Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How dangerous is alcohol, really?

06-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #31
Danico85

Im really suprised at the amount of people who dont touch alcohol due to their crohns. Its comendable and i respect anyone who would prefer to stay T-Total.

Im a binge drinker. I dont drink anything during the week then i will have a blow out on a friday or a saturday where i will be out in town then probably back to an after party. Mixing drinks etc.

I find its not great on the bowels but not extremely bad. Alcohol dries the colon so ive found if i keep drinking stool softners (maybe 3 a day) then it keeps things running smoothly. If i forget to take a stool softner then my colon and whatevers in the colon dries up and i end up sitting on the pan all day straining like mad.

People cant drink with crohns and ive found that i can aslong as im stocked up on Laxido
06-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #32
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Ugh fribourg, that's rough!

I've definitely noticed that I'more constipated after drinking, I bet that's why @danico85 What kind of stool softener do you take?
06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
Danico85

Hi Nancye

I take 1 Laxido a day. Its a sachet you pour into a glass of water. Dont take it with food. I usually take it about half 2 every day and it makes things run so much smoother. I have a slight narrowing so i cant pass dry pooh to well without straining and bleeding. When i started on the stool softners it gave me my life back. They work so well for me.

I realised recently that when your drinking, 1 softner isnt enough. You should take one before you go out and 2 the next morning and everything should pass smoothly and sets you up for the day

The 2 ive had are Laxido and Movicol (both are the exact same and are 100% harmless on the gut) and you can take upto 8 a day depending on how constipated you are. But ive never taken more than 3-4
06-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #34
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Wine is the only alcohol I consume and in extreme moderation (3-4 glasses a year).

I drank wine before I developed Crohns. Since I had Crohns, I don't drink any less and never had any reaction.

None of my doctors have ever discouraged consumption of alcohol while I am on Pentasa. I have been on Omeprazole in the past and no restriction of alcohol then either.

One of the things that is perplexing about Crohns is that everyone has different reactions to different foods. I have books on Crohns written by MDs who are experts on the subject and none of them recommended any diet restrictions. You're going to have a reaction to something, and you have to be rigorous about being observant and taking notes.
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Thanks danico85!
09-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #36
fribourg

I am sober for over a week and feeling much worse but I strongly believe it will help in the long run. The alcohol consumption has reached a point where my body was asking to die, better than have another drink. I don't really know how dangerous alcohol is, it all depends on your body and the amount consumed, there isn't any formula or right answer.

In my case, being an alcoholic for a bit over 16 months it is a big NO NO. I strongly advise and pray for everybody reading this post not to ever start drinking to end emotional or physical pain, never, no matter how hard it is. A drink now and then is no worse than eating some food that upsets your guts, but doing what I've done for the past 16 months.. is simply not a way to go.

Everything with moderation or not at all if possible, if it harms your body.

hugs everyone i hope everyone is feeling well.

No meds, no doctors for over 2 years. my only meds have been alcohol and antidepressants which have worsened my overall condition. don't afford an insurance over here, I don't even afford to see a doctor, how bad can it get? I hope the sun will shine !
09-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #37
alex_chris

A beer or a glass of wine, ok. If I drink a lot until I am really drunk, especially beer or hard liquor, I'll risk serious pain and diarrhea.
60cm of smaller intestine removed in 2003
Vitamin therapy with D3, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, folic acid for years
Iron therapy with Tardyferron 80mgx2 and Loesferron 80mg for years
Yoga, running, freeletics on the sport side!
09-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #38
LewisS

My Support Groups:
Another binge drinker here. I can't just 'have a couple'. It can be a problem for me and I'm not sure what the long-term implications are, but I'm sure it's not going to help!

I'd love to go tee-total and I do plan to eventually, especially when the time comes for surgery. But I'm 21 and if I didn't drink, honestly I wouldn't see any of my friends or feel apart of the culture that people my age are apart of.

Humira - Bi-Weekly
6MP

COMPLETE REMISSION ACHIEVED!!!
09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #39
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
I used to think it would actually help, especially if I was constipated. In the year or so before surgery I'd all but given up, mainly because I'd always feel worse in the evening so never felt like it.

But since surgery a couple of months ago I've been drinking again, but sensibly. Doesn't seem to be any problem. I think in the past I've had a tendancy towards binging, but with all this I'm feeling a lot more health conscious now.
09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #40
aideen33

My Support Groups:
I was never much of a drinker. Never more than a couple when out or having friends over kind of thing. I always thought I wasnt supposed to drink on steroids but i could be wrong.
Dx'ed (June '14) Crohn's colitis w/ possible small bowel involvement, Pyloric Stenosis. Asthma, Multiple allergies, pre-diabetic, unexplained tachycardia, hypertension, restless leg, and pos. ANA, waiting for rheum. referral for possible lupus
Meds: Azathioprine, Methyprednisolone, metoprolol ER, Lomotil, Tramadol, Protonix, flexeril, ropinirole, farxiga, vits D, b12, biotin, fish oil, glucosamine
09-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #41
baistuff

My Support Groups:
Alcohol is known to quicken movements in the gut and can also prevent vitamin and mineral absorption.neither of which is good for crohnies.

That being said, a glass of wine here or there usually is fine. Alcohol with steroids is an
Upper gi erosion or bleed just waiting to happe.

I happen to like dry red wines a lot and have a glass a few times a week. No problems with it, but always careful to limit it.

Just one doc's opinion.
09-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #42
guest20
ellazmeanie

My Support Groups:
drank alot in my younger days up until age of 24 in 1991 used to suffer bad hangovers and finally quit after a week of alcohol poisoning ot so long after developed the stomach issues along with cluster headaches even now being investigated for cerebellum problems which gp thinks is due to past alcohol abuse its not wise to drink or smoke on an empty stomach and believe now that alcohol is probably just as bad over the long term as most illegal street dtugs
09-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #43
guest20
ellazmeanie

My Support Groups:
I refuse to touch another drop and prefer a glass of cold carrot juice now
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
alex_chris

Here is a nice (serious?) study carried out by the cheeky Scandinavians in relation to Smirnov Ice, Elephant Beer, pure ethanol and common wine...

Effects of five different alcoholic drinks on patients with Crohn's disease.
Hey H1, Schmedes A, Nielsen AA, Winding P, Grønbaek H.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Many patients with Crohn's disease (CD) complain of abdominal discomfort after alcohol intake. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of ethanol and sugar content in five different alcoholic drinks on abdominal discomfort in patients with CD.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:
In a crossover study, two weeks apart, 12 healthy individuals and 20 patients with CD in remission consumed randomly red wine, white wine, Smirnoff Ice, Elephant Beer and pure ethanol. Blood samples were obtained for determination of serum ethanol and plasma glucose at 0, 30, 60, 90, 120 and 180 min. A self-reported pain symptom score was used.
RESULTS:
There was no difference between CD patients and healthy individuals in the area under the curve (AUC) for the ethanol concentration after intake of the five different drinks. The plasma AUC for glucose in the CD patients after intake of Smirnoff Ice and Elephant beer was significantly increased (p<0.05) in comparison with that in the remaining three alcoholic drinks. Abdominal pain manifestations were significantly more pronounced in CD patients following intake of Smirnoff Ice and Elephant beer, with their higher sugar concentration, compared with intake of the remaining three drinks (p<0.05).
CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows no difference in alcohol absorption between CD patients and controls. The alcoholic drinks Smirnoff Ice and Elephant beer have an increased effect on self-reported abdominal pain in CD patients, probably due to the high sugar content in these drinks.
09-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #45
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
So avoid the sugary drinks. I tend to drink Guinness, red wine or whisky, so I'm okay.
09-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #46
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I rarely drink.I was a big beer drinker before my blockage/resection in 11-13.I can't prove my years of beer drinking brought on my CD,but I feel it at least exacerbated the situation. In close to a year since my resection I have drank 4-5 times.White wine,vodka or single malt in moderation,to be social.I notice it affects my fistulas for a day or two after.More painful/discomfort,inflammation,etc.

Since I rarely drink,when I do,I get buzzed quite easily.My theory is having a gin or vodka with ice,I can sip the drink and let the ice melt and water it down.I can get the pleasant social buzz and avoid getting drunk.I figure as the drink becomes mostly water I also stay hydrated..that's my two cents worth.

My birthday is this Saturday...perhaps a dram or two of a single malt won't be that bad.We'll see.
10-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #47
guest20
ellazmeanie

My Support Groups:
20 something years after quitting alcohol im suffering the long term consequences which are the cerebellar issues so would not recommend binge drinking to anyone or abuse of any substance be it drink drugs or junk food now wish I listened to mother n my peers in my teens lil wiser too late

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » How dangerous is alcohol, really?