• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just want to eat!

Hi, everyone! Sorry for this behemoth of a TMI post.

I'm a newly-diagnosed Crohnzie. I've been lurking the forum ever since I found out I had a fissure, which was in November. This place has been a constant source of inspiration and information, and I want to thank you all for being so open and contributing, as it really helps everyone. In that deck of reasoning, I figured I should follow suit.

I've never been able to put on weight, and during most strenuous activity during my life, I've reached the point just before people usually pass-out, but I've never actually blacked out, until I started taking NHB fighting classes ... which is where all this really started.

I never knew I had Crohn's or even suspected something was wrong, until my immune system decided it wanted to kill me. When I decided to get serious about being vegan (I had been vegan for years, but I was a total junk-food vegan) AND get serious about gaining weight, for someone who had Crohn's Disease and didn't know it, you could guess something bad was about to happen.

And it did. I went all-out trying to add more veggies and whole grains, while still eating the vegan equivalent of junk food (I had everything figured out from the best vegan donuts in town to the spiciest vegan sausages, etc, and I was eating ramen by the pound) I had reached 130 lbs (which at least for me was a miracle, even though I'm 5'9") when it started feeling like someone handed my gut bacteria a bunch of razor blades and told 'em to start a turf war. From that point on, it felt like I couldn't do anything. My first step was to rush to the Urgent Care doctor at Velo Med. Big mistake. The jerk took one look at my behind, turned his nose, didn't find anything, told me it was hemmorhoids, and I should increase my fiber intake as much as possible. That's when the pain spiked, and I first started taking sick days from work to recover. It's also when I really stopped eating. I noticed on the days after I fasted, I felt so much better, but I obviously couldn't maintain that lifestyle if I wanted to, y'know, live & breathe!

It was around mid-to-late-November when I went to see my PCP after first passing out in my martial arts class. After some bloodwork, she found I was blood & iron-deficient and vitamin-D deficient, as well as a bit low on B12, which shocked me, since I was expecting to be lower in a number of categories considering my self-imposed starvation. I thought the other shoe was going to drop then, even though I was hoping it was just dehydration. For the pain I was experiencing, she sent me to a good gastroenterologist, but by then the rectal area was hardening like a flexed muscle. This was about the same time I discovered that I could make the pain disappear by soaking in a bathtub.

At that point I had to move out of my living situation with my roommates - I needed my own darn bathroom! So during all of this, I made an emergency exodus to a one-bedroom apartment with free water - and good lord, that free water really comes in handy.

The GI doctor gave me a colonoscopy (My first! I'm 32 and never worried about anything like this), but while doing so, he found out I was almost a quart low on fluids (Remember that other shoe I was expecting? It dropped here.) and used the IV to fill me up. At that point he gave me the bad news - all the evidence pointed to Crohn's. (Which was confirmed via testing in late January)

As his proof, he displayed photos of my internals: a swiss-cheese-ulcered large intestine, an anal fissure, intense proctitis, inflammation throughout the large intestine, and evidence that the small intestine would be the same -- which an endoscopy proved in February.

The funny thing is, I've had stomach pain all my life, at times to the point where I would drop to the floor gasping for air. Sometimes it would last 5 seconds, other times an hour or two, but it would always dissipate fairly quickly. With that in mind, I always figured it was just my characteristic ADHD spasm & part of the territory; that I should just suck up and control it, since I didn't see anyone else doubling over every time they ate spicy food. It NEVER occurred to me that something worse was lying in wait within my entrails.

So, in late Jaunary, the GI doctor gave me Pentasa 500mg 4xday, and Prednisone 40mg/day, along with Diltiazem 1xday, various ointments, and told me to take sitz baths for the pain. Of course, the pain was so intense at this point that I was spending 6-8 hours a day in the tub, listening to podcasts, reading books, and watching Netflix on my phone. :-D, that was probably the only good thing about the whole experience. It seemed to be the only thing that worked for me.

Unfortunately, I think the excessive soaking (while usually helpful) along with a non-vegan liquid diet of Ensure (I was afraid to eat ANYTHING and by the end of January, was down to about 100lbs) caused an abscess, and some opportunistic bacteria was determined to drill through it like oil prospectors. Within the span of a week, the swelling down there was the size of a baseball, which on my small frame, prevented me from sitting down anywhere. Anything I ate or drank hurt like crazy on the way out. The doctors did NOT want to give me any kind of pain medication, and I was preparing to end it if this was all I had to look forward to.

