Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Emergencyquestion

04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Crohn'sGirl

emergencyquestion

Hey guys got some trouble here. I've been having a lot of pain from my stoma.allow me to explain the way it happens. I will be sitting or standing and I can feel the stool start pushing through and I get this sharp pain as I feel the stool coming out of the stoma. It is a sharp pain and goes away in a few seconds. I'm not sure if I should go to the hospital. Please give me some sort of advice!

Diagnosed in 2010 with Crohn's Disease

Had ilestomy 10/31/2011 and learning to take one day at a time.
04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Jeff D.

My usual advice is if you believe you should go to the ER then go. I have had this happen on occasion but it has never lasted very long and usually occurs when I eat something I shouldn't or if I do not chew enough. I hope you feel better soon.
04-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I usually have pain when I have stool coming out, but mine are very formed, hard, and well quite large...so I don't worry about it too much. It's just the way it is for me. And it's certainly not sharp pain, more like "Oh, I have to poop" pain. It's hard to describe. But I'm with Jeff, if you've already thought you need to go to the hospital, maybe you should. It would at least give you peace of mind.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
tots

My Support Groups:
If you are having pain you are not used to you should go the ER. With Crohns its better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!
04-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I had that when I had eaten lots of sweet corn! I woke up with bad stomach cramps which didn't go away. Then I got a sharp pain in my stoma and suddenly my bag was full of sweetcorn!!

Let us know what happened!

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
glum chump

My Support Groups:
I've had similar experience, and I grab a hot water bottle, put it against my abdomen and lie on my side with my knees facing up. I also massage my tummy to try to get food moving and drinking lots of water.

And I agree with the others---if you feel you need to be in Emerg, then you need to be there!

Hope things improve quick for you,

Kismet
04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
How are you feeling now? Is this a sudden thing? Or has it been happening off and on?

The nerves on the stoma are cut, so clearly its deeper in. If you have a kink or something, you need the ER. If its something you've eaten...well, we know it will pass.

Please let us know how you are doing!!??
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Jeff D.

Hi Crohn'sGirl,

How are you doing now? I've been praying for you. Take care

Jeff
04-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
lotte26

Yes, I had that when I had eaten lots of sweet corn! I woke up with bad stomach cramps which didn't go away. Then I got a sharp pain in my stoma and suddenly my bag was full of sweetcorn!!

Let us know what happened!
Haha misty I bet it wasn't so sweet when it came out tho!

-Charlotte

Crohn's disease since 2002, with multiple fistulae

25 May '11 : colostomy formed, 70cm bowel removed + 50cm ileum removed.

16 October 2015 - open parastomal hernia surgery to be performed

Past Failed Meds: Pentasa, azathioprine, methotrexate, Humira.

Current Meds: Humira, azathioprine, fluoxetine, Brevinor, Fish oil, melatonin
04-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Crohn'sGirl

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the advice and prayers. I ended up going to the ER and they did a CT scan which showed no blockage. I got pain meds and the next day felt ok. I had eaten sesame seeds twice the past two days before that and I think that's what happened. I just relaxed more with the pain meds as we all know and slowly went away. The stoma looked a little swollen that night but its looked better since then. Learned my lesson on not eating sesame seeds again!
04-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Haha misty I bet it wasn't so sweet when it came out tho!
Lol I didn't try and eat it the second time around! Haha Ewww. Good to see you back though! How are you doing?
04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad you got it sorted, Crohnsgirl. We learn by these mistakes! It probably shifted itself the time you got the ER. If it happens again, putting on a bag with a larger hole than usual helps the stoma expand to let it out.
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
maria
I love you God.

This happens to me When I eat coconut. I think it might be skin around the stoma thats sensitive getting stretched out from stoma pushing it. Glad you got it fixed.

I want to find a friend here in vancouver, washington with a stoma... I feel lonely.
Trying to stay gluten free.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Emergencyquestion