• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still not yet diagnoiosed

Hi All,
I just have a quick question.
If im not going through a flare when i have my scopes done will the scope still pick up on the thickening in my
Terminal Ilium ???.
When i say not going through a flare i mean i am making less trips to the bathrom, by that i mean about 8 times a day not 12-15 times a day.
Im booked for my scopes next Tuesday the 24th april & i am very worried , do they give me my results straight away or do i have to wait till i go back to see my GI to get them ???
Any advice would be just great.

Thanks Fiona

Not sure if Im right but a friend who is a doctor told me because crohns is very sporadic it can be in diferent places in the GI Tract so if you are flareing it wouldnt be easy to find. I dont know but i guess they should be getting the signs from the blood tests first i guess. I have had a few colonoscopies and never found any thing . Last time they told me i had it in colon and with some in the Ileum. But the bloods where clear. It all leaves me very confused. If they find something like a polip or that they will tell you there and then. Biopsies take a lot longer and you will have to go back to the GI. The daily bathroom trips can vary with many changes such as , type of food and posssibly inflamation and many other things . Do not get worried, these things take time and only thorough testing can answer your questions.
I took three years for me to get diagnosed and even now im still waiting on results from recent tests .
Good luck and keep us posted.
Peter

Angrybird

Hello Fiona and welcome to the forum. A colonoscopoy can show inflammation in the large bowel and where it meets the small if there is any present here, if the problem is further up other tests would need to be done (pill cam for example), biopsies should also be taken as these look beyond the surface of the bowel. The doc can tell you a little about what they have seen straight away the but biopsy results take a bit longer so these would get discussed at your next GI appt. Have you had any bloods done? Did these show anything like increased inflammation in the body? I hope you get some answers soon, please keep us updated.

AB
xx