Just before the endoscopy in February, the GI doctor took a second look at my new baseball-sized attraction, and surprise: it's an abscess! That's when he finally referred me to a surgeon, and prescribed antibiotics & a painkiller, Tramadol, which unfortunately, was too little, too late for this kind of pain; like beating a gorilla with a fly-swatter.

The surgeon was incredible. Throughout all of this, she and the nurses & secretaries from the GI doctor's office were just on-the-ball and so very helpful, I could cry. But especially the surgeon. During my consultation visit, she just fired away a host of questions and in 15 minutes, had the story of my life. It was amazing. I felt immediately that I could trust this woman to cut me open. Which, y'know, was kind of important, since that's what she was going to do ...

She gave me three options: 1. botox to numb the fissure and let it heal but it would cause incontinence, 2. pop the abscess, and 3. put in a seton. After reading through all of your experiences with these "options", I was forced to admit to her that doing all three was the best and only option (which she had initially suggested). And so, a week and a half later during surgery, she found two fistulas within the abscess, put two setons in, and bless her saintly heart, prescribed me oxycodone for the pain, which along with ice packs, really did make everything better.

I don't know how the rest of you deal with these awful setons. Personally, I don't mess with gauze; I just get the Men's Depends & wear 'em backwards to put all that padding to good use. Of course, that's also because the awful botox makes me incontinent. At age 32. Ugh.

During all this time, my GI doctor had me running test after test to ensure that I would be able to take Cimzia injections without complications, which he swore up & down would solve my biggest concern, which wasn't the Crohn's at all, but the proctitis and the fissure that keeps me FROM EATING ANYTHING. He was and is adamant that the Crohn's is causing the other symptoms.

So, finally, from November to April, at 5'9", I've gone from a skinny but healthy 130lbs to 99 lbs, have two setons, a pain in the behind, and my first pair of Cimzia injections! The stuff is like molasses.(After the first shot, I realized I'm so glad I'm not diabetic! Doing that everyday?! No way. It's sad, too, because I was just finally making my peace with my fear of blood-drawing needles, when suddenly I'm forced to give myself injections! Ha!) I'm also not even sure I'll be able to even take the Cimzia past the first 6 starter injections, because it's been a month and the insurance company still hasn't authorized it, and I still can't eat anything without severe pain.

That's it so far. I'm just tired, hungry, don't want to die, and I don't want to be in pain anymore. I am no longer lurking, and I have a great many questions to ask. I just wanted to share my story, ask some questions, and maybe provide a few answers for others.

Anyway, uh, yeah ... um,
HOWDY! GOOD MORNING!

annawato

Staff member
Welcome to the Crohns forum SciFi. It sounds like you've had a terrible time of it in the past few months and it can be so new and confusing when you first get diagnosed. Sounds like maintaning your weight due to pain is one of your most pressing problems so it may be worth asking your GI to suggest a nutritionist who can give you a diet to follow in the short term to allow yourself to heal. I've had this disease for years but have only just learnt how important it is to maintain a healthy diet, in particular protein which the body needs extra of when it is fighting inflammation and infection. This is only one small suggestions and i'm sure you've billions more so ask away when you feel up to it and we'll all see what we can do to help you.

Angrybird

Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are not doing well at the moment. If you have not already have a nosy at our fistula's and abscesses sub forum to meet some people who can totally emphasize with some of the difficulties you have been having: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76. I agree that that it worth asking to be referred to a dietician so you can discuss a diet that is not going to aggrivate things but will help you gain the lost weight - this may mean a liquid only diet, out of the ones I have tried in the past I liked the Modulen stuff the best (more info about this in our diet and sups forum). I really hope that things can turn around soon so you can start to feel better, please keep us updated on how you are getting on.

AB
xx

Hello SciFiGuy,
Wow, what a story. You have sure been through a lot.
I, like Angrybird above, wonder if a full elemental diet for a few weeks might help you out. I do not have nay experience with surgery, fistulas, abscesses or the meds that you are on; however, I do have successful experience with following a proper liquid diet. You can learn more about this in the enteral/elemental threads in the Treatment sub-forum.

