• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medication possible reaction

I’m new here, so hello. I have been an epic failure with medications and had surgery in 2008 that saved my life. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for 16 years and it has been a difficult road. I have had adverse reactions to all the serious medications 6mp, Immuran, & Remicade. I took Methotrexate before my surgery with Humira and it was not successful. Well, I have been suffering with my first flare since my surgery and have not been able to stay in the upward movement back into remission. I have been on Methotrexate for a month now.....not working. I have had some issues that I have been to my PCM (my GI is in Birmingham, AL) and I was told I had shingles. I have these bumps/pimples/blisters (they vary from time to time) and now I am having mouth issues. I read some of the other posts about mouth problems. Has anyone had skin issues and mouth sores with Methotrexate? I am injecting 25mg every week.

Sorry you have been having a horrible time at the moment have you talked to the doctor about increasing your folic acid dose. I was having some side effects with methotrexate and increasing folic acid really helped x

Angrybird

Hello there and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that the meds are not doing well for you, definetly get onto your GI about about checking out the above with the folic acid but they also need to be aware that you are not yet feeling the benifit of it. Out of interest how do things go when on steroids? They may be help get the inflammation under control so the mtx can do it's job. Also what kind of diet (if any)do you follow? Perhaps also being on a low residue/liquid only diet may help.

I will keep fingers crossed that you can be feeling better soon

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble :(

Kayleigh hit the nail on the head. Methotrexate interferes with folate metabolism and you're experiencing symptoms of various vitamin B deficiencies. I would ask the doctor to test your vitamin B12, vitamin B6 (folate) and every other B vitamin they're willing to test. Then if they provide you supplementation for a specific B vitamin, also take a complex B vitamin along with it as the University of Maryland Medical Center recommends this to avoid imbalances in B vitamin levels.

Oh, and you might as well get vitamin D done while you're at it since many with Crohn's Disease are deficient in that as well.

Please keep us updated! We're here for you anytime :)