• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A moan to people who get it!

Having moaned at my wonderful husband for years now, I came across this forum and thought it would be a great idea to join to moan with people who actually get what I am feeling. Was diagnosed in Sept '03, having had symptoms when I was young that went undiagnosed but then in and out of hospital since the Jun '03 (and being told by an out of hours doc that I was complaining too much and just had a touch of colic), when I was told by docs that they needed to just open me up and have a look, when I had resection of small bowel. Been in remission since (just over 8 years) but just before Christmas gone, had horrid symptoms back. 2 courses of pred and they have given me all sorts of side effects (acne rash on chest, 3 cold sores on end of nose, 1 cold sore on eye). I think I can cope okay with the sickness and diarrhoea, it's these other symtpoms / side effects that make me feel rotten!!!

Hi Charlotte & welcome to the site. :welcome:
I am sorry you are having another flare. Perhaps you could get in touch with your GI so he can look into changing dosage or try something else.
The other symptons you have with the sores could be other manifestations of Crohns & not the pred.
Its good that you had 8 years of remission though. I hope that once this flare has passed you can do just as well as before & better.

Sorry to hear your flaring again. When I was on pred, it made me feel awful. Hope you get better soon xxx

Sorry to hear you are flaring! 8 yrs that is awesome, but I bet now that you are flaring again it is a distant memory. I hope you get some relief!

Angrybird

Hello Charlotte and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that after 8 years you are now having problems :( Was it your GI or GP who prescribed the Pred? Have you got a follow up appt sorted so a maintainance medication can be discussed, as you may know the Pred is only to be used in the short term to get the inflammation under control....

I hope that you can be feeling better soon hun.

AB
xx

Hello Charlotte and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that after 8 years you are now having problems :( Was it your GI or GP who prescribed the Pred? Have you got a follow up appt sorted so a maintainance medication can be discussed, as you may know the Pred is only to be used in the short term to get the inflammation under control....

I hope that you can be feeling better soon hun.

AB
xx
AB, maybe it's because I was diagnosed so long ago, but for the first 10 years at least of my diagnosis, prednisone was not just a short term medicine, it was the medicine I was on almost all of those 10 years, from diagnosis and every time I flared. Sometimes coupled with Flagyl, sometimes alone. Other than the moon face and weight gain, and hot flashes, I did ok on it, and loved the energy I had on it. Alas, I know it has caused other things that are not good, bad on bones and teeth as well as other things.