• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Husband just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease

Hello, my name is Tina and my husband was just diagnosed with Crohn's disease. He has been in the hospital for three days for severe anemia and weight loss. He lost 30 lbs in a month, he is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weights around 139 lbs. He looked like a yellow skeleton when I took him to emergency. Since the blood transfusion he looks better, but he has a lot of swelling and bleeding in his intestine from the Crohn's and still has low blood count, fatigue and low blood pressure. Doc will meet with us this morning to tell us what is next. I know NOTHING about the disease and would like information so I can help him get better. Looking for support groups in the area, too.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Tina and welcome :) I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's recent diagnosis :(

Since he's in the hospital, obviously getting he stabilized is the first priority and I have no doubt that your doctors are going to do a great job doing exactly that. Once he does get stabilized then the doctors are going to recommend some drugs for him to take. When they make those recommendations, feel free to run them by us and we'll tell you everything you want to know and probably some that you don't :) In addition, you'll want to get him tested for vitamin D and vitamin B12 deficiencies since they are so common in people with Crohn's Disease.

There's a LOT to learn but start that process so you can advocate for your husband. This is unfortunately a life-long disease at present so the more you learn, the better.

We're here for you and your husband.

*hugs*

Angrybird

Hello Tina and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I am sorry to hear about hubbys diagnosis and that he is soo poorly with it :( When you can just start to have a look around the forum as there is a lot of really helpful info (and support) here and please do not hesitate to ask any questions. I hope things can improve soon so he can get back home, wishing you both all the best.

AB
xx

Thanks for the warm thoughts and prayers, my husband is going through a CAT scan right now to see the extent of the cancer. Will keep you posted...