Be sure to be supervised by a dietician or physician to make sure that you are getting the proper amount of calories and balanced nutrition. Because you are underweight and have wounds that need healing your caloric intake will be much higher than needed than the amount listed if you just google the amount for a healthy BMI for your height. You might need to take extra liquid vitamins and minerals as well.

Just because liquid is going in, does not mean that it will be liquid going out. If firmer stools become a problem, take PEG 3350 (MiraLax) daily to keep them soft enough to cope with the owwies that you have.

May you soon be feeling better.

Astra

Hiya SciFi
and welcome
I'm a SciFi nerd!

What an extraordinary story, poor you. I really hope you're gonna start feeling better soon.
Just know that we're all here for you
Lotsa Luv
Joan xxx

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes and the advice! I've been reading up on enteral nutrition, and will definitely look for a good nutritionist. Angrybird, that subforum is now my favorite place on the web. :) Happy, thanks for the info! I haven't tried the MiraLax, yet, but I will look into it immediately!

I agree with the miralax. It helps me out when I need to "go". Though I do have to take several doses at times, because my bowels don't like to clear out AT ALL!! Good luck to you! Hope you feel better soon!

Well, it's been about a year, and here's my update for posterity. Honestly, the best thing that happened to me was following through with that Miralax suggestion. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Miralax info! The Cimzia injections failed after about a year, but this wasn't all that surprising, since I have read that's been the case with quite a few others on this and other forums. (And not a moment too soon. I'm so glad I no longer have to inject myself.)
I'm now taking Remicade, Pentasa, Azathioprine, & Nifedipine, and there's no more swelling, although there's a whole lot of soreness, and blood seems to just sweat out from the skin near the surgical site. The funny thing is that I'm just so happy I can eat again that I don't even care anymore. Between the Miralax and the Remicade, I'm pretty much set!

Angrybird

Thanks for the update hun :) I am glad you are feeling happier about things although it sounds like there is still some progress to be made before you are 100%?

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
Wow...I can relate to your sad story.
You explained it all soo well. Like feeling better when starving yourself is something I feel like everyday.
Abscess...I fear I may have one. I relate too well to almost all you have said. Pain has been soo bad, no matter what I throw at it. I can not stay in the bathroom all day lol.

Hugs and support, Prey you feel better. :)

Three and a half years since the last update - this'll likely be my last - doing this now for anyone with similar issues to be able to search & see what helped. Everything has been pretty darn good (although I've still been waking up in late mornings, and early afternoons - I don't really know what to do about that, but my supervisor & co-workers have been so ridiculously understanding about the issue, I could cry). No more blood coming from the site of the surgery - although if I eat foods that get too blocky, it can still cause some mild obstructive symptoms (bleeding, constipation, etc), in which case, it's back to using the ice for a day or two, but not beyond that. Again, the Miralax and sitting on ice packs have been the greatest help towards resolving pain, bleeding, and constipation, bar none, while the Remicade pretty much keeps me on the planet.
The Remicade + Azathioprine + Miralax combo has stuck while everything else sort of fell by the wayside, and up until three weeks ago, it's been enough. Been sticking to a simple vegan diet and (up until three weeks ago) my list of "NEVER AGAIN" foods had shrunk rapidly - I've been eating corn chex in the mornings, and eating salads with all sorts of veggies on top, and various meat substitutes & ice cream substitutes, ramen (but only in soups with plenty of liquids), pretty much anything veggie, even some spicy foods every once in awhile - I even drank an entire carton (4x servings) of broccoli soup with no upset stomach & little gas this Monday - it was great! And those new nut-based cheese cultures (no cow needed!) are delicious.
But recently, the insurance wanted proof that I still needed the Remicade, so I had to hold off for two weeks, and one week for the Azathioprine - hoping it all still works, because if it does, I'm pretty much set. Heck, even the cost of the Remicade is better on my new insurance plan. (It's COMPLETELY covered!) Currently dealing with some sort of constipation/impaction, but no pain or symptoms as of yet (6th day) & otherwise hopeful.