• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cancelled Appointments!

I called my GI TWO WEEKS AGO to simply ask about getting a B12 shot because I could feel my energy dwindling before exams. They told me he was out of town for a few weeks and I could call my GP and ask them to do it. I was referred to one GP who couldn't see me until May 1st, so I asked friends for a referral to another. I got an appointment for today (4/10) and thought, "okay, I can wait a week and a half. As long as it's before exams, that's what really matters." In the mean time, the original May 1st appointment was canceled and rescheduled for May 7th. I JUST got a call canceling today's appointment and rescheduling for May 2nd. REALLY NOT HELPFUL when I have exams starting in less than a week. So thank you, medical profession, for being royal mother-effing tools!

I see you are taking b12 supplements- what kind and strength are they? There is evidence to suggest that if you take a large enough dose (1-2,000 mg) or use sublingual supplements then your body can absorb the b12, enough to tide you over till your appointments at least.

But yes, cancelled appointments are seriously annoying, especially when they do it at the last minute!

Does it have to be a GP that does them? I get the nurse at my gp's practice to do mine as they always have loads more appointments.

Apparently a doctor has to approve of getting the shots, and since my GI was out of town for two weeks, he couldn't approve. So they told me to get an appointment with the GP, but it was a new doctor, and they wouldn't do it without a full appointment. I take 2000 mg of b12 every day, and that gets me through the typical day's stress. But with exams coming up, I could tell I was starting to fade. An entire class grade rides on one exam... ugh. Luckily, I my mom called my GI's office while I was in class and badgered them into giving me a quick appointment today. They interrupted a colonoscopy to ask my GI if he'd approve it. Thank god, I can already feel the difference.

Thank Goodness you got sorted, my mum needs B12 (nothing to do with Crohns, just needs them) and she really leaves it too long in between shots. Wish she wouldn't as you can really see her struggling. When I was in a flair I was knackered for months and still couldn't get B12 or anything for the exhaustion as they said I didn't need it so I can only imagine your panic when you knew you were due. I have exams next month too and you need all the energy you can get. Best of luck with them.