Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » How long before you get to be "functional" after surgery?

03-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
How long before you get to be "functional" after surgery?

Hello,
So it is sure now, I will be getting surgery in about a month from now...
Even though I currently have an ileostomy (which means I went through all that already), I can't remember how long it was till I felt better because this was like 13 years ago and I was in a wayyyyy worst condition than I am right now. So I guess this is a good thing. Despise that, I am trying to figure out approximately when can I expect to go back to my activities after surgery? How long till you feel good enough to focus on school work let say (I could take a class this summer, but I don't know when to expect feeling good enough to read and assimilate notions again? I don't if I should even try to take a class at all) I also have a job that will be "waiting" for me, portions of which should be computer tasks other part that involves samples inventory (of rocks :S) which will be too heavy to be lifted before a while I doubt.

So yeah, for those of you who recently got an open surgery, how many weeks was it before you felt quite comfortable to do more than recover.
I know we are all different but I just want to ease my mind about the subject by knowing what you went through regarding this.

Thank you
~J~

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
ksiwek81

I will be 8 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I still don't feel like I have it all together yet. I'm in the same boat as you and anxious to return to school and work. My surgery was pretty extensive though. I had two abdominal abcesses caused from mesh, too many fistula's to elaborate on, ten inches of small bowel removed, and then my ostomy was relocated to the other side of my abdomen. Keep in mind, that after surgery it takes time to get regulated again (bowel wise). As for lifting things, that is out of the question unless you want a hernia. Hernia revisions are not a walk in the park either. I have been thinking about summer classes as well, but have come to the realization that it will only happen if I do them online for now. The longer you sit out the better. If you jump back into things too quickly like I did, you will end up right back in the hospital. I'm not one to just sit around. I like to be out and about doing things. However, I pay for it later. Everyone is different in how long it takes them to bounce back. I would at least give yourself six weeks. You will feel like you are ready to get back to buisness before then, but just take it easy. It will pay off in the end, I promise. I wish you luck and hope things go smoothly for you.
03-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

The real turn around for Matt both physically and psychologically was the beginning of week four post op. It was at this time that he was able to move freely and what I mean by that is he was able to get up out chairs, cough, sneeze etc without having to guard himself.

He went back to school about 3 weeks post op and didn't have any issues with concentration but he was on a reduced workload. He chose this at the outset of the year but this was because he had complications for a few months pre op.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
03-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
elizamt

It probably also depends on how far you're willing to push yourself. My surgery took about 12 inches and they had to cut me open more than they anticipated (2 inch incision rather than laparoscopic). I didn't want to lose my summer vacation, so I was basically off my pain meds a week after surgery, and fully off lifting/working out restrictions after about a month. I jumped right into boxing classes, including lifting 100 pound tires, and was perfectly fine. I think pushing yourself, but listening to your body and knowing when to stop pushing, is the best way to get back to 100% as quickly as possible!

Dx: May 2011
Surgery: Ileocecal resection May 2011 (~13 in)
Meds: 500mg Pentasa 4x/day
B12 Injections 1x/month
Iron 45 mg for Anemia
Vitamin D 1000 mcg
Thinking about starting Remicade or Humira
04-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Dr.Who

Hello,
So it is sure now, I will be getting surgery in about a month from now...

why are you getting the surgery?

Last edited by Dr.Who; 04-03-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » How long before you get to be "functional" after surgery?