologist when I first started having pains as the pains were worse during that time of month, 6 years later the gynecologist smartly referred me to my now gastroenterologist after failing to find a cause.

I think this is common in alot of women. I get horribly inflammed down there when I get my period. I also get way worse abdominal pain and intestinal issues. My gyne said this is also linked to endometriosis, something I likely have my gyne said, so I get it real bad. I do know that alot of women normally will notice bowel issues when they get theor period. I think because everything is so close together down there maybe.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes! Think of it as major inflammation in ovaries when you have menstral cycle. That can then trigger bowel to get swollen; thus causing your symptoms. I found Bikram Yoga, if done week before period, will alleviate a great amount of inflammation, pain and other symptoms. May want to try it!
In response to mickey:

"The ovaries, where a woman’s eggs are produced, have tiny fluid-filled sacs called follicles or cysts. As the egg grows, the follicle builds up fluid. When the egg matures, the follicle breaks open, the egg is released, and the egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus (womb) for fertilization. This is called ovulation." http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm

You're thinking of ovulation when there is minimal swelling where an egg comes to maturity and is released. After that the swelling is gone and does not take place during your menstrual cycle where your uterine lining is being shed. If you do have swelling in your ovaries during your menstrual cycle or any other time other than ovulation, then you're likely to have one of a large list of medical conditions.

Astra

Diarrhea during menses is very common in all women with or without an IBD.
And it's all down to prostaglandins, a chemical released during your period that allows the uterus, and also the intestines, to contract.
And, the horrible cramps during your period, (dysmenorrhea)
And the cure?
Why NSAIDS of course!! Cos these reduce the over production of prostagladins.
But...we can't have them so damned if you do, damned if you don't!
I found that Imodium 2 days before my period helped with D and staying away from caffeine.
(back in the day before my hysterectomy)

Chrismac

Best of British
I'm really bad - I always take ibuprofen during my period. I figure if my gut is already irritated then it won't matter making it a bit more so. If it gets rid of my cramps then great!

I do get more diarrhoea during my period but I don't think it's because of Crohn's, I guess I'm one of the lucky few who don't flare as much. But then I get pretty bad period pains so maybe if I do flare I never notice.... that's a first!

You are no worse than me, Chris, I take excedrin (the generic Walmart one) for any pain, headache, back ache, menstrual back aches. It's the only thing that works for me...it's aspirin, tylenol and caffiene for ingredients.

Chrismac

Best of British
Sometimes you just have to. I take paracetamol all the time (I think that's tylenol?) but ibuprofen I tell myself it's just for migraines and period pains. Sometimes you have to get rid of pain and screw the consequences!

Agreed! I can't work all day at the bank with a bad headache, the customers and it would clash, lol! I do notice if I take it too much or for too many days, I will feel the gastritis, my stomach acid increasing.
:pillowfight:

Chrismac

Best of British
Wouldn't it be great it our bodies could function without stomach acid? What a beautiful world that would be.

I used to notice the same Michelle. For a long time now, I don't get regular periods, and I had the arm implant a year or so ago, but am thinking of asking my GP to remove it. I get a menstrual period lasting weeks, then not at all for months?!?! And my symptoms are irregular enough as is, so I'm thinking the added constant hormones, are probably not a good thing for the crohns.
I take ibuprofen as well. I don't think it makes my crohns worse, and it works better then paracetimol on headaches/tooth aches ect.
Do you take the pill? I know they say us crohnies can't absorb it fully, but it may regulate things a bit, and for many it reduces the inflammation.
I was just reading on a candida sight, that for ibs, cold water is best- any inflammation for that matter. I love my hot showers and heat on my back when I'm unwell too, but apparently cold water, and skin brushing, helps blood flow and healing to the are affected/inflamed. So after a shower, cold water (as cold as you can), and rubbing the stomach with a face washer ect. They say up to 4-7 times a day when symptoms are worst. I Havnt tried it yet, but I guess cold relieving inflammation does make sence, and promoting blood flow and healing.
Hope it helps, best wishes. xoxo

I'm still in a flare and yes my period makes it worse especially since I've had MENNORHAGIA since I was 12. It started when I was 12 (not the crohns, the heavy bleeding Extreme pain etc)..I was literally bleeding all over the floor of the emergency room and at home etc. They found out I had menorrhagia. I've been taking birth control to control it and now no more pain! Been on those pills only 3 years so far and I'm turning 24! Before I got on the pill my pain would be so bad I'd get nauseated, dizzy, and wasn't able to go anywhere especially since it was normal to go through up to 4 pads in one hour! 90 pads or more per period lasting 2 weeks! You can imagine what crohns does to me now that I was diagnosed with crohns last year!

Yes I bled so much it would overflow the pad within minutes! This was extreme though! Walking, moving, sitting it didn't matter.

In response to mickey:

"The ovaries, where a woman’s eggs are produced, have tiny fluid-filled sacs called follicles or cysts. As the egg grows, the follicle builds up fluid. When the egg matures, the follicle breaks open, the egg is released, and the egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus (womb) for fertilization. This is called ovulation." http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm

You're thinking of ovulation when there is minimal swelling where an egg comes to maturity and is released. After that the swelling is gone and does not take place during your menstrual cycle where your uterine lining is being shed. If you do have swelling in your ovaries during your menstrual cycle or any other time other than ovulation, then you're likely to have one of a large list of medical conditions.
I certainly understand the process, but that does not mean some people do not get swelling at the time before or during their period. The two days prior it looks like I have a small golf ball on one side or the other and then once the bowel triggers, the period begins. Now there has been an endometriosis problem as well, so perhaps that is what also triggers, but the doc was the one who gave me the above explanation when I was trying to understand how these issues were triggered around that time of the month.

yes, this happens to me too. D 6 days prior to starting and followed up with 3 days of constipation. Once I start it's 2 days of terrible D.

Everytime I get my period I always seem to flare up. My symptoms are the worst when I am menstruating. Does this happen to anyone else?? :shifty:

Thanks,

Michelle
YES YES PICK ME!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhhh I always flare up as well as on top of my CHRONIC cramps I just feel like I want someone to put me to sleep!! :'(