• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are you overly nice by supressing your anger?

How do you deal with anger?

• I don't usually express anger or disagreement. I try to act "good/nice" to get along with others.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • I erupt in fits of uncontrolled rage.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I don't bottle up anger. I express myself healthily. I'm open/assertive in voicing disagreements.

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
If things bothered me, with those closest I'd express my opinion, without swearing and yelling. Those not close, I'd still be nice, and just think, oh well, and chat to my sister about it or a friend.
Since being on prednisone, that's changed. I CAN'T bottle anything up. Every emotion I have, I speak about, and if I get 'angry' I can't not say what I think. I normally hate full on arguing, but lately, I just say how I feel.

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
I bottle it up for months then have a random outburst of anger and then let it all out in a day then go bottle everything up again.. and so on.

I can let my kids know when I am upset with how they are acting, etc. But no, normally I am not good at letting someone know when I am angry.

I was born without an "inside voice" lol. Pretty much whatever I think comes out of my mouth. I try not to be mean or inappropriate, but I also don't beat around the bush. Exceedingly direct. It puts passive-aggressive people off, but most everybody else (husband and sons) are glad they don't have to try to figure out what I mean or what's bothering me.

I'm a bottler. And when I explode, you better watch out! Though I am trying to express myself better, but at work it's hard because people dismiss me so easily.

Astra

At work and during times of severe bollockings I use reverse psychology!
I say, 'Oh God you're soooooo right, I never thought of that, how can you help me, what do you advise for next time'
and so on (crawly stuff)
they back their defences down, my anger has been supressed, their anger has gone.
I come away the good guy and all's well!
I never bottle anything up, I didn't get where I am today by doing that.
And I can sense when someone is a bottler and manage to weedle it outa them, (just cos I'm nosy too!!)
It's good to talk!

Chrismac

Best of British
If it's personal I will bottle it, but if my sense of justice (which is high) is attacked and I see something as unfair I will speak up.

As a kid I was a bottler, I'm getting much better though.

Ok so for everyones sake I actualy practice staying calm . I find it helps suppress the rip your head off feelings and helps me stay in control when im having a bad day . Then again sometimes I have to tell it like it is. But always in the nicest possible way .

I wish letting people know when I am hurt or mad was easier for me to do. I hate confrontation, so I might say a little something, but if it goes without notice, the feelings get bottled.

Angrybird

Lets just say I am not called 'angrybird' and 'sweary mary' for nothing :biggrin: I suppose I am just passionate about getting my point across or showing how I feel about wrongdoing. My angry moments are short though because I let it out straight away so it doesn't fester into something bigger. I always try to make sure I watch the language when at work though as I work in a dept with phone lines open to the general public.....

Chrismac

Best of British
I wish letting people know when I am hurt or mad was easier for me to do. I hate confrontation, so I might say a little something, but if it goes without notice, the feelings get bottled.
Ugh. I know exactly what you mean. I am just the same. I'll do the silent thing, or be short with someone and if they don't notice I'll bottle it. I don't hold on to it for long, but I wish was better at saying